Panama tours Any suggestions

ggg

I was on the Volendam in January. The original brochure listed the Embera tour as 3 1/2 hours. (Demonstration village?) I booked on line, but when we received the brochure in our cabin, it had been changed to the actual village (and a 7 hour tour) for the same cost ($98) I was sure glad as the trip was awesome! Maybe HAL is changing all of their tours?

Mary

Just back from 2 back-to-back VOLENDAM 10 day Canal " and have updated info on the "Authentic Embera Village Tours" after discussing with shore ex folks and tour operator . . . see http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/qa-for-cruisers/

The ships use 5 or 6 different villages, and there is a lot of difference in terms of being "touristy" or "authentic." The cruise line/tour operators defiition of "authentic" is 1) there are real Embera indians (as opposed to synthetic ones??) who 2) actually live there. The more interesting and I would say "authentic" villages require a longer canoe ride, and right now, towards the end of our dry season, the river has dried up so that they cannot visit some of the villages.

Is it worth it? Absolutely. It will give you an interesting glimpse into a tribe and culture you would otherwise only meet on the pages of National Geographic, regardless of the village you visit.

Regards, Richard

• 1 year later...
Anne knows the area and is married to a Embera tribe member from this village. You have 8 hours ashore, which gives you enough time. Anne is a local so knows how to avoid any potential problem spots, and for most of the time you will be FAR far away from heavily populated areas. It will be one of the highlights of your trip . . . apart from sailling on the QUEEN MARY 2! Regards, Richard

I have been searching this board this morning and thank you for all the valuable information you provide CC members! I have a question re Cristobal Pier. If we did not do the Embera Indian Village tour (sounds like a long, very bumpy bus ride which would not be great for my arthritic back :() and you should not go into Colon (too dangerous and not much to see) what else would you suggest as a possible area to do on a private tour? I am not a shopper and while I would enjoy looking at the crafts at the flea market at the pier would not be buying. And we did a full transit in 06 so no need to do any tour that involves the locks..also I did think Gatun Lake was very beautiful...any tours ever involve that? Any help would be appreciated! LuAnn

This is the Princess description of the Embera Village. I am hoping it is the authentic village & that it will be offered on our cruise in 2011. Does it sound like the demo village to you? It is entitled Authentic Embera Village.

Travel by dugout canoe on a cultural visit to an Embera village in the heart of Chagres National Park.

Board your air-conditioned transportation for the drive to Chagres National Park. En route, your guide discusses the history and heritage of these native people, who call the rainforest home. Arriving at the park, board a dugout canoe ? a vessel crucial to both Spanish and native settlers ? and cruise upriver to the Embera village. Keep an eye out for monkeys, toucans, and sloths. At the village, the chief greets you with a traditional welcome. Take in a performance of native music, song and dance. Stroll about the village and interact with these gentle people and browse for traditional crafts. Please remember you are a guest in the village: Act with common sense and sensitivity to the Emberas' privacy. A snack and a complimentary beverage are served before the return trip to the ship.

SPECIAL NOTES

Wildlife sightings, while common, are not guaranteed. Embarking and disembarking dugout canoes requires dexterity and flexibility. The landing is a rudimentary put-in point with no handrails or steps. Reaching the village requires climbing an incline; a handrail is available and a guide assists passengers. The Embera people wear minimal clothing; women do not cover their breasts.

I also want to add my thanks to you for all of your help on this forum.

Y'all make me feel I'm back at work on the ship, instead of on the coffee farm!

I did think Gatun Lake was very beautiful...any tours ever involve that? Any help would be appreciated! LuAnn

Most cruise lines use the same couple of tour operators in Panama. They offer one that will be called something like "Gatun Lake Safari" or something similar. It is a really fun tour and the ONLY one where I can virtually guarantee you will see wildlife! The first time I went we saw 5 of the 6 kinds of monkeys, iguanas, cayman, turtles, birds, sloths. The guy who runs it lives on a houseboat on Gatun Lake and he knows where the animals hang out. He serves a really nice Panamanian lunch on his houseboat, and then you can visit a waterfall, fish, kayak, or jump off the second story of his houseboat into the lake. It is a beautiful day and you will see some of the expansion dredging going on for the Canal.

This is the Princess description of the Embera Village. I am hoping it is the authentic village & that it will be offered on our cruise in 2011. Does it sound like the demo village to you? It is entitled Authentic Embera Village.

Travel by dugout canoe on a cultural visit to an Embera village in the heart of Chagres National Park.

