Prince William Sound Tour Suggestions

tekjr1

We have read that access to the Hubbard Glacier may be restricted this year due to its rapid advancement. With this in mind I still want to get up close and personal with the glaciers around PWS. Could those with experience with this type tour give me their suggestions. I'm hoping to maximize our time to see active glacier calving.

Thanks,

Tom

Look for Chenega's posts, very detailed. But the overall best PWS boat tour out of Whittier goes to Ester Passage, so consider looking at that one to book.

With a calving priority, you want tour length- so avoid the short tours, longer= more time for the chance opportunity of calving.

Hey thanks a bunch. I think that would be the PWS Tours people. I booked a tour with major earlier today but I will cancel and re-book.

All three operators out of Whittier are excellent but my preference is for Prince William Sound Cruises and Tours (http://www.princewilliamsound.com) and their trip through Esther Passage and Barry Arm. The glaciers in Barry Arm are quite active, particularly the Surprise Glacier which never disappoints. You sometimes get very close (less than half a mile) and can get a real show. This trip runs about six hours.

Philips Cruises and Tours (http://www.26glaciers.com) runs the biggest and fastest boat into College Fjords but they always seem to rush things for my taste. Major Marine goes into Blackstone Bay (as does Prince William Sound Cruises and Tours) to see ten glaciers in a four hour trip. I've seen active calving here to but I think the longer trip maximizes your changes for wildlife viewing as well. Last year we saw a pod of ten orca, six black bears, lots of sea otters, and some very active glaciers on the Esther Passage cruise.

They also feed you crab cakes or chicken and their crews are outstanding and very experienced in the area.

Hello Budget Queen and others. I've never seen puffins in Prince William Sound; wife saws it is not their habitat. Puffins are readily seen on the longer Seward trips that go to Kenai Fjords National Parks and the Chiswell Islands. They are all over the place in the Chiswells particularly in the mid-summer months.

You do see the large kittiwake area (similar to a seagull) just outside of Whittier but, as you've said, wildlife is more common out of Seward.

For fans of puffins who don't want to go out on the water, the Alaska Sealife Center in Seward has an excellent exhibit with live puffins and other birds of the area. I was told the area was designed by Disney Imagineers and you get views both above and below the water.

Hello Budget Queen and others. I've never seen puffins in Prince William Sound; wife saws it is not their habitat. Puffins are readily seen on the longer Seward trips that go to Kenai Fjords National Parks and the Chiswell Islands. They are all over the place in the Chiswells particularly in the mid-summer months.

You do see the large kittiwake area (similar to a seagull) just outside of Whittier but, as you've said, wildlife is more common out of Seward.

For fans of puffins who don't want to go out on the water, the Alaska Sealife Center in Seward has an excellent exhibit with live puffins and other birds of the area. I was told the area was designed by Disney Imagineers and you get views both above and below the water.

Thanks for the information. I've seen them every time on the Kenai Fjords boat trips and at Gull Island out of Homer is also a cheap close up place to add. I'll copy your post to the other board, since I mentioned you. :)

Archived