Viking Rhine Cruise in May ???

PinkMEB

I've been on barge cruises, but this is my 1st river cruise. We board in Basel and end up in Amsterdam. What kind of weather can we expect in mid-May? Are evenings all casual? Any observations or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Pink

;) Four of us ladies did the same river cruise in reverse in May 2006 with Viking River cruises. We did have rain & cool weather, but it did not slow us down. In fact, in the Black Forest in Germany we had snow so I would take a hooded coat that is weather proof. Better safe than sorry. We had our coats because we have learned the hard way not to go to Europe without them !!!

The towns were great & we had a grand time !

As far as dress, most nights were casual with some dresser nights such as the Captains Dinner. The men wore ties & suits or sport coats while ladies had dresses or a nice suit for the dressy nights.

This will be a great adventure!

Happy travels,

Beckaj:D

;) Four of us ladies did the same river cruise in reverse in May 2006 with Viking River cruises. We did have rain & cool weather, but it did not slow us down. In fact, in the Black Forest in Germany we had snow so I would take a hooded coat that is weather proof. Better safe than sorry. We had our coats because we have learned the hard way not to go to Europe without them !!!

The towns were great & we had a grand time !

As far as dress, most nights were casual with some dresser nights such as the Captains Dinner. The men wore ties & suits or sport coats while ladies had dresses or a nice suit for the dressy nights.

This will be a great adventure!

Happy travels,

Beckaj:D

We traveled the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel April 17 to April 24, 1999. (I just happen to have a copy of our itinerary in front of me.) That year the weather was great. We later traveled in Switzerland, Italy, Germany, France and Belgium by automobile on that same trip. I don't recall any cold weather. So it seems to be the "luck of the draw".

The first part of your trip on the Rhine after you leave Basel may not be too interesting. The scenery is not great. However, you will go through several locks, and those can be interesting. The very best, and beautiful portion of the Rhine is between the confluences with the Main and Mosel rivers. Have your camera ready at all times there.

If you have not done so, I suggest you consider a few days in Switzerland prior to your river cruise. The "Glacier Express" is a beautiful trip. We rode it from Zermatt to St. Moritz. You might want to travel in the opposite direction. The trip takes all of one day. I think we bought Swiss Rail Passes and they covered that train in addition to another day or two of train travel.

You probably would want to book hotels at either end of the train ride. That should be easy.

If you fly into Zürich, getting from the airport to the central train station (Banhoff) is easy by train.

There are also several hotels close to the Basel rail station, and others closer to the docks.

Bob :p

We just did the reverse trip last Nov. on the Viking Sun......We loved the trip, thought the food was great......The excursions were well planned, however we had a hard time hearing the guides.....now hear that Viking may go to head sets........We thought the trip was well planned and would go on Viking again.......however hearing that others are offering wine with dinner and head sets with tours......we'll look around...........Jim and Marge, Oxford MS

Archived