Board your air-conditioned transportation for the drive to Chagres National Park. En route, your guide discusses the history and heritage of these native people, who call the rainforest home. Arriving at the park, board a dugout canoe ? a vessel crucial to both Spanish and native settlers ? and cruise upriver to the Embera village. Keep an eye out for monkeys, toucans, and sloths. At the village, the chief greets you with a traditional welcome. Take in a performance of native music, song and dance. Stroll about the village and interact with these gentle people and browse for traditional crafts. Please remember you are a guest in the village: Act with common sense and sensitivity to the Emberas' privacy. A snack and a complimentary beverage are served before the return trip to the ship.

SPECIAL NOTES

Wildlife sightings, while common, are not guaranteed. Embarking and disembarking dugout canoes requires dexterity and flexibility. The landing is a rudimentary put-in point with no handrails or steps. Reaching the village requires climbing an incline; a handrail is available and a guide assists passengers. The Embera people wear minimal clothing; women do not cover their breasts.

I also want to add my thanks to you for all of your help on this forum.

First all of the villages are "authentic" in the sense that they are Embera folks who actually live there. A few are more into the "tourist biz" and offer things like . . . tiled bathrooms with flush toilets for gringos!! Wow! and have "adjusted" the traditional Embera ways of doing things, albeit with a nice explanation for the tourists . . . i.e. the guys wear beaded skirts and then loin clothes and the women wear trinkets and coins to cover their breasts. MY Embera friends from Rio San Juan de Pequini laugh at their cousins and say, "WE are the REAL Embera!" The issue of bare breasted women is a big issue amongst the Embera. The older women resent the younger women who are introducing these outside ideas and rebelling by covering their breasts. Gee, if they only knew.

Anyway, the tour operators use about 6 different villages to avoid overwhelming any one village, and you never know which one you will be going to. The Embera chiefs help in saying who will take guests when, and some of it depends on the amount of water in the rivers. At certain times of the year, or depending on the amount of water the Canal is drawing off Madden Lake, the river level can be too low to get to what I consider are some of the "better" villages.

That being said, it IS a wonderful, unique experience whichever village you go to. I had folks come back on the ZUIDERDAM muddy, dripping wet, and saying, "That's the best shore excursion I have ever been on" and "The was the best experience of my life." I hesitate to over sell this tour, or overdo it in creating expectations, but seldom have I heard anyone complain.

So I hope that helps! I've got more, and pictures on my blog (see below). These are warm, wonderful people and it is a unique experience. It's not for people who have serious mobility problems. Canes, walkers, knee and hip replacements, maybe should think of something else, but if you can do it, it is unique and fun.

Regards, Richard

Y'all make me feel I'm back at work on the ship, instead of on the coffee farm!

Most cruise lines use the same couple of tour operators in Panama. They offer one that will be called something like "Gatun Lake Safari" or something similar. It is a really fun tour and the ONLY one where I can virtually guarantee you will see wildlife! The first time I went we saw 5 of the 6 kinds of monkeys, iguanas, cayman, turtles, birds, sloths. The guy who runs it lives on a houseboat on Gatun Lake and he knows where the animals hang out. He serves a really nice Panamanian lunch on his houseboat, and then you can visit a waterfall, fish, kayak, or jump off the second story of his houseboat into the lake. It is a beautiful day and you will see some of the expansion dredging going on for the Canal.

First all of the villages are "authentic" in the sense that they are Embera folks who actually live there. A few are more into the "tourist biz" and offer things like . . . tiled bathrooms with flush toilets for gringos!! Wow! and have "adjusted" the traditional Embera ways of doing things, albeit with a nice explanation for the tourists . . . i.e. the guys wear beaded skirts and then loin clothes and the women wear trinkets and coins to cover their breasts. MY Embera friends from Rio San Juan de Pequini laugh at their cousins and say, "WE are the REAL Embera!" The issue of bare breasted women is a big issue amongst the Embera. The older women resent the younger women who are introducing these outside ideas and rebelling by covering their breasts. Gee, if they only knew.

Anyway, the tour operators use about 6 different villages to avoid overwhelming any one village, and you never know which one you will be going to. The Embera chiefs help in saying who will take guests when, and some of it depends on the amount of water in the rivers. At certain times of the year, or depending on the amount of water the Canal is drawing off Madden Lake, the river level can be too low to get to what I consider are some of the "better" villages.

That being said, it IS a wonderful, unique experience whichever village you go to. I had folks come back on the ZUIDERDAM muddy, dripping wet, and saying, "That's the best shore excursion I have ever been on" and "The was the best experience of my life." I hesitate to over sell this tour, or overdo it in creating expectations, but seldom have I heard anyone complain.

