Award ticket question???

Minnesota_Nice

I was wondering if anyone has experienced my question or has advice, etc.

My husband and I are traveling to Europe on and award ticket. We booked a Skysaver flight thru Delta. We booked it First/Business class the whole way. Well I had to make a change so that we could get there a couple days early. Anyway when I changed my flight they didn't have first class on my first leg that would fall into my award ticket parameters. But the rest of my flight is in First/Business.

MSP-LAX Coach - Northwest Flight

LAX-CDG Business Class -Air France Flight

CDG-BCN First - Air France Flight

BCN-ATL Business- Delta

ATL-MSP First- Delta

So heres my question finally. If the day of my flight there a seats available in First Class what are the chances that we could be bumped to First Class since we were originally on a flight that was First Class and we paid the miles for first class. I know that I am the one that intiated the change.

The Delta agent said to keep checking with them and if seats become available we could be moved up with no charge. But I am asking in the event that they don't open up. I ask to be waitlisted but the Delta agent said that becuase it was a codeshare flight they couldn't do that.

So has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

I was wondering if anyone has experienced my question or has advice, etc.

My husband and I are traveling to Europe on and award ticket. We booked a Skysaver flight thru Delta. We booked it First/Business class the whole way. Well I had to make a change so that we could get there a couple days early. Anyway when I changed my flight they didn't have first class on my first leg that would fall into my award ticket parameters. But the rest of my flight is in First/Business.

MSP-LAX Coach - Northwest Flight

LAX-CDG Business Class -Air France Flight

CDG-BCN First - Air France Flight

BCN-ATL Business- Delta

ATL-MSP First- Delta

So heres my question finally. If the day of my flight there a seats available in First Class what are the chances that we could be bumped to First Class since we were originally on a flight that was First Class and we paid the miles for first class. I know that I am the one that intiated the change.

The Delta agent said to keep checking with them and if seats become available we could be moved up with no charge. But I am asking in the event that they don't open up. I ask to be waitlisted but the Delta agent said that becuase it was a codeshare flight they couldn't do that.

So has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

I'm just trying to get this straight...you booked an MSP-BCN ticket into First/Business with miles and had confirmed seats up front on all segments. You then wanted to change the tickets but there was no availability up front and you were put in coach and you still used the same amount of miles?

Did you specifically request to go via LAX or was that all that was left? Seems a bit out of the way for you to head 1500miles back across the country...Perhaps you could try routing MSP-JFK-BCN or MSP-ATL-BCN, MSP-EWR-BCN, MSP-CDG-BCN...

I'd say your best bet (if you can't change the routing) would be to keep checking for F availability on MSP-LAX. I think if you wait until the airport all the Worldperks elites will get the upgrades several days before and you'd be left in coach. The NW programme gives unlimited upgrades so F rarely goes out with empty seats domestically.

Agreed. The only way to get that coach seat changed into a first class is to take care of it WAY before the day of travel. On the day of travel you will have all of the business travelers jockeying for upgrade positioning.

Agreed. The only way to get that coach seat changed into a first class is to take care of it WAY before the day of travel. On the day of travel you will have all of the business travelers jockeying for upgrade positioning.

Not necessarily, you guys. I am the first to say that I know very little about WorldPerks or SkyTeam. But according to boarding priorities, if I am not mistaken, miles award tickets may have a higher priority than comp upgrades or elite status.

The OP has to sit in coach from MSP/LAX only, correct???. Then nonstop AF to CDG in business, correct.

Not the worst of scenarios. No miles back. Sorry, OP

Keep checking for seats. Hopefully, you will find a couple available.

But I really think if you check in early and there are any seats left, you may have a higher priority than the elites.

Does the OP have access to the Crown Room or something similar with the business class ticket???? If so, that is where I would head IMMEDIATELY.

Does the OP have access to the Crown Room or something similar with the business class ticket???? If so, that is where I would head IMMEDIATELY.

I'm not familiar with Skyteam rules but I am with Star Alliance and oneworld. If you hold a sameday international business/first class ticket with them you'll be able to access the lounges if you otherwise wouldn't. i can't imagine Skyteam would be too much different. I'd say it is worth the OP presenting their LAX-CDG boarding pass at the MSP Worldclub.

I'm not familiar with Skyteam rules but I am with Star Alliance and oneworld. If you hold a sameday international business/first class ticket with them you'll be able to access the lounges if you otherwise wouldn't. i can't imagine Skyteam would be too much different. I'd say it is worth the OP presenting their LAX-CDG boarding pass at the MSP Worldclub.

