Costa Cruisers...What food do you crave?

abitaturbodog

I can't wait to get back on a Costa cruise to enjoy the fresh gnocchi with basil, breads dipped in olive oil and chocolate ganache dessert "Costa" from the dining room. Picture below....

What foods are the rest of you craving?

LOL...I crave anything I didn't have to cook! Having never been on Costa, I really can't say. The chocolate ganache looks awesome!

To be able to order whatever you want off the menu is a treat for us when cruising. We very seldom go out because of the expense. Dinner for five at a mid-range sit-down chain restaurant is over $100 for us with 3 kids (two are teenagers)...even if we order water to drink, no dessert, no appetizers, etc.

I will miss the chocolate melting cake that Carnival has...I love that dessert! I also love steak and seafood and great salads and soups. The best thing about cruising is you get to try many dishes you wouldn't normally order at a land-based restaurant (at least for us).

C

LOL...I crave anything I didn't have to cook! Having never been on Costa, I really can't say. The chocolate ganache looks awesome!

To be able to order whatever you want off the menu is a treat for us when cruising. We very seldom go out because of the expense. Dinner for five at a mid-range sit-down chain restaurant is over $100 for us with 3 kids (two are teenagers)...even if we order water to drink, no dessert, no appetizers, etc.

I will miss the chocolate melting cake that Carnival has...I love that dessert! I also love steak and seafood and great salads and soups. The best thing about cruising is you get to try many dishes you wouldn't normally order at a land-based restaurant (at least for us).

C

I hear you - we also have 3 teens (it's the third one that makes all the difference eh?-need 2 cabins instead of one etc- but we wouldnt trade them, would we:) )

Nothing beats the chocolate melting cake on carnival, but I like the grand marnier mousse, or was it a creme brulee dessert on the last cruise- I'll have to get out the menus to refresh my memory LOL)

Oil and Vinegar

Gnochi ala Gorgonzola

Escargot

Tomato and Mozzarella Salad!

Since someone brought it up...

on Carnival...Chocolate melting cake and Cal zones!

I forgot about the tomato and mozzaerella salad! I am the only one who likes veggies and "real" cheese here. So, the other best thing about cruise food for me is I can eat whatever I like without worrying about everyone else's likes and dislikes! They can order whatever they choose, and so can I!

Carnival also has the best pizza...I've heard good things about Costa's pizza (if you ignore the canned corn and hot dog toppings someone mentioned...yikes).

C

I also have never cruise Costa, so difficult to say what will be my favorite or what I'm craving. I'm just looking forward to a different cuisine. I am looking forward to the King Crab Legs, since I prefer them to lobster. Hopefully, they won't be overcooked.

I guess Carnival has a hit, because I too LOVE the Chocolate Melting Cake!!! For those of you are really craving the cake, I found this on CC last year. Enjoy!

This takes the "cake" for most requested recipe so far, even though gbolton isn't sure if "learning how to make this would be in the best interest of my health." Lynn Zaik begs, "Carnival's Melting Chocolate Cake please! We spent 12 nights aboard Carnival Spirit to Hawaii in April and ate this every night. I have been having withdrawals ever since. Please help!"

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................................

meltingcake.jpg

Ingredients

1 lb dark chocolate

1 lb butter

10 eggs

1/2 cup plus 4 tbsp sugar

1/2 cup less 4 tbsp flour

pixel.gifMelting Chocolate Cake

We scaled Carnival's recipe down but couldn't help but share it in its original form. Serving 90, it called for 8 pounds of dark chocolate, 8 pounds of butter, 80 eggs, 5 pounds of sugar and 5 pounds of flour! This kitchen-friendly version will make 10 to 12 individual cakes. Make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and chocolate is still warm when combining.

1. Melt the chocolate and butter together.

2. In a seperate bowl, mix the eggs and sugar; whisk for a few minutes, then add the flour.

3. Add the egg mixture to the melted chocolate and mix.

4. Pour the mix into greased individual serving dishes. Bake in the oven at 200 degrees celsius (between 375 and 400 fahrenheit) for 14 minutes.

5. Enjoy warm! Cruise Critic member tinabrn says it's "awesome with ice cream."

I haven't made this yet since I would eat it all and can't afford the calories, fat or extra pounds!

Debbie

I also have never cruise Costa, so difficult to say what will be my favorite or what I'm craving. I'm just looking forward to a different cuisine. I am looking forward to the King Crab Legs, since I prefer them to lobster. Hopefully, they won't be overcooked.

I guess Carnival has a hit, because I too LOVE the Chocolate Melting Cake!!! For those of you are really craving the cake, I found this on CC last year. Enjoy!

This takes the "cake" for most requested recipe so far, even though gbolton isn't sure if "learning how to make this would be in the best interest of my health." Lynn Zaik begs, "Carnival's Melting Chocolate Cake please! We spent 12 nights aboard Carnival Spirit to Hawaii in April and ate this every night. I have been having withdrawals ever since. Please help!"

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................................

meltingcake.jpg

Ingredients

1 lb dark chocolate

1 lb butter

10 eggs

1/2 cup plus 4 tbsp sugar

1/2 cup less 4 tbsp flour

pixel.gifMelting Chocolate Cake

We scaled Carnival's recipe down but couldn't help but share it in its original form. Serving 90, it called for 8 pounds of dark chocolate, 8 pounds of butter, 80 eggs, 5 pounds of sugar and 5 pounds of flour! This kitchen-friendly version will make 10 to 12 individual cakes. Make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and chocolate is still warm when combining.

1. Melt the chocolate and butter together.

2. In a seperate bowl, mix the eggs and sugar; whisk for a few minutes, then add the flour.

3. Add the egg mixture to the melted chocolate and mix.

4. Pour the mix into greased individual serving dishes. Bake in the oven at 200 degrees celsius (between 375 and 400 fahrenheit) for 14 minutes.

5. Enjoy warm! Cruise Critic member tinabrn says it's "awesome with ice cream."

I haven't made this yet since I would eat it all and can't afford the calories, fat or extra pounds!

Debbie

Oh how I miss that dessert ~ I ate it every night with icecream:D

I loved all the soups and all the pastas I had. The prime rib the first night was great as well as the crab legs. I liked the fact that they cut the crab legs in half so you didn't have to dig. The citrus sorbets are one of my favorites also.

Hubby says all the soups and the seafood were good. He didn't love the octopus salad but really liked the squid salad. Of course, we're talking about someone who actually liked the icky breakfast herring rolled around a pickle. He is Scandinavian though! I kept having to move the table sign around so I didn't have to look at the nasty herring on his plate. I guess that the price I pay for too much X-1 the day before.

I thought the pizza was ok but also found "frankfurter" pizza a bit odd.

Oh yes, I liked the tater