Amadeus Amalegro - Best Cabins

loisswanson

We tentatively are holding #202 as we thought rather than be on the top deck we might get some noise in our cabins from deck chairs. Did we make a good choice or is there a better cabin? We have a category B cabin.

I need to put in deposit by tomorrow. Please reply quickly.

Also, our cruise starts and ends in Amsterdam. They offer post-cruise stays, but I'm wondering if we should try to arrive a day early staying in Amsterdam to adjust to time. What hotels can you suggest that are of a nice quality.

Many thanks. This will be my first riverboat cruise and also my first time to Europe.

Regards,

Lois

We tentatively are holding #202 as we thought rather than be on the top deck we might get some noise in our cabins from deck chairs. Did we make a good choice or is there a better cabin? We have a category B cabin.

I need to put in deposit by tomorrow. Please reply quickly.

Also, our cruise starts and ends in Amsterdam. They offer post-cruise stays, but I'm wondering if we should try to arrive a day early staying in Amsterdam to adjust to time. What hotels can you suggest that are of a nice quality.

Many thanks. This will be my first riverboat cruise and also my first time to Europe.

Regards,

Lois

Lois - I think 202 is a great cabin. Noise from the sun deck is highly dependent on the time of year you take your cruise (besides deck chairs there is a running track above the Violin deck)

We stayed in Amsterdam on a Globus tour at the Mercour, but friends who go a lot say they priceline for the best hotel deals. Arriving a day early is a good idea but then you must arrange your own transport from the airport (usually your hotel concierge will arrange this in advance if you contact them).

The best way to travel Europe is for your (floating) hotel to follow you as your tour nearby sites. You will love this trip.

WIT

We used the name your own price feature on Priceline for our post cruise stay in Amsterdam. We bid 4* and won the Moevenpick for $119 USD plus taxes. We are only staying one Saturday night and we found most moderate hotels and B & B's require two night stays on weekends. If you want a 5* hotel the winning bids range $150 - $160.

We were thinking of booking a cabin on the "violin deck". Wondering if a lot of people on that cruise would use the running track. Would appreciate hearing from others who have stayed on the violin deck....was noise from chairs or track a problem?

I have traveled With Amadeus and found that if it is in the late Fall that the best cabins are on the lower deck . D cabin. You go to bed at night in the dark and get up in the morning in the dark. You have two large windows that are ABOVE the water line. You arrive in port early in the morning and will be out on tour around 8:30 or 9.

In the Spring and Summer I would opt for a B or C category. I prefer a cabin from May on ,on the starboard or right side, as It gets very hot , with the sun shining in the window while you are on tour. We left notes and even pinned the curtain closed, but it was always open when we returned for lunch.and our cabin was quite warm. That is only if you are going up river like from Nurenberg to Trier. We didn't hear any noise from above on either deck.

When we took our trip last May, we were not allowed up on deck until we reached the Rhine. The bridges are low and the upper deck was uaually blocked off. This seems to be the norm.

Did you visit any of the stops at night? I think the itinerary we are looking at has us arriving at Koblenz in the evening and leaving again early in the morning. Wondering even with a group walk after dinner how much we'll get to see.

You will be arriving in Koblenz in the afternoon, have a tour and then take an otpional walking tour in the evening after dinner. If you are going May thru September, it stays light until 9pm. The tour in the evening has some surprises. It is worth going on. Nice walk.

I feel much better about our cabin choice now that I've read the replies.

Typically, what would it cost from a hotel such as the Moevenpick to get to where the riverboat boards?

This is our first time overseas.

Lois

Have a look at the hotel website http://www.moevenpick-hotels.com/hotels/Amsterdam/welcome.htm The photo shows a large cruiseship docked in front of the hotel. I think the riverboats are also docked fairly close to this terminal. Maybe Steamboats has this info??

Archived