Travel to/from New York City cruiseport

gkrnjlr

Go ahead and laugh but I am seriously determined to find an inexpensive way to do our cruise out of this port. We cruised out of NYC last year and enjoyed it - so we're thinking we'll take the 7 day cruise this time with two additional ports. BUT.....we live in SC and it would take us 11 hours to get to NYC.

If we drive up we'll be able to stop and see family along the way but that's a drive after getting off a ship, so we're thinking about flying. Flying is probably barely more than driving itself when it comes to gas, hotel, and tolls.

Does anyone know of an inexpensive way to do a cruise out of NYC? If we fly is there an airport or hotel that has free transportation (I know, you're laughing.....I would be, too.....) to/from the cruiseport the morning of the cruise?

Or is there something I'm not even thinking about?

Any good ideas on how to cut the travel expenses down for NYC?

Thanks!

have you thought about amtrak maybe instead of driving? its usually about the same time as if you had driven yourself without actually making you do the work. And many times it can be cheaper than flying. It should take you directly into Penn Station where you could easily transfer to the metro and stay in the city overnight or a day or two and get some sightseeing there as well.

Also check out busses from SC to NY. I know Greyhound has awesome deals to and from NYC. I'm from about an hour north of the city but I go to school in Boston... to get home I hop on a $15 bus. I'm sure it will be more from SC but probably relatively cheaper than flying or driving yourself.

I've seen fares to and from Maryland for about $20 each way. Not sure if that helps you much, though

You might look at the price of the ships transfer from the airport and then decide how you want to do it before flying into New Yourk City. Last fall my wife and I did a Northeastern Cruise out of New York City, the expenses went something like this: We flew into LGA and stayed at a local Hotel I got on "Hotwire" $130 a night including taxes. There was a free shuttle going over to the Hotel (Near Shea stadium). The front desk at the hotel recommended not to got back to the airport for a taxi to the port but to do a car hire from the hotel. We did the car hire and it cost us $50. Return cruise we had purchased a transfer from the cruiseline for $35 dollars a person. I hope this information helps. Tim

Go ahead and laugh but I am seriously determined to find an inexpensive way to do our cruise out of this port. We cruised out of NYC last year and enjoyed it - so we're thinking we'll take the 7 day cruise this time with two additional ports. BUT.....we live in SC and it would take us 11 hours to get to NYC.

If we drive up we'll be able to stop and see family along the way but that's a drive after getting off a ship, so we're thinking about flying. Flying is probably barely more than driving itself when it comes to gas, hotel, and tolls.

Does anyone know of an inexpensive way to do a cruise out of NYC? If we fly is there an airport or hotel that has free transportation (I know, you're laughing.....I would be, too.....) to/from the cruiseport the morning of the cruise?

Or is there something I'm not even thinking about?

Any good ideas on how to cut the travel expenses down for NYC?

Thanks!

Which cruiseport in NY or NJ are you leaving from. There are right now at least three...

Archived