Best conch fritters??????????

PH8

Since you will be here next week and may need to be sitting in the shade and under a misting fan, you might want to try the fritters at Mangoes on Duval or at Louie's Backyard. Both are more gourmet fritters but tasty none the less.....for plain old fritters, I second the stand at Mallory Square.

Clay-a key west local

Thanks all...............isnt there a stand near the aquarium that sells fritters?? I sorta remember reading that once.........

We'll be there from 7am till 2pm...............is ANYTHING open that early??????????

This was my favorite place in KW. Went 3 days in a row for breakfast. Eat in the backyard with the chickens running around. Drink coffee under the sail spread between the trees. Try the Key West Shrimp omelet, or the Shrimp 'n' Grits, or the really good blueberry pancakes, or any daily special. They have a web site. (blueheavenkw.com) By the time you finish breakfast the shops etc on Duval will slowly begin coming to life. I think the Conch train starts around 10. Its a good way to see KW in a short time. For a great lunch try the fried grouper sandwich at BO's Fish Wagon. Many good Key West websites on the internet. Print out a map before you go.

We live a few hours away from Key West and have gone a bizzillion times. Conch Fritters are pretty much Conch Fritters - and we've had plenty of them on the island. If you really want to taste a Conch try a Conch Chowder - then you can really taste it. Conch Fritters just taste of overly spiced batter - just about everywhere on the island. Like a previous poster wrote - it probably comes from a pre made mix. If you want something truly delicious try a Blackend Dolphin Sandwich (Mahi Mahi - not Flipper!). Yum!

Have you tried the conch fritters at Alabama Jack's on Card Sound Road between Miami and Key Largo (I think that's right) Anyway, they are the best I've ever had. Not from a mix at all. Big and melt-in-your-mouth flavorful. Every one in KW pales by comparison. The conch chowder at Louie's Backyard served with hot pepper sauce was especially tasty. I agree w/thatsright; Conch Chowder is very good.

Conch fritters, debated as much as key lime pie. My choice? The Conch Republic Seafood Company at the end of Greene Street. Although I'm not so impressed by their entrees, their appetizers are excellent. They also have fun bar that is sort of indoors and outdoors overlooking the historic seaport.

As for the pie, my choice is Pepe's Restaurant on Caroline Street. It's the oldest restaurant on the island, very funky, and gets the graham cracker crust just right...imo.

Archived