Formal Nites........Interesting

PittsburghJack

An interesting note..............our pre-cruise booklet arrived today and we noted just one formal night on the first leg (7 days) of our cruise.

On previous cruises (other lines), we were asked to dress at least two nights for the week, if I remember correctly.

Does anyone know if this has become the norm for Seabourn?:eek: Jack

Yes, I realize one can always dress above the expected, but we never want to appear pretentious.

Jack

That is unusual! Did you notice the 2nd week of your cruise you'll have 2 formal evenings? First week, the formal night will be the Captain's welcome reception, then the 2nd segment, Club Party and the Captain's Farewell evening.

On our recent President's Legend 2 week cruise we had 4 formal nights. As I love to dress up I'm 100% for formal or Country Club elegant nights ~~~it's the Seabourn way!:p

Martita B.

An interesting note..............our pre-cruise booklet arrived today and we noted just one formal night on the first leg (7 days) of our cruise.

On previous cruises (other lines), we were asked to dress at least two nights for the week, if I remember correctly.

Does anyone know if this has become the norm for Seabourn?:eek: Jack

Yes, I realize one can always dress above the expected, but we never want to appear pretentious.

I have been on several with only 1 formal per week. Maybe due to the number of ports of call

I don't recall where your cruise is, but many of the Caribbean cruises are 1 formal night per week cruises.

While there are many that like dressing up, there is a definite trend to wanting them reduced or eliminated. When the new ships are in place that will be less of an issue as there will be multiple dining venues.

We have 3 formal nights on our 11 day Caribbean cruise starting 15 days from now--even bought the new black silk formal tie for my tux. Gives me a change of pace--I like the look! Pre cruise diet worked--down 10 pounds so the tux looks good!!Don

Yep....I noticed on my last two week Caribbean cruise, in November of 2007, there were only two formal nights (this was on the Pride). On my first Seabourn cruise, which was April of 2006 on the Legend for two weeks, also in the Caribbean, we had two formal nights per week. As I love formal nights, I'm disappointed there are only one per week now! I have noticed most of the ladies dress very nicely, I would say almost semi-formal, on elegant casual evenings. So at least I can dress up for those!

Jane ;)

Matt

There will be 3 formal evenings on our Pride Crossing, plus the PLAID evenings ~~~My friends from St Petersburg both will be wearing their PLAID formal wear! CARUMBA! I have a few 'lit "numbers" I'll wear.:confused: (talk about The Ship of Fools!;) )

Hug's sent to Florida:p

MB

First leg of the cruise is Lisbon to Barcelona, 8 days with 2 sea days.

Second leg is Barcelona to Monte Carlo, 7 days. Haven't received information in regard to the second.

Don..............funny thing. I also just bought a new bow tie. Will wear it with my Prince Charlie and my old Regimental tartan. Jack

Jack--I hope you get 2 formals the last week of your cruise--I know you Pittsburgh guys cleanup real well, and it would be a shame not to let the ladies enjoy your new tie!!! I think I'm going to go bow tie twice and new tie once--we are getting as bad as the ladies with all this talk! Don

Hello,

My mother and I are taking our first Seabourn Cruise on the April 6th Transatlantic on the Legend. :D Unfortunately, poor Husband has to stay home and work, but I'll miss him!

At any rate, we were just wondering what the PLAID night reference is? Will there be more information on all of this when we get our documents?

Also, does anyone know anything about the weather on this crossing this time of year -- hot, warm, cool, cold or a mixture? We're just not sure what to pack at this point.

Any other advice for a Seabourn First Timer? :confused:

Thanks Much!

Anne

The Plaid event is not a Seabourn sanctioned or hosted event. It is one of Martita's private parties. Hang out, chat and befriend Martita and you might get invited.;)

Weather is hard to predict. I would work from warm and then layer as needed...if needed...that time of year.

Hmmm, other advise: Plan on having a great time...and doing it again!

Hi Anne,

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Seabourn Message Board! I am sorry to tell you that Martita's Glad in P L A I D event will be on the Pride March 17 crossing. :o However, not to worry as the Legend Trans-Atlantic crossers are a fun bunch of sailors! I have done many Legend November westbound crossings and many of those sailors also do the eastbound crossing as well. I think you both will have a wonderful time onboard.

If you like being pampered and waited on by the attentive crew and wait staff, then a Seobourn crossing is the cruise for you and your Mom!

You can even book your next Seabourn cruise and pay a $1,000 deposit per suite while onboard and get an additional 5% off the price including other discounts (early booking, grand voyages). If you can't decide which criuise to take next, do an open booking which is good for 2 years (if you can't decide after 2 years, your deposit is refunded).

When you arrive in Lisbon, you and your Mom will be Legendary crossers! Bon Voyage! :)

ame1993

The Pride (March) Spring crossing's for many years have had themes~~one year the theme was "Texas Fling Ding", another year,

"A Royal Affair," in 2004, "Hall of Fame" ~~2006, "Tickled Pink",

etc, etc.......this March, "GLAD in PLAID" A number of us have crossed together for several years and we enjoy hosting parties, contests, special events, socials and "affairs!":confused:

These ocean voyages are special and truly magical!

You will have a marvelous time aboard the Legend in April, as there are wonderful, seasoned Seabourn Sailor's that have also been Crossing together for many years.

The weather/ocean varies ~~the 1st few years we had great weather.The past couple of years it's been chilly and rough seas ~~~let's hope King Neptune is kind to us in 2008.

Enjoy your lazy, hazy, dazy days at sea! They are the BEST!:D

Martita B.

THANKS everyone for the WARM WELCOME and tips/info. We are so looking forward to this cruise and will, I'm sure, enjoy every last minute. We've not even left yet and I'm already trying to convince my Husband to go on a Seabourn Cruise next year.

Thanks Again!

Anne

Just received pre-cruise docs for Pride 14-day cruises in Western Med and Western Europe.

Grand Mediterranean II (April 14th) has 4 formal nights and the Rivers of Western Europe I (April 28) has three formal nights.

I better buy hubby more colored bow ties to wear with the tux!

Information for the second leg of our cruise was forthcoming today. Only ONE black tie optional night also.

That makes a total of only TWO for a fifteen day excursion.

We anticipated more than two formal evenings when first booking due to the itinerary (Lisbon-Monte Carlo) but it sure looks like Seabourn is relaxing dress codes. Jack

With only two formal nights out of 15, why bother with the (un) necessary packing? Make reservations at Restaurant 2 those nights. If Seabourn keeps any of the triplets after the new ships enter service I hope they make at least some of the cruises on those ships all casual. I recently returned from an all casual cruise and it certainly was a comfortable and non-stressful way to travel (and no one was sloppy or poorly attired at anytime).

Archived