So I hope that helps! I've got more, and pictures on my blog (see below). These are warm, wonderful people and it is a unique experience. It's not for people who have serious mobility problems. Canes, walkers, knee and hip replacements, maybe should think of something else, but if you can do it, it is unique and fun.

Regards, Richard

Thank you, Richard. Your explanation was very thorough. I also am enthralled by the Safari Tour as we love to see wildlife. If you could only do one of these excursions would you have a preference? I am assuming the Embera Village.......;)

• 1 month later...

Hi Linda! I can't speak for Princess per se, and I don't know for certain which ship/itinerary you are on . . . I'm assuming you may be on an itinerary which disembarks people for tours in Gatun Lake . . . If that is the case, my understanding is that it is the Panama Canal Authority and not the cruise lines that only allows people to disembark in Gatun Lake who are taking tours that are booked through the cruise line. The reason for this is that there is nothing at "Gatun Lake Yacht Club" [and that's a misnomer if ever there were one!] . . . no taxis, nada. It is a restricted area where the general public is not allowed, hence the reason independents aren't allowed. Frequently when a Holland America or Princess ship is in Anne Gordon is working for the tour company as a guide for the trips that go to the Embera Village.

Hope that helps! Regards, Richard

Hi Linda! I can't speak for Princess per se, and I don't know for certain which ship/itinerary you are on . . . I'm assuming you may be on an itinerary which disembarks people for tours in Gatun Lake . . . If that is the case, my understanding is that it is the Panama Canal Authority and not the cruise lines that only allows people to disembark in Gatun Lake who are taking tours that are booked through the cruise line. The reason for this is that there is nothing at "Gatun Lake Yacht Club" [and that's a misnomer if ever there were one!] . . . no taxis, nada. It is a restricted area where the general public is not allowed, hence the reason independents aren't allowed. Frequently when a Holland America or Princess ship is in Anne Gordon is working for the tour company as a guide for the trips that go to the Embera Village.

Hope that helps! Regards, Richard

We are considering the Coral Princess, Ft Laud to LA. After the canal, it stops at Fuerte Amador. Does this help in regards to my question

Linda, If this is your itinerary

Fuerte Amador, Panama (for Panama City) Arrive 8:00AM Depart 6:00PM

you certainly have time to book an Embera Tour with Anne Gordon . . . and you certainly can get off the ship and do what you want. Assuming the ship is cleared by 8:30AM-9AM and back-on-board is 5:30PM, you'll have adequate time! Book it and have a blast!

Regards, Richard

Linda, If this is your itinerary

Fuerte Amador, Panama (for Panama City) Arrive 8:00AM Depart 6:00PM

you certainly have time to book an Embera Tour with Anne Gordon . . . and you certainly can get off the ship and do what you want. Assuming the ship is cleared by 8:30AM-9AM and back-on-board is 5:30PM, you'll have adequate time! Book it and have a blast!

Regards, Richard

Thanks Richard. We decided to book. My cousin's grew up in Panama. When my parents went, they sent a pic of the flag to watch for and that was where they lived behind. My uncle used to pilot the cruise ships through the canal, eons ago

Richard, I have read your extensive and very interesting web site. Might you know anything about the Princess Lake Gatun fishing tour? I understand, at least from Princess, that about half of the time (2.5 hours) is transportation and the remaining 2.5 hours is fishing. Do you know anything about the size of the vessel used, might it be covered, etc? Do people tend to enjoy this tour?

Thanks

I'm throughly confused. I did't think that full transits had the option of excursions to this village. We'd like to visit, but I thought full transits went straight through and just didn't stop anywhere. Yes, I'm dumb about the Panama Canal cruises-please enlighten me. If it's any help, we're on IP 10/10 FLL to ACA. Thanks!

The itin for the IP on Oct. 2010 goes from FLL to LAX with a stop in Acapulco, is that the one you are on? If it is then the stop at Ft. Amador will take care of your tours in Panama. Ships that are going from ATL-PAC generally don't have tours unless they are including a stop at Ft. Amador.

The 10 Day cruises with Island Princess only stop for a few hours in Puerte Amador. I didnt think there was time to do the "village" tour??. We are on the 30 Dec 10 day FLL ACA and we are there from 500pm to 1000pm. I am not sure about 10/10 FLL ACA I dont see that sailing.

