Self debark for US Permanent Residents?

jenscruise

Hi everyone!

I'll be going on my second Carnival cruise in October. My husband is a UK citizen/US Permanent resident with green card.

Last cruise was on the Carnival Paradise, and since our last port of call was St. Thomas, we didn't have to clear immigration in Miami, enabling us to self-debark without a worry.

However, since we will be clearing immigration in Port Canaveral this time around, I wonder if my husband's immigration status will keep us from enjoying the convenience of self-debark.

Also, at what point will he receive his passport and green card back? Will he get it back at customs/immigration on debarkation day, which is what might necessitate us waiting until our color is called? Or do they give those back earlier? Last time he got it back to keep after clearing immigration at St. Thomas, but I think that was just a lucky itinerary for us last time around. :o

Any help is appreciated, and will help us decide whether or not we will have time for a tour of Cape Canaveral post-cruise.

Thanks!

I cant give you a real specific answer, but I did self disembark and there were many Mexicans in the lines in front of me and others who it took customs about 30 minutes per family to clear, so they did self disembark, but they were not permanent citizens but from Mexico. This was the last time I went out of Galveston. No one said the self disembark was only for U.S. citizens.

I've been through this many times on Carnival. My boyfriend (of just about 10 years) is from the UK (and has a green card). When I've cruised with him and his daughter, there is a disembarking lecture the day before reaching the last port. Then, at about 6am, day of, all non-US citizens have to gather in a designated lounge. Immigration officers come aboard, and clear/immigrate everyone. They don't hold/keep anyone's passport or greencard. I usually go with him, his daughter and her boyfriend (all English), and immigrate back into the U.S. with them, since we're in the same household. The whole process took less than an hour for everyone on board who was non-US, and then everyone disembarks, later in the morning, in the usual manner.

In some ports, we've immigrated off the ship, but the process is the same as with everyone else at that point. Except, again, since we're in the same household, I get into line with him for non-US. Nice, short line usually.

For the Cape, there are two bus tours of Kennedy, if that's what you have in mind. The one that goes out to Cape Canaveral is very good! They take you to the rocket garden, where Shephard first launched, at to the site of Apollo 1 (very moving). The tour guides and docents are very knowledgeable.

I haven't been on the other tour (all about NASA?). It's usually more popular, but sells out early in the day.

Excellent. So it sounds like once the painful 6am immigration process is done (my husband is a grumpus in the morning! :o), then we'll be able to self-assist debark.

Thanks for the helpful information!

That's one worry I can check off my list. Now if I can only figure out how to get ahold of some Bahamian immigration forms since I'm doing e-docs...

In Mobile yesterday anyone could use self-assist debark. CBP had three lanes set up. Lane one was exclusively for foreign nationals and green card holders. Lanes two and three were exclusively for US citizens. The rules may vary from port to port but most likely he will be allowed in Port Canaveral. The two of you may need to go through separate lines however.

Archived