Music on Dawn Princess

Larry613

My wife and I will be taking our first cruise on Princess after several on Royal Caribbean at the end of March to the Mexican Riviera. We were wondering if recent passengers on Dawn Princess on this itinerary could tell us what types of dance music we'd be likely to hear. The Horizon Court appears to have a decent-sized wood dance floor; is it actually used for dancing? I know we were disappointed to find the Ixtapa Lounge which had a nice dance floor on the Liberty of the Seas was much more apt to be used for activities other than dancing. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Larry in Tucson

My wife and I will be taking our first cruise on Princess after several on Royal Caribbean at the end of March to the Mexican Riviera. We were wondering if recent passengers on Dawn Princess on this itinerary could tell us what types of dance music we'd be likely to hear. The Horizon Court appears to have a decent-sized wood dance floor; is it actually used for dancing? I know we were disappointed to find the Ixtapa Lounge which had a nice dance floor on the Liberty of the Seas was much more apt to be used for activities other than dancing. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Larry in Tucson

I think the Horizon Court is the name for the buffett.

I've never seen the Horizon Court used for dancing...it doesn't mean it couldn't but I've sailed on her 12 times and haven't seen it yet.

Probably one of other lounges.

Music can change depending on the entertainers onboard, and I've seen

those change mid cruise...so it's just really hard for any of us to give

you a pat answer!

Have a wonderful cruise

Bon Voyage

We were on the Dawn for New Years. The Horizon Court dance floor is not used for dancing, rather they use it for things like their special buffets (sushi, sugar, ice cream,etc). There is a Salsa band that plays by the pool, probably for the Mexican Riviera season only; an "easy listening" (translate---elevator music) band from St. Lucia with no/little vocals in the Wheelhouse, and another in the wheelhouse with vocals but tunes probably from the 40's on, all older stuff, except of course the cruise standards like "Celebrate" and such like that.

If you like ballroom dancing with old time music, go to the wheelhouse. If you like modern dancing with rap/rock/hip hop, head for the disco. I am middle aged, so too young for the wheelhouse music and too old for the disco--both smoked me out anyway; so I was pleased to see the Salsa band had long hours, poor guys! They were fun to dance to.

Have a good time!

Great question, Larry. Thanks for asking. DH and I will be sailing on Dawn next month and we're avid music fans. Not so much for dancing, but just watching and listening to live music really thrills us.

It seems like entertainment on ships depends on luck and timing. Our first and last cruises really shined in this area, the rest were lack-luster. There was an amazing traditional jazz band from Canada on the Carnival Victory when we sailed her and the Celebrity Century had a fantastic string quartet from Eastern Europe.

Lounge music drives us crazy. As soon as we hear "Love is in the Air", we're making a location change. Ha Ha.

The Salsa band looks great!

When we were on the Dawn in 1998 the dance floor in the Horizon Court was used for dancing. This year, it was just part of the dining area - the center was used for the buffets with tables on the rest of the floor.

We were on the final Alaska cruise of the season. The Wheelhouse alternated between the deck band (rock and roll mostly) and a duo that played dance standards. We liked the duo, but we're serious ballroom dancers, so they were a good fit for us. Some of the specialty dance parties were in the Vista Lounge, and one or two were in the Disco.

If you are lucky enough to have " Phoenix Rising" on your cruise please take time to hear them. Great three piece band!! They will be in the Wheelhouse bar if they are on your ship. You can dance to their music or just be entertained by them. The last I heard they were to sail on the Island Princess on February 20? Princess keeps changing their schedule so not sure if this is correct, but please if they our on any ship you sail on give them a hi from Gene and JoAnn

If you are lucky enough to have " Phoenix Rising" on your cruise please take time to hear them. Great three piece band!! They will be in the Wheelhouse bar if they are on your ship. You can dance to their music or just be entertained by them. The last I heard they were to sail on the Island Princess on February 20? Princess keeps changing their schedule so not sure if this is correct, but please if they our on any ship you sail on give them a hi from Gene and JoAnn

I found out yesterday that Phoenix Rising will be on the Island Princees starting February 21. Please don't miss this fantastic band!!

I found out yesterday that Phoenix Rising will be on the Island Princees starting February 21. Please don't miss this fantastic band!!

Archived