Richard, I have read your extensive and very interesting web site. Might you know anything about the Princess Lake Gatun fishing tour? I understand, at least from Princess, that about half of the time (2.5 hours) is transportation and the remaining 2.5 hours is fishing. Do you know anything about the size of the vessel used, might it be covered, etc? Do people tend to enjoy this tour?

Marne, I enjoyed it . . . and even caught something! Actually I've heard of folks who have caught some BIG peacock bass . . . luck of the day, I guess . . . strictly catch and release . . . but a nice ride off the beaten path on Gatun Lake.

Evidence:

peacock-bass-fishing.jpg?w=409&h=336

Review: http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/peacock-bass-fishing-on-gatun-lake/

Regards, Richard

The 10 Day cruises with Island Princess only stop for a few hours in Puerte Amador. I didnt think there was time to do the "village" tour??. We are on the 30 Dec 10 day FLL ACA and we are there from 500pm to 1000pm. I am not sure about 10/10 FLL ACA I dont see that sailing.

I think the actual sailing date from FLL was Oct. 11 2010, I was just looking for sailings that would fit the itin. I sure there would not be a Embera village tour on your particular sailing since it is an abbreviated stop and a trip to the village would be a daylight tour. You just need to schedule another trip to Panama, just too much to see in one short stop;):)! Hope you enjoy!

First off, just want to say how wonderful you've been with answering everyone's questions, Richard. So wonderful to have you as a resource. I've yet to make it through your blog but I can tell there will be some wonderful reading there.

I will be travelling on RCCL's Jewel of the Sea in January with my 3 children (6, 9 & 13). From what I can tell from the itinerary, we will be docked at Colon from 8am to 6 pm. I would LOVE to have your opinion on what the best option would be to do with kids. There is just so much for them to learn & experience on a cruise.

Thanks in advance,

joann

OK, I just lost all that, so I will try again . . .

First off, just want to say how wonderful you've been with answering everyone's questions, Richard. So wonderful to have you as a resource. I've yet to make it through your blog but I can tell there will be some wonderful reading there.

I will be travelling on RCCL's Jewel of the Sea in January with my 3 children (6, 9 & 13). From what I can tell from the itinerary, we will be docked at Colon from 8am to 6 pm. I would LOVE to have your opinion on what the best option would be to do with kids. There is just so much for them to learn & experience on a cruise.

Thanks in advance,

joann

Joann, read my blog! http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/canal-cruise/ Seriously, I put a lot of time and effort into it, and try to answer some of these questions. Specifically I think it will help you make a tour choice. A lot depends on the area which interests you the most: history, canal, natural history and wildlife, or culture. Kids your age would love the Embera tour. I know it is pricey, but it is a unique opportunity and something your kids would enjoy. The Embera kids love interacting with visitor's kids. The "Gatun Lake Safari" (or similar name, each cruise line calls it a little different) would also be excellent. You will see monkeys and other animals, you go to this guys houseboat for lunch, your kids can jump off the second floor into the lake . . . maybe get eaten by cayman and save you a lot of college money. Either one would give them a lot to talk about when they get home.

Regards, Richard

Richard,

I will be on the Jan. 22 sailing of the Maasdam from San Diego. We arrive in Fuerte Amador at 6pm on Sunday, Jan. 31 and sail at 4 am on Mon. Feb. 1. Only three tours are offered by HAL. "Colonial Panama by Night," "Miraflores Locks by Night, and Panama's History in Dance". They all start about 6:15pm and last 3 - 3 1/2 hours. We would miss dinner. Are these tours worth it? Should we just get off the ship and walk around in Fuerte Amador? Or should we bother?

We were originally on another sailing on the Statendam, which was cancelled and this was offered instead at a considerable discount for the inconvenience. We jumped at it, but in retrospect we feel that we will not get much time to experience Panama except for the canal experience.

Do you have any suggestions? Does the tender run all night if we choose to disembark after dinner?

Thanks for your help.

Terri

Hi Richard,

I am also on the Jewel in January. You posted that the ship lets people off in Gatun Lake and then docks in Cristobal however my itinerary says it stops in Colon...

Keeping that in mind then can we play our own private tours?

Thanks,

Tara

While I can't keep up with every cruise line and every ship's itineraries, there are three different docks in the city of Colon:

Colon 2000 partly owned by Carnival

Pier 6 in the Cristobal section of Colon

And not far from Colon 2000 the new pier which serves Royal Caribbean

but all are in Colon.

In the Amador section of Panama City you have "Fuerte Amador" or "Amador" or whatever . . . ships tender in to the end of the Amador peninsula . . . a short cab ride from downtown Panama City.

Regards, Richard

Archived