Passports?

lola4795

When do the new passport requirements go into effect? I have a passport, but dh and the kids do not. We booked our trip too late for them to be able to get the passports in time. But our TA said it would be fine.

Our TA said that birth certificates for travel to the Caribbean will work until June.

I was just looking at our Advance Registration stuff and it states that only a passport will be accepted for passage on the ship.

Which is correct? We sail on March 2, so there is no possible way for them to get passports before then.

When do the new passport requirements go into effect? I have a passport, but dh and the kids do not. We booked our trip too late for them to be able to get the passports in time. But our TA said it would be fine.

Our TA said that birth certificates for travel to the Caribbean will work until June.

I was just looking at our Advance Registration stuff and it states that only a passport will be accepted for passage on the ship.

Which is correct? We sail on March 2, so there is no possible way for them to get passports before then.

You are fine until this summer, although a firm date has not been published.

Actually, you might be able to get them in time. My son just got his, and it was two weeks to the day from the post office to our mailbox, without expedited service. You can also get expedited, and if you live close enough an appointment with a passport center.

On the other hand you apparently don't have to have it for this trip. From what I have read, the only time you might have an issue is if you had a problem and needed to fly home.

You can always call NCL and find out for sure....also you can get express passport....if you are sailing two weeks or less.....call NCL to ease your mind....

You can always call NCL and find out for sure....also you can get express passport....if you are sailing two weeks or less.....call NCL to ease your mind....

At this time the law has changed. Passports are not required for Caribbean cruises and it is not anticipated that they will ever be required, though ever and never are very long times.

Here is the link to the proposed rule. http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/0...ule_061907.pdf

The proposal governing cruise ship passengers is on page 36.

Here is the link to the Federal Register where the proposal was published on July 27th seeking comments: http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspubli...ontentType=pdf

The rule eliminates the need for cruise passengers who are US citizens to have passports when cruising under certain circumstances including Caribbean cruises.

The problems occur and the need for a passport arise if you miss the ship and have to fly out of the country or if you have to fly back in for an emergency. No, you won't be stranded out of the country but it takes extra effort to get home without one.

I would definitely talk personally to NCL and I would even be tempted to ask for a fax that stated if you don't need it.

When I check "my cruise reservation", it states for June that I don't have to have one.

That being said, 2 of us got them last year and dh is being processed. I didn't like the vague comment on the govt. site saying they will probably be needed in the summer.

Even so, we've never had problems traveling with just birth certificates and DL.

Archived