Fly into FLL or Miami?

yusi1906

Hey guys,

We are looking to book Carnival Freedom sailing 04/19, we havent booked yet until vacation time is approved. I went on Continental's website and there are no early flights left for that date, except for one that lands at 2:47 in Miami so it will cut it very short for embarkation.....

I'm left with Fort Lauderdale, my question is how far is the cruise port from Fort Lauderdale and will it be too much of a hassle?

My other option will be booking flights with cruise line but you dont get to find out your flights until 30 days out...what if I get connections? Or a different airport? We are only 10 mins from Newark......

What do you recommend? Sorry for long post;)

We are also flying into FLL, we're getting in 2 days before the cruise. And like the previous poster we'll be using Go Airport shuttle, they have great rates! If you're going to save money, or if it's your only option right now, you certainly won't be the only cruiser who is flying into FLL instead of MIA.

Good luck!

Our last 4 cruises out of Port of miami, we flew to FLL, and took the Go Shuttle shared ride for $18.00 per person, sometimes they make you wait till they can get a total of four passengers going into Miami before leaving the airport, last time it took 40 minutes, cause it was midnight. Usually the wait is about 10-15 minutes. You can take a cab through them for $65.00 one way, leaving immediately. Coming back after the cruise is a different story, if there are two of you, Carnival charges $30.00 per person for a bus shuttle, where Norwegian charges $20.00 (price as of 01/08). We grabbed a cab for meter rate of $72.00 and gave him a $5 tip just so we didn't have to wait an hour to load the bus, and drop off people at the different terminals at FLL. It was worth our trouble, from door to door about 35 minutes. We were at FLL before 8:30 AM.

For some reason BUF to MIA is usually about $100.00 more than BUF to FLL per person, check if the prices flexuate is much from your airport. Miami is a little more convienent because you are closer to the port, either way you need additional tranportation, but those fees are less in Miami because the distance is 7 miles instead of 25. Many hotels in Miami offer free shuttles to/from airport/seaport, and sometimes that alone could offset the additional price, if you fly in a day early like we always do. We have unpredictable weather in the winter in Buffalo, and don't want to miss our cruise flying out the day of it.

Yusi - if you decide to book, come join our Freedom Floater's roll call - we'd love you to join us! Myself - I got a great rate on AA JFK to Miami flying the day before - that rate has now tripled! (spring break in NY/NJ area) Good luck

Just pop on over to the roll call board - it is quite active. (Carnival Freedom Floaters 4/19/08) Since it is a cruise critic cruise, you still may be able to get a great price. Check on the roll call - there is info there on who to call. (we are not allowed to port TA's here) There will be a cocktail party, t-shirts, cabin crawl, etc. Seems like a really nice group of people - can't wait to get back on the Freedom!

We've flown into both. Carnival offers a shuttle from both airports, to either port. From FLL to Miami, I believe it was like a 45- 1 hr drive, on a Carnival Shuttle bus. I think it was $25/person each way, but from Miami Airport to Miami port I think it was still $16/person. Balance out these costs with the costs of airfare. Good Luck

Yusi -

Scroll thru the April 19th roll call - there are links in there (especially from Tami - one of the organizers of the cc cruise) which will lead to to active links. (especially the first few pages) I wish I knew how to put it up on this board for you, but I am computer challenged. I am on the other link everyday - people post on 2-3 threads under that other link. Try that, and again, come join us - it should be fun!!

Archived