Water proof shoes?

UF G8R

We are doing the southbound departing Whittier on June 2. Reading this board has given me lots of ideas for what to buy for layering but what about shoes? Do I need to get something that is really waterproof? I dont plan on any vigorous hiking or kayaking but I do want to do something that takes me to see the dogs.

We are doing the southbound departing Whittier on June 2. Reading this board has given me lots of ideas for what to buy for layering but what about shoes? Do I need to get something that is really waterproof? I dont plan on any vigorous hiking or kayaking but I do want to do something that takes me to see the dogs.

Have done two cruises to Alaska (Seattle-Seattle and Whittier-Vancouver) and have waterproffed our shoes both times. Will be going back in May and plan to do the same. Even if you don't go on any water-related excursions, you could encounter water (rain) while walking around in port. We water proof just to be on the safe side. Water proofing can be done easily via a spray that you can find at a shoe store and other outlets. Make sure to read the directions to ensure you get the right product for your shoes.

I bought a pair of Merrells for our June trip from ebay. So far they have worked well in the rain and snow in our area but I haven't worn them outside all day in the rain like we may experience on our Alaskan cruise. Even though they are supposed to be waterproof I plan on spraying mine too. Good Luck and remember to post what you buy as I still need to get something for the rest of our family.

I don't know where you live, but I've not ever had waterproof shoes or boots before but now that I do, they sure come in handy! I bought Ariat Telluride H2O and love them. Ariats fit my feet well and last forever. I was very glad I had them when we went to Alaska in September, as there was rain in all three ports, but it only downpoured in Ketchikan. My feet never got wet! And we weren't on any hiking or vigorous excursions.

Merrell is another good brand and very comfy as well.

I bought a pair of Bogs last fall and have worn them all winter, and intend on wearing them on the boat all summer. They are a rubber type slip on shoe with neoprene on the sides. Good tread on the bottom. I wear them all the time, my feet stay dry and warm,and I never had to "break" them in. I've walked up to 4 miles in them and my feet don't hurt. But don't think I would wear them for serious hiking. They are the best shoes I have found for our weather here, I just love them and they weren't expensive (around $30).

I bought mine when I was in Idaho last fall. I wear a womens 7 1/2 -8 and these are an 8 and they fit great. They're snug and don't slip in the heel with plenty of room for my toes. I forgot to mention that there is something in the insole too so that your feet don't smell from wearing the rubber, nice!

If your feet do get wet, remember to change your wet socks for dry as soon as possible. It may be hard to get your wet shoes to dry on a ship. Air them out as best you can.

For those of us who are up in years and especially people with health concerns dry feet are very important.

I don't have any brands to recommend as I'm never really pleased with my shoes.

Dream Fish,

I just searched online for Bogs and I see several Internet retailers. I'm kind of afraid to buy shoes that I can't try on. Do you know if Bogs are sold in stores?

I used to think exactly the same way... but then I discovered that most of the online retailers not only offer free (sometimes overnight) shipping & free return shipping, too! NOw I order several pair at a time & keep what I want, return the rest. It's nice to be able to try them on at home & match them up with my clothing etc... :) zappos.com shoebuy.com shoes.com are three I've used. I believe they all carry Bogs, too.

The REI near me carries a very nice selection of waterproof shoes that would work well for just walking around not serious hiking, although they have those too of course. I went to ours and found the style and make of shoe I wanted, tried them on for size and then went out on line to find a better deal since I think REI is expensive.

I just bought a pair of Bean's Storm Chaser shoes. I bought a half-size larger (like I always do with my sneakers). I'm currently breaking them in because I'm diabetic and always have to break in shoes I'm planning on wearing for hikes and stuff. These are waterproof, brown/black. This means I can leave my brown shoes home, my black shoes home and my sneakers home. In addition to my dress shoes and my Storm Chasers, I'm bringing just one pair of backup shoes - Lands End blue suede waterproof mocs I've had for several years. I'm cruising for 14 days plus one extra day in Vancouver. I think I'll be ifne.

I bought a pair of Merrells for our June trip from ebay. So far they have worked well in the rain and snow in our area but I haven't worn them outside all day in the rain like we may experience on our Alaskan cruise. Even though they are supposed to be waterproof I plan on spraying mine too. Good Luck and remember to post what you buy as I still need to get something for the rest of our family.

We have our Merrells for over 10+ years. They still work great, a lot of traction on the ground and never failed for waterproof. highly recommend them.

I used to think exactly the same way... but then I discovered that most of the online retailers not only offer free (sometimes overnight) shipping & free return shipping, too! NOw I order several pair at a time & keep what I want, return the rest. It's nice to be able to try them on at home & match them up with my clothing etc... :) zappos.com shoebuy.com shoes.com are three I've used. I believe they all carry Bogs, too.

Cascole, what a coincidence! I just came across zappos.com the other day. I saw they carried the Bogs slip-ons and that they offer free shipping and free return shipping, so I figured I had nothing to lose. I ordered a pair on Wednesday, and they've already been delivered to my house - only 2 days later! I can't wait to try them on when I get home from work tonight. It never occurred to me to order more than one pair in different sizes. But if these don't fit, I know I can return them for free and get a bigger/smaller pair in a matter of a couple of days.

I love these boards.

7459.jpg

Vasque Breeze - This is the shoe I bought before our trip to Alaska in August 2007. I do not do well with slip on shoes - I need that support from the laces. This was the perfect shoe for me - We had beautiful weather in Denali, but rain in each port. My feet stayed warm and dry the entire time.

I bought them at REI - they were about $125, but living the Denver area, I have been wearing them all winter. They are probably the most comfortable pair of shoes I own.

When looking for waterproof shoes - you want to make sure there's a Gore Tex tag on them.

thanks for the support. I love my merrells. The soles are thick enough to keep me out of the water and the black suede uppers look nice enough to wear with jeans that I don't feel like a total geek going to the mall etc. in them. Unfortunately my 14 year old daughter is more interested in looks than comfort so she may end up with wet feet!

7459.jpg

Vasque Breeze - This is the shoe I bought before our trip to Alaska in August 2007. I do not do well with slip on shoes - I need that support from the laces. This was the perfect shoe for me - We had beautiful weather in Denali' date=' but rain in each port. My feet stayed warm and dry the entire time.

I bought them at REI - they were about $125, but living the Denver area, I have been wearing them all winter. They are probably the most comfortable pair of shoes I own.

When looking for waterproof shoes - you want to make sure there's a Gore Tex tag on them.[/quote']

Thanks Adrienne for the info. I too need the support from laces. We will be going to Alaska in May, and I just ordered these from Backcountry.com on sale for $49.95.

Archived