Sights to see near Paddington Station in London

browneyes7

My husband and I will have a lay-over in London. We plan to take the train to Paddington Station from Heathrow. Are there any interesting or historical sights near Paddington Station?
How much time have you got? If you take the Tube, you can be at most central London sites within 20-40 minutes.

How much time have you got? If you take the Tube, you can be at most central London sites within 20-40 minutes.

We will have plenty of time. My husband would like to go to the Tower of London. Our problem is not knowing which bus or train to take to get there. We will be there in the middle of the night, and instead of sleeping, decided we would rather see some of London. (We'll have hours to sleep on our flight back to Houston.) I'm sure we can probably figure all this out, but would love to have help from those of you who know your way around London.:)

Thanks for any help you can give us.

browneyes7:rolleyes:

(Mary)

We will have plenty of time. My husband would like to go to the Tower of London. Our problem is not knowing which bus or train to take to get there. We will be there in the middle of the night, and instead of sleeping, decided we would rather see some of London. (We'll have hours to sleep on our flight back to Houston.) I'm sure we can probably figure all this out, but would love to have help from those of you who know your way around London.:)

(Mary)

Tube is easy to Tower Hill, which is the stop for the Tower.

Direct link on the Circle line. Pick the direction that marks itself for Victoria, and not for Baker Street/Euston/Kings Cross.

Look at the Transport for London site. London is an easy city to get around, but if it is very hot I'd avoid the tube.

Tubes don't run all night - but night buses do. You'll have to look at the TfL site for that.

Matthew

(Mary)

If you look up the sites you want to see they will tell you which tube stop is closest. It's a super easy city to get around. You can download a tube map from their site or if you pick up a city guide book at Border's or another book store they usually have a tube map in there.

We love the Tower of London, definately a place to see over and over again.

We will be there in the middle of the night, and instead of sleeping, decided we would rather see some of London. (We'll have hours to sleep on our flight back to Houston.)
What time do you arrive at Heathrow, and what time is your flight to Houston? I'm a bit puzzled by "the middle of the night" - you won't really be able to see the inside of any tourist sites if you're doing that then, literally.

Globaliser,

We fly into Heathrow at 10:30 p.m. We don't fly out until 10:30 a.m. the next morning. We plan to ride the train to Paddington Station and then probably catch buses to take us around the city. My husband wants to go to the Tower of London. I know we won't be able to see the inside of any of the buildings. We will have to save that for another trip. We are hoping to take a Northern European cruise in the future.

Thanks for your help.

browneyes7

Here's the link to the tube/underground: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/2625.aspx

You will also find links to the buses and should find all the info you need for times the services run. The tube/underground does not run 24 hours a day and I believe buses run a limited schedule from midnight until 5:30am.

You may be better off hiring a driver to take you around the city for a few hours although it will be very expensive.

We fly into Heathrow at 10:30 p.m. We don't fly out until 10:30 a.m. the next morning. We plan to ride the train to Paddington Station and then probably catch buses to take us around the city.
As belle907 rightly says, the Tube will stop running about the time you arrive in central London. Buses are relatively infrequent during the night. And, quite frankly, they are not always that pleasant then. You'll also find sightseeing from them a frustrating business, because they are (deliberately) very brightly lit. So you can't see much of the outside world.

Archived