Sorry, didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean just to go to the club-I meant to get some help on the fc seat to LAX. I know the AAngels work miracles and have frequently gotten my upgrade to clear or solved a problem BEFORE the list was turned over to gate control. Worth a try, anyhow.

1) If you book an award ticket using SkyPiles (an affectionate term some of us ex-DL flyers use) and any of the segments in a direction are first/business, the entire direction prices out at the first/biz redemption level. So a mixed coach and biz ticket prices as if it were biz for all segments. Now, this refers to one direction -- you can go biz one way and coach the other way and pay different amounts for each. But if there are any mixed award levels within one direction, it's the higher one. So the OP is paying the correct amount of miles.

2) NW upgrades their own gold and platinum elites on award tickets. However, if the OP is not NW gold/plat, that processing won't happen.

3) To get F on MSP-LAX, DL will have to issue the award seats from the inventory available to them. In addition, unless you are platinum on DL, you will pay a change fee if you get the upgrade on that segment.

4) Be sure to be checking continuously for F availability in the months/weeks before your flight. The elite upgrades start running 5-6 days out, so your best chance to get a DL upgrade is before then.

5) Since you are on an international biz ticket, on the outbound you will get access to the NW World Clubs at MSP (2 of them), the WC at LAX (in terminal 2, also used by AF biz passengers), the AF lounges at CDG (in most all buildings in the T2 complex - see the AF website for a full listing). The agents at the MSP WC might be of some assist, but unlikely - MSP-LAX is an elite-heavy route and even platinum elites have reported not receiving the complimentary upgrade on that route.

Depending on the length of your connection time at CDG, you can avail yourself of the AF arrivals lounge in T2C and grab a shower and change of clothes. Though there are showers in other lounges, this one has over a dozen shower rooms, so the waits are minimal.

On the return, you can use the AF lounge at BCN, the DL Crown Rooms at ATL (7 clubs), the DL Business Elite lounge at ATL Concourse E, the CO President's Club at ATL Concourse D, and the NW WorldClubs in MSP.

From the Skyteam.com website re: lounges:

"All international First and Business Class passengers travelling on a same day international flight operated by a SkyTeam member have access to these exclusive facilities."

And it doesn't matter if it is a mileage ticket or not.

If you are not already on the waiting list for the first class seat, your chances are next to nil that you will get upgraded on day of departure. Perhaps contact Northwest ahead of time?

Note that Minneapolis to LAX (along with San Francisco and Seattle) is a route with one of the highest concentration of platinum elite flyers. Often even these "top tier" flyers don't get upgraded. If you don't get upgraded by 6 days before departure, your chances are extremely slim. I flew over 125K miles on Skyteam last year, mostly with Northwest, so I know their rules fairly well.

John

3) To get F on MSP-LAX, DL will have to issue the award seats from the inventory available to them. In addition, unless you are platinum on DL, you will pay a change fee if you get the upgrade on that segment.

I am about 99% certain of this, but you might be able to get by without the change fee depending on your agent. Couldn't do the edit, thus the new post.

Not necessarily, you guys. I am the first to say that I know very little about WorldPerks or SkyTeam. But according to boarding priorities, if I am not mistaken, miles award tickets may have a higher priority than comp upgrades or elite status.

The OP has to sit in coach from MSP/LAX only, correct???. Then nonstop AF to CDG in business, correct.

Not the worst of scenarios. No miles back. Sorry, OP

Keep checking for seats. Hopefully, you will find a couple available.

But I really think if you check in early and there are any seats left, you may have a higher priority than the elites.

Well thru another forum called flyertalk I have been told that because I am holding a business ticket for the rest of my flights that I can go into the Crown Room in LAX but I am not sure if I could get into the one in MSP. If I can get in is that where I could ask for the upgrade or would I ask the check in agent. I don't travel alot and not ever in business or First (can't afford it:) ) so I really don't know a whole lot about the crown room so any help would be appreciated. I will continue checking and hoping that the seats will come up but I was thinking that maybe I would be able too since I did use the higher miles. Again I don't know a whole lot about flying business and upgrades.

Thanks

Well thru another forum called flyertalk I have been told that because I am holding a business ticket for the rest of my flights that I can go into the Crown Room in LAX but I am not sure if I could get into the one in MSP. If I can get in is that where I could ask for the upgrade or would I ask the check in agent. I don't travel alot and not ever in business or First (can't afford it:) ) so I really don't know a whole lot about the crown room so any help would be appreciated. I will continue checking and hoping that the seats will come up but I was thinking that maybe I would be able too since I did use the higher miles. Again I don't know a whole lot about flying business and upgrades.

