RCCL Alaksa with DD10 yrs

Jakdgr

Hi Everyone

My DH, DD 10 and I are on RCCL's Serenade to Alaska 23 August (first time cruisers) and have some questions:confused:. We are flying from Australia & this cruise is the first part of a longer holiday so trying to minimise winter luggage (more room for souvenirs:D !)

- Dining Room - is there a kids menu in the dining room each night? Our DD is a fussy eater but she wants to do the formal night and dress up.

- Kids dress for casual night dinners in dining room - what's the opinion on nice jeans/denim for kids or any ideas? (Trying not to pack too much)

- DD is quite shy initially in new situations so likes to know stuff in advance. What can she expect? Kids Club sounds great but what happens if not many kids in the 8-11 category (northern holidays will have just finished)? Do they combine the club with either older/younger kids?

- Covered heated pool - is this only for adults or are there times when kids can use with parents?

- Kids sea sickness medications - so far she's never had any issues on short boat trips but want to be prepared - any recommendations?

Look forward to hearing any suggestions/comments. Many thanks :)

Jo

Hi Everyone

My DH, DD 10 and I are on RCCL's Serenade to Alaska 23 August (first time cruisers) and have some questions:confused:. We are flying from Australia & this cruise is the first part of a longer holiday so trying to minimise winter luggage (more room for souvenirs:D !)

- Dining Room - is there a kids menu in the dining room each night? Our DD is a fussy eater but she wants to do the formal night and dress up.

- Kids dress for casual night dinners in dining room - what's the opinion on nice jeans/denim for kids or any ideas? (Trying not to pack too much)

- DD is quite shy initially in new situations so likes to know stuff in advance. What can she expect? Kids Club sounds great but what happens if not many kids in the 8-11 category (northern holidays will have just finished)? Do they combine the club with either older/younger kids?

- Covered heated pool - is this only for adults or are there times when kids can use with parents?

- Kids sea sickness medications - so far she's never had any issues on short boat trips but want to be prepared - any recommendations?

Look forward to hearing any suggestions/comments. Many thanks :)

Jo

It's been 4 years since we cruised Alaska, but it was our best cruise so far! We were on Serenade's first trip to Alaska.

For casual dinners my girls wore capris of some sort, but not denim, we like to dress a bit for dinner, even on casual nights. It was summer, and they had white capris with different tops to wear, that helped with packing.

Since we were the first AK cruise of the season, many schools were still in session, and the number of kids was lower than average. I had kids in the 6-8 and 9-11, and they were rarely combined...usually only later in the evenings. You'll get a daily schedule of activities for each age group, so you can see what they'll be up to. Be sure to go to the first night, lots of info is given, and at that time everyone is 'new' to the club.

The solarium pool had family hours, usually during the time that AO was closed. The outdoor pools were heated very warm, and we even swam outside one port day when it was in the high 70's...pretty good for us FL people!

The diningroom does have a childs menu, but it's the same every night. My dd, who was 6 at the time, is a very picky eater and she had no problems finding something different every night. Kids have the best of both worlds, they can mix and match off both menus, and the wait staff was more than accomodating. Sauces can be left off pasta, and if you don't see something, ask, they might be able to get it for you.

My kids don't get seasick...I've got one who can't do carnival rides, but has no trouble in rough seas at all. For the most part the inside passage was smooth. We got a late start the first day, so our first sea day wasn't totally in the passage, we were a little further into the Pacific than normal, and it was rough. The solarium pool looked like a wave pool, the kids had a blast bobbing up and down! This was really the only day we felt major movement, and they were fine...and so was Daddy, he has to wear the patch on every cruise though.

If you can manage a helicopter glacier tour, do it! That was our best shore excursion by far. Expensive, but its still the one the kids talk about 4 years later.

i think your child will have fun on Serenade. There is plenty to do onboard- even without AO, which is good and they probably will combine groups if there aren't too many kids onboard.

They did this on Celebrity and I suspect they will on RCL if only one or two sign up for the older group.

As to seasickness- kids do get seasick- even the ones that enjoy amusement park rides. I am one of those kids- who vividly remembers being sick at age 9 on a ferry to Norway and also on the Volendam in 1980 (I was 15). So yes, kids get sick.

My advice is to take the chewable Bonine on your trip. It comes in adult strength and children's strength. It is a miracle drug. You only need to take it if and when you feel queasy. My son, who was seasick at age 5 on Constellation, took it and was better in 10 minutes- as was I. There were others who were queasy and I handed it out like candy. All were better and didn't need to take more. So that's my advice from someone who gets seasick and who's child gets seasick.

Alaska will be mostly smooth sailing- especially on Serenade. I did Radiance (sister to Serenade) and she was so smooth I never felt any movement. However, we were in the Caribbean and that is generally smooth sailing.

I have been to Alaska 4 times and you are in for a real treat. Have a wonderful adventure.

Thanks so much for your replies - sets my mind at ease re kids clubs etc and we'll definitely go to the first night so she can feel more at ease.

Will definitely look into the sea sickness medication - if we can't get that brand here, then I'll buy it in Vancouver prior to sailing. DH just reminded me he's sometimes prone to sea sickness so I'll get for both adult (big kids!:p ) and child.

Looks like me and my DD will have some retail therapy to find capri's or similar for her - thankfully some winter fashions are now in the shops (summer now - 32C outside!)

Another question - we managed to get a JS (good price) - the ship plan seems to show that the wardrobe is a 'walk in' - know if that's right? If not where do people store suitcases?:confused:

Archived