Misty Fjord- Floatplane or boat tour

MonicaL

Can anyone give a comparison. It seems that the Misty Fjord is something not to miss on an Alaskan cruise, but the floatplane is much more pricey as compared to a boat tour. However, I'm wondering if the floatplane is worth the extra almost $200 pp?

Misty Fjords flightseeing is $229/pp with Island Wings (http://islandwings.com/sfs.html). Southeast Aviation has an early booking price of $197 (http://www.southeastaviation.com/flight.html). How much is the boat trip you're considering? Most people report an amazing time on this excursion. We were unfortunate enough to fly on a very overcast day, and we had to turn back before we got very far into Misty Fjords.

Is there a difference between Island Wings or Southeast Aviation for the flightseeing over Misty Fjords? Is one better than the other? Thanks! Kate

I have flown with both (plus a couple other flightseeing vendors) and highly recommend each- Equally.

As for the difference via boat or air, the air wins for me. The expansive view is what makes it, seeing Alpine lakes and getting more distance is what makes this an excellent flightseeing.

I don't think the boat tours are that much cheaper??

Based on your recommendations I checked the independent flightseeing tours. Is it worth the extra $$ to invest in the shore excursion that includes the 35 minute landing in the Misty Fjords, vs. the 10 minute water landing? Hope to hear from those of you that have already taken this flightseeing Misty Fjords excursion. In addition, I've been hunting for some good photos taken during the flightseeing.

I'm not sure how long we were on the water - but I'm sure it was more than 10 minutes. Just be aware that with some companies you just get out on the pontoons of the plane. We loved actually being able to walk on shore in those beautiful surroundings!

Based on your recommendations I checked the independent flightseeing tours. Is it worth the extra $$ to invest in the shore excursion that includes the 35 minute landing in the Misty Fjords, vs. the 10 minute water landing? Hope to hear from those of you that have already taken this flightseeing Misty Fjords excursion. In addition, I've been hunting for some good photos taken during the flightseeing.

Be specific in who you are referring to. The above two, are about equal in their landing time. Not sure who are only 10 minutes?

With a ship contracted and booked flight, NONE let you on land, you are only allowed out to stand on the pontoons, then back in the plane. Be aware- the back, being the first out, go the farthest down the pontoon. An NO "hand rails" :)

Thanks so much for the info-We are leaning toward Southeast Aviation (due to the value of the early booking discount). They're tour is shorter than Island Wings and they aren't specific about the landing time, so I assumed it was pretty short (Island Wings advertises 35 minutes shoretime).

Archived