Beach vs staying on board ship

Lounur

We were in Cozumel a few years ago and didn't think it was anything to write home about. Our ship stops there in March. Is it worth it to go to a beach or should we just remain onboard the ship and enjoy the sun and pool? If the beaches are worth it, which one do you recommend? What's the chances of getting chairs and umbrellas...would we have to rush off the boat to be the "among the first" to get one? Is a reservation necessary at the beach or can you just play it by ear? Any idea as to current cost? Thanks for your input.

Yep, just stay on the ship. Cozumel sucks.

Seriously, what kind of beach experience are you looking for. Active or sedate?

Without knowing anything about you or your interests, I'd say you're best bet would be to check out http://www.playauvas.com/ Take a taxi there on your own. They don't have water toys like Paradise Beach or Playa Mia (ick) so they aren't likely to have many kids around there.

wow stay on the ship??? Really?? Now if it was Ocho Rios, Jamaica I would stay on the ship but not Cozumel and I have been there 3 times and will be again in April. 2 years ago it was alot different, the hurricanes had wiped almost everything out. When I was there this January it was way different. So much stuff built back up now. Plus we have always just got off and taken a taxi to Paradise beach for some relaxing in the sun and good food and drinks. Read thru the Paradise Beach thread.

wow stay on the ship??? Really?? Now if it was Ocho Rios, Jamaica I would stay on the ship but not Cozumel and I have been there 3 times and will be again in April. 2 years ago it was alot different, the hurricanes had wiped almost everything out. When I was there this January it was way different. So much stuff built back up now. Plus we have always just got off and taken a taxi to Paradise beach for some relaxing in the sun and good food and drinks. Read thru the Paradise Beach thread.

We did the dune buggies in July, repeating it next week since we had such a great time. We saw alot of the island and had a great adventure doing it. Check out Cozumel Insider to see their activities. You might find something that interests you.

Cozumel is a beautiful and interesting port of call with lots of history, gorgeous scenery and friendly people. Only in the most extreme case of illness would I stay on the ship and not explore what it has to offer.

Do a little research and find the beach that best suits your needs, or as travgurl suggested, find an activity that you enjoy and try to incorporate it in an excursion.

We were in Cozumel a few years ago and didn't think it was anything to write home about. Our ship stops there in March. Is it worth it to go to a beach or should we just remain onboard the ship and enjoy the sun and pool? If the beaches are worth it, which one do you recommend? What's the chances of getting chairs and umbrellas...would we have to rush off the boat to be the "among the first" to get one? Is a reservation necessary at the beach or can you just play it by ear? Any idea as to current cost? Thanks for your input.

I never understand why someone wants to stay on the ship. :confused: We are going in March also. We are going to Nachi Cocom. They limit the number of people to 100 a day so chairs and umbrellas should not be a problem. You would also not have to rush off of the ship to get in line. It is all inclusive for $49/person.

Cozumel is one of my all time favorite ports. Playa Palancar has snorkeling, diving, a restaurant, great margaritas, isn't overcrowded, and is a straight shot by taxi down the road from the pier. You won't find beach toys and an all-inclusive atmosphere, though, if that's what you're looking for.

San Miguel has some lovely churches, if you're interested in that kind of thing. My ritual is to buy a stone bull each time I'm in San Miguel.

You can always rent a car from Isis and tour the wild side of the island; stop at Coconuts and watch the iguanas (my GOSH they're big!).

Just my .02

:)

We have been to Cozumel 7 times and have done something different each trip. If they open the door and drop a gangway, you can bet that this hillbilly will be getting off of the ship.

and off to find some shrimp fajitas. MMmmmm

We just got back from Ocho Rios on the Imagination earlier this month and I WAS SHOCKED.

We have not been there in years and almost did not get off the ship this time. I am so glad we did. We walked to Island Village and spent a nice afternoon just looking and enjoying a cool drink.

Then we walked back.

Now, when we first got off the ship ...were we asked if we needed a taxi? Yes, BUT we were asked POLITELY. ( I know, I almost fainted from the shock). Were we asked many times by different taxi drivers? Yes, but it was still politely. A simple no thanks and kept walking did it. Were we asked a couple of times about hair braiding? Yes, but it was still politely!!!

Once we got inside Island Village (out door mall of sorts with a Margaritaville)...we were not bothered one time. Not once!!!

After a relaxing afternoon of shopping and drinking, we walked back to the ship. Not one person asked us anything on the way back...once we got past the entrance to Island Village and again it was very politely!!!

Now we did not walk any further than Island Village, so I can't speak about the rest of Ocho Rios...but the port area has their act together!!!

Any recommendation truly depends on what you like to do...

We always go to Paradise Beach. The boys love the water and land toys that are $10 for all day. These wristbands are optional, so if Mom and Dad just want to chill...they can. No entrance fee. Lounge chairs, table and umbrellas, clean restrooms and even Internet at the bar are all free. Tom and his group from a great resort. All they ask is that you eat/drink while you are there.

If you want a more adult quiet area and can eat/drink the $49.00 a person...Nachi is good. Snorkeling cost extra.

The taxi fare from the ports to any of the beach resorts on the West side will be $12 -15 one way for up to 4 people.

You can swim with Dolphins at Chankanaab Park. (altough if there are a lot of ships in port that day...I would book that through the ship to make sure you get a spot)

CarlosNCharlies at the end of Punta Langosta Pier with Margaritaville 3 blocks south...what more could anyone ask for??? :D

Beach when you can!!! I live on the "north coast" Lake Erie. Currently our beaches resemble Siberia. So given the opportunity I would get off the ship as soon as possible!

I have been to Nachi Cocom: nice - all inclusive, fresh water hot tub and pool are both swim-up to the bar, not many people.

I have been to Paradise Beach - inexpensive, lots of fun stuff to do, best Chimichangas.

I have been to Playa Mia - okay, all inclusive, one negative was the lounger chairs are/were molded hard plastic that sit down on the ground. I am neither skinny nor young and it was not a pretty site seeing me roll out of that thing to try to stand up!

But best of all the sunsets are lovely from the beach. We missed our lobster Christmas Dinner because we hated to leave the beach at Cozumel.

Archived