Can someone explain Seatcounter.com??

Minnesota_Nice

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how seatcounter.com works I went to the sight but I am a little confused. I was told that I could go on there to check if award seats become available. I currently am in coach but if first opens up I can snag them. I am flying on NW 319 on 10/29/08.

If anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Thanks

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how seatcounter.com works I went to the sight but I am a little confused. I was told that I could go on there to check if award seats become available. I currently am in coach but if first opens up I can snag them. I am flying on NW 319 on 10/29/08.

If anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Seatcounter DOES NOT show all award seats on all airlines. It is good for Star Alliance (US Air, United, etc) It doesn't show any AA award classes. I don't know about Delta/NW/Sky Team.

You have to KNOW what award class your ticket is booked in. You will have to know what class Delta books in (I don't have a clue).

IF you want REAL TIME info on award seat availability, please enroll in Expertflyer.com. IT will cost you $5.00 per month for the basic package, but you can purchase by the month. This is what most of us use to find award seats.

http://www.expertflyer.com/

While I don't have much knowledge about the reliability of the information presented on seatcounter.com, the first question is to be able to decipher what the "Booking Classes" mean. To this extent, this site provides a useful key to what all the booking classes mean for AA (and I don't know how uniform they might be for other airlines). But, as you can see some codes purport to be for AA awards (e.g., J, T, U, and Z).

While I don't have much knowledge about the reliability of the information presented on seatcounter.com, the first question is to be able to decipher what the "Booking Classes" mean. To this extent, this site provides a useful key to what all the booking classes mean for AA (and I don't know how uniform they might be for other airlines). But, as you can see some codes purport to be for AA awards (e.g., J, T, U, and Z).

I think "fewmiles" made up the chart in 2002. Some outdated info. There are no "plan ahead" awards-they are now called "saver" and "anytime". J is full fare business class-pax MAY get kicked into first on a 3 class plane. Valuable info if you just need a quickie look. Here is the updated chart from the AA WIKI.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Inventory_Classes_and_Mileage_Eligibility_%28AA%29

I am always looking for C and X upgrades. VERY rarely do any of the upgrade categories for AA show up on Seatcounter.com (I have never seen any, but some have reported finding Z tickets). I use Expertflyer to find availability. I have the premium package for $99.00 per year. It is truly worth its weight in gold looking for those elusive upgrade or award seats.

But none of this helps the OP. He has Delta award tickets with NW flights. I don't know if Seatcounter works with SkyTeam. And I have no idea what DL booking classes are for FC award tickets. Sorry

This site (http://www.cwsi.net/delta.htm) shows booking codes used by Delta and it was last updated in Oct. 2007, however, the precise booking codes used for different award tickets is not completely obvious.

The OP will need the PRECISE booking codes for partner flights and Delta awards. Otherwise, there is no way to use Seatcounter accurately (f it works with SkyTeam).

I know very little about SkyTeam. Hopefully someone will post whether Seatcounter works with DL/SkyTeam. OP is booked in business class, award ticket, international flight on AF. Because there is no business on MSP/LAX flights, OP was placed in first on the domestic legs. So are we looking for FC or business class tickets??? I have NO idea.

Maybe this is too simplistic but....if the OP has their original itinerary (before the change that resulted in the downgrade MSP-LAX), it should show the DL booking class for the domestic F award seat.

However, even that won't really help. Seatcounter and EF show no "DL" non-stops from MSP to LAX (since they are actually NW flights). There is no DL codeshare on any of the NW flights MSP-LAX. You only get the NW inventory, not what DL has available to them for distribution, which doesn't show. So, even if you find Northwest A or R availability (one of which would be the source for the DL allocation), it doesn't indicate what DL has available to them. And you will only get those upgrades seats from DL.

Once again, you will have to get on the phone to DL regularly if you really want those seats. Other options include seeing if DL could route you to LAX via their own flights through Salt Lake City. The other option is to just keep the coach seats for the MSP-LAX leg and be glad that you even got award seats in business at the 90,000 mile level rather than for 250,000 each!! There are lots of folk who would gladly put up with MSP-LAX in coach rather than pay the quarter-million miles.

Maybe this is too simplistic but....if the OP has their original itinerary (before the change that resulted in the downgrade MSP-LAX), it should show the DL booking class for the domestic F award seat.

However, even that won't really help. Seatcounter and EF show no "DL" non-stops from MSP to LAX (since they are actually NW flights). There is no DL codeshare on any of the NW flights MSP-LAX. You only get the NW inventory, not what DL has available to them for distribution, which doesn't show. So, even if you find Northwest A or R availability (one of which would be the source for the DL allocation), it doesn't indicate what DL has available to them. And you will only get those upgrades seats from DL.

Once again, you will have to get on the phone to DL regularly if you really want those seats. Other options include seeing if DL could route you to LAX via their own flights through Salt Lake City. The other option is to just keep the coach seats for the MSP-LAX leg and be glad that you even got award seats in business at the 90,000 mile level rather than for 250,000 each!! There are lots of folk who would gladly put up with MSP-LAX in coach rather than pay the quarter-million miles.

Your right I should just be happy that I have First/Business on the more important long flights I guess I just was hoping to get those seats the whole way. I am going to continue trying I have called DL several times with no luck yet. I did try for the connection thru SLC but it is only first class part of the way so that doesn't really help me. I did get onto Expertflyer and there isn't anything right now for my specific flight but I will keep checking that also. Is EF pretty accurate for award seats?

My husband and I are going on this trip for our 15th wedding anniversary and I guess I just want everything to be as perfect as possible but I have come to the realization that if I do have to sit in coach for that leg it won't be the end of the world. I guess it just sucks because my previous itinerary was first all the way, but I am the one who made the change so I guess I have to deal with it.

I do appreciate all your advice and help I enjoy reading these boards and as it gets closer I am sure I will have more questions on using the lounges since I have never done that before.

Archived