Transatlantic Cruise Questions

RachieLnnn

Hi all,

DH and I are considering booking a TA cruise for November (Barcelona to New York).

For those of you who have done a TA before, what is the weather like? Is the sea very rough this time of year?

Additionally, is a balcony "worth it" for these crossings if it is chilly and windy? We have had one balcony and loved it, but that was in Hawaii where we could sit out and enjoy the views. On the one day it happened to be chilly, rainy, and windy in Hawaii, we didn't even have the desire to go out there.

I guess I would hate to book a balcony if we hardly ever used it... the price difference is $500 per person and I feel the savings could be much better spent elsewhere.

I was wondering if someone could give me an opinion... is a balcony a must for a TA, especially with all the sea days (there are 5 in a row).

Thanks in advance for your comments and perspectives!

I've done 4 trans-Atlantic crossings, with one being in November, and to be honest, I had a balcony and never used it. It was far too cold for me to sit out there. You're moving at a pretty fast clip, so it's also quite windy.

we crossed the north Atlantic in mid/late Sept this past fall and we enjoyed our balcony very much-we loved looking out at the open sea and seeing nothing-no land whatsoever!

For the most part though our cruise was not terribly cold-a little cool but not cold.

But you know- we got such a great price-a balcony was only $200 more then an inside when we booked so we went for it. If there had been that much differance in price-we probally would have just booked an inside or possibly an oceanview.

I've been on 7 transatlantics, 3 of them in November from Lisbon or Barcelona to Miami. I wouldn't waste the money on a balcony. Chances are very strong that the weather won't be conducive to the balcony's use.

The ocean can get a little rough. Has on all 7 trips. But usually only for a couple of days. I actually like it better when I can feel the ocean. Never anything more than a non-drowsy dramamine couldn't handle.

Thanks for the replies! I think we might skip the balcony this time and put the $1000 we would save towards better use! :)

I also wanted to thank you for the info about the rough seas! I've never had to take sea-sickness meds before, put it would be good to be prepared.

Now I just have to convince DH to book! :D

North Atlantic crossings (as yours will be - where you disembark in NY) tend to experience rougher seas than the South Atlantic crossings (where you disembark in Miami) do. Nothing to be alarmed about, however; these vessels have wonderful stabilizers, and they really do the trick.;)

And no, for a thousand bucks, I don't feel the balcony would be worth having for a TA.

Try for a good deal of time at outdoor public viewing venues, though -- you never know when you will spot whales or porpoises (they love the ship's wake!).:)

Hi all,

DH and I are considering booking a TA cruise for November (Barcelona to New York).

For those of you who have done a TA before, what is the weather like? Is the sea very rough this time of year?

Additionally, is a balcony "worth it" for these crossings if it is chilly and windy? We have had one balcony and loved it, but that was in Hawaii where we could sit out and enjoy the views. On the one day it happened to be chilly, rainy, and windy in Hawaii, we didn't even have the desire to go out there.

I guess I would hate to book a balcony if we hardly ever used it... the price difference is $500 per person and I feel the savings could be much better spent elsewhere.

I was wondering if someone could give me an opinion... is a balcony a must for a TA, especially with all the sea days (there are 5 in a row).

Thanks in advance for your comments and perspectives!

Which line are you thinking of booking? We will be on the NCL Gem Barcelona to New York in November. Never done a TA before. We are really looking forward to it.

A voyage where disembarkation is in Miami is not a South Atlantic crossing. It is a more southerly North Atlantic crossing.

aren't you splitting hairs to be "exact"?

what about when the ship goes to ports in Africa before crossing the Atlantic? I know one of the Celebrity ships does that almost every year. I think that would be considered southerly.

Sure not as southerly as a ship repositioning to Brazil/south America but several reposition from the med to the caribbean and do a more southerly route.

Which line are you thinking of booking? We will be on the NCL Gem Barcelona to New York in November. Never done a TA before. We are really looking forward to it.

I think it's the same cruise! We're thinking of the NCL Gem cruise which leaves Barcelona on November 16th.

We have cruised Freestyle one time before (for our honeymoon last November 2007) and loved it! We were on the Pride of Hawaii. The ship was gorgeous and I loved Hawaii - although I wish we had more time to enjoy everything on the ship! Cruises are never long enough! :)

We have never been on a TA but I think DH and I would both enjoy the days at sea.

Archived