Thanks

Yes, you will able to get into the one of the airport lounges in MSP. You have an international business class ticket-that is your key to entry. I don't fly Delta or NW, so I cannot tell you what is available. Flyertalker posted it would NW World Club.

But in the Admiral's Clubs (AA), there is usually a desk when you first enter. Those are the people that can help find your upgrade, IF one is available.

Evidently, Delta/NW have totally different rules than AA. Read the other posts-Flyertalker and fti fly NW and Delta. fbgd, Globaliser and myself do not.

Keep checking for seats. MAKE SURE you get your name on the upgrade waiting list a couple of weeks pre flight. If that doesn't work, get to the airport EARLY and ask at check in. If that doesn't work, go to the lounge. ASK for help there.

It does not matter what amount of miles you used. You had fc tickets when you first booked. But when you changed the dates, there were NO fc miles seats available to Delta on a Northwest flight. I know this is hard to understand, as airline award tickets and mileage upgrades are complicated even for those of us that fly 1000's of miles per year.

Your best chance is to keep checking for those elusive two seats. Get on the phone-call Delta as well. And get to the airport early. Ask at check in. Then get to the lounge and see if they can do anything for you.

Good luck!!!

2) NW upgrades their own gold and platinum elites on award tickets. However, if the OP is not NW gold/plat, that processing won't happen.

Is there no PRIORITY processing with Delta/NW???

Example:

Full award tickets that didn't get class of service due to no availability on a segment go to the head of the line.

Mileage upgrades go before "sticker" upgrades and can be confirmed in advance.

EVIP's go before mileage upgades (domestic), but miles + co-pay go before EVIP's (this policy varies depending on who you deal with)

Then you have EXP/PLT/Gold-within your waiting period. Freebie for EXP, stickers for PLT/GOLD

(I could have messed up the order, but you get the point).

Just curious!!!

Is there no PRIORITY processing with Delta/NW???

Example:

Full award tickets that didn't get class of service due to no availability on a segment go to the head of the line.

Since it is a DL award on NW metal, NW has no incentive to put people into those F seats ahead of its own FF'ers. Only what DL gets for an allocation to award as an NW partner and as part of its codeshare block.

Mileage upgrades go before "sticker" upgrades and can be confirmed in advance.

Yes, mileage upgrades would be bookable earlier than the elite upgrades, if there is availability. That's why you want to be looking further out than 6 days (when some of the elite upgrading starts)

EVIP's go before mileage upgades (domestic), but miles + co-pay go before EVIP's (this policy varies depending on who you deal with)

Then you have EXP/PLT/Gold-within your waiting period. Freebie for EXP, stickers for PLT/GOLD

That's why any award upgrade needs to be processed before the elites get their shot. Very few NW flights go out with empty F seats, as all elites get processed in their order.

(I could have messed up the order, but you get the point).

Just curious!!!

Yes, you will able to get into the one of the airport lounges in MSP. You have an international business class ticket-that is your key to entry. I don't fly Delta or NW, so I cannot tell you what is available. Flyertalker posted it would NW World Club.

But in the Admiral's Clubs (AA), there is usually a desk when you first enter. Those are the people that can help find your upgrade, IF one is available.

Evidently, Delta/NW have totally different rules than AA. Read the other posts-Flyertalker and fti fly NW and Delta. fbgd, Globaliser and myself do not.

Keep checking for seats. MAKE SURE you get your name on the upgrade waiting list a couple of weeks pre flight. If that doesn't work, get to the airport EARLY and ask at check in. If that doesn't work, go to the lounge. ASK for help there.

It does not matter what amount of miles you used. You had fc tickets when you first booked. But when you changed the dates, there were NO fc miles seats available to Delta on a Northwest flight. I know this is hard to understand, as airline award tickets and mileage upgrades are complicated even for those of us that fly 1000's of miles per year.

Your best chance is to keep checking for those elusive two seats. Get on the phone-call Delta as well. And get to the airport early. Ask at check in. Then get to the lounge and see if they can do anything for you.

Good luck!!!

Hey Greatam

So just to clarify what you are saying is I can get into the MSP lounge even though my flight from MSP is in coach but the rest of my flights are in business?

Also you think that I might have some priority with an upgrade because my original flight was in First/Business the whole way?

So my best bet if the seats don't come up before my flight is to get to the airport really early and ask the check in agent? If that doesn't work then go straight to the lounge and see what they can do for me?

