Need some advice from the experts...

JHaze

Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend and I will be traveling to Roatan in the near future on the Norwegian Sea and are looking for some advice from the many experts on this message board about where to go.

We e-mailed Victor Borden already, but he is already booked for the day, so we are going to have to find someone else.

We are in our mid 20's and swimming with dolphins in Cozumel and cave tubing in Belize, so in Roatan we are looking for the best and most beautiful beach to just lay out, go for a swim and get a nice lunch, hopefully overlooking the ocean.

So far, we both agree that Trunk Bay, St. John's is the most beautiful beach we have been to and we have heard that some of the beaches in Roatan are right up there, so we are hoping for some great advice/suggestions from this post.

Have a Great Day,

JHaze

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely go to West Bay Beach. The Mayan Princess also has a little beach bar, and the pool there is gorgeous. Walk down the end of the beach for lunch at Bite on the Beach. The food there is fantastic! Its all built of wood and it looks like there is a pirate ship sticking out over the water.

If you snorkel, you can reach great snorkeling right off the beach. Down the far end of the beach is where the reef comes real close to the shore.

You can also catch the water taxi from West Bay over to West End for $1.50 if you want to walk around the shops or bars there before heading back to the ship.

Roatan is a beautiful place.. just got back from 12 fantastic days there and would go back in a heartbeat!

Andrea in Atlanta

Andrea in Atlanta

• 1 month later...

I keep seeing the Mayan Princess as a recommended snorkeling location. Looking at a map, it appears that it is near Tabayana Beach. I have a couple of questions: How far away from Tabayana is the Mayan Princess? Can you go to the Mayan Princess and snorkel over the reef by Tabayana (I know that there are guards on the beach at Tabayana, but can you swim in the water to the Tabayana reef)? Can you use the Mayan Princess facilities; is there a charge? Is the Canopy tour near? Thanks for any information!

I am not sure where the Myan Princess is, but we were very close to Tayabana beach 2 weeks ago. We snorkeled out to some reefs that were ok and noticed quite a crowd just past the ropes marking off Tayabana. We swam over there and WOW - the reefs just past their ropes were incredible!! We never crossed the ropes (because there was no reason to) but thoroughly enjoyed the area.

While on Roatan we hired Victor for the day. He took us to the Mayan Princess (or should I say through since the beaches are all public). We could use the restroom and outside shower there but Victor thought that they would charge a use fee for the pool and chairs. Once out on the beach he showed us where Tabayana was - it wasn't a far walk. We opted to plant ourselves closer to there as we wanted to snorkel. There wasn't much to see in the roped off area but on the other side closer to the rock outcropping was great snorkeling. Getting around all the coral was a little tricky but very worth it. It wasn't crowded over there either. The canopy tour starts at the top of the hill on the road to the beach - not sure where it ends at but I've read posts that said the cab drivers wait at the bottom. If we are ever blessed to be able to return, its what we would like to do.

Two trips to Roatan so far with another one in Novemeber. The first time we did Tabayana Beach. Everything was wonderful, the water, the snorkeling and the lunch (well it was ok) Last time we just waited til we got off the ship and did our own thing. We hired a tour guide who took us all through town, drove us to some shopping area and dropped us at 1/2 Moon bay where there was a little restaurant and bar plus snorkeling. The snorkeling was not nearly as good as before, but we still had a great, relaxing day. This time we will do Salt and Peppers.

NMNita

Archived