Freedom of the Seas in San Juan, PR

I noticed that Freedom doesn't get to PR until 5pm. Are there many tours that can be done at San Juan?

That is one of the reasons that I have not been interested in booking Freedoms Eastern route. I, personally, think that is a very poor time to arrive in San Juan. The forts are closed and exept for walking the streets in Old San Juan the only things really available are bars and restaurants.

Is there anything to do for the kids at all with docking so late? We plan to just stay on board. We have been to the fort and it won't be open anyway by the time we get there. I was hopeful they might have a deck party that night? I don't remember any thing right at the pier except maybe shops.

We went on Freedom end of January. Did not set up any tours in San Juan. When we got off the ship, many private tour operators were there offering their services. We took advantage of one of them for $20 per person. We boarded an air conditioned bus and went on a brief Old San Juan tour, stopped at the Fort for about 45 minutes (it closes at 5pm ship time), stopped at a scenic overlook for photos, then were dropped off again in the shopping area of old San Juan. We walked around the shops for a bit then headed back to the ship. Got back on board around 7:30pm. All in all - it was worth the $20 per person. I do recommend you screen your driver for personality and English skills. Ours was terrific - it seemed some others - not so much.

I still think it's a really BAD decision on RCCL's part to arrive in the evening. San Juan has so much more to offer than what you can see during such a short window.

Archived