I asked DL to waitlist me but they said they can't because it is a NW flight.

Thanks for all your advice I just don't know all the ins and outs of traveling Internationally or for that matter in First. :)

Hey Greatam

So just to clarify what you are saying is I can get into the MSP lounge even though my flight from MSP is in coach but the rest of my flights are in business?

YES-and ask there about moving you to FC

Also you think that I might have some priority with an upgrade because my original flight was in First/Business the whole way?

This I don't know. If you were flying AA, yes. But Flyertalker posted that this will not happen, as you are on a Delta ticket on a NW flight.

So my best bet if the seats don't come up before my flight is to get to the airport really early and ask the check in agent? If that doesn't work then go straight to the lounge and see what they can do for me?

I sure would. Don't get your hopes up, but it sure can't hurt to ask and point out that you used FC mileage. May or may not work, but it is sure worth a try.

Thanks for all your advice I just don't know all the ins and outs of traveling Internationally or for that matter in First. :)

Again, SkyTeam/Northwest World Perks/Continental One Pass have COMPLETELY different rules than OneWorld/AA. I don't fly anything other than AA/One World, so don't keep up on other airline alliances. Sorry, but there are some very knowledgeable SkyTeam/World Perks fliers on this board. They should be able to answer your questions better than I can. Anyone???

International business class passengers get lounge access for their entire trip, even if the first segment is in coach. Start off by going to the World Business Class line for your check-in at MSP. Should be much shorter. You should also get access to the priority security screening line....look for signs indicating "Elite" or "First Class/WBC". At MSP, there are two WorldClubs, one at the F/G concourse junction and a nicer one (IMO) at gate C12. More details HERE. You can go to whichever is more convenient, or if you have time, do a "tour". At LAX, the WC lounge is upstairs in T2. Take the elevator in the center of the concourse.

At CDG and BCN, you can use the AirFrance lounges as an international business class passenger. A list of AF lounge locations is HERE. Show your business class boarding passes for access. In ATL, you can use all of the Crown Rooms, as well as the BusinessElite lounge in Concourse E. Lounge locations for DL are HERE.

Also you think that I might have some priority with an upgrade because my original flight was in First/Business the whole way? So my best bet if the seats don't come up before my flight is to get to the airport really early and ask the check in agent? If that doesn't work then go straight to the lounge and see what they can do for me?

Again, highly unlikely that you will be able to get a day of departure upgrade due to NW's automatic upgrading of all elites, combined with your ticket being a DL award on NW metal. Best is to regularly contact DL to check on award availability for the MSP-LAX leg, as they would be able to upgrade you if it is released to them. I would do it a couple times a week up until 2-3 weeks before your flight, then daily.

Once you hit the 6 day before window, NW's automatic upgrading starts. First, they will upgrade all platinum elites on the flight. At 3 days out, they will expand that list to all plats plus all golds. At 1 day before, silvers get added to the list. Now, if that all happens and there are still seats left in F when you hit the airport, you might have a shot. Or you might not. Personally, I think the chances are slim, especially on an elite-heavy route such as MSP-LAX. Ask at the check-in desk, then try again at the WC. If you still are in back, and there are seats available in F (the WC agents should be able to tell you if F has checked in full or not), try the gate agent.

True. DL systems will only waitlist on DL metal. Which is why you need to keep calling back to DL to check again and again. Sorry, that's life with partner travel.

Here to give you all the help you need. The flight from LAX to CDG is a long one, so you will get a chance to enjoy the AF business product. If you have any other questions about the air portion of your trip, feel free to ask.

I had a similar issue. Using USAirways points, booked Biz seats for DH and I from RDU to Athens and then home from Istanbul on Star Alliance partners. We were in first or business on all segments except the Lufthansa leg from Istanbul to Frankfurt and the Dulles leg back home to RDU. After speaking to Lufthansa and United, it was very clear that the only way to make it to the front of the plane for these segments was to regularly call USAirways hoping that the airline version of the upgrade fairy had visited and freed up some award seats. After two months of calling once or twice a week and spending 10 or 15 minutes helping the agent understand what I was trying to do, I was aobut to give up. BUT, someone (i thought it was on this post, but I guess I was wrong) suggested using seatcounter dot com. Its this site that lets you see how many seats are available in each fare class (including awards) for your flights. So I just watched it, much easier and less painful than chattting up Indian Customer Service agents, and when suddenly their were three award seats on the IST/FRA leg, I called USAirways and 10 minutes later we were in the front of the bus! Now if United would do the same.....

Clay

• 3 weeks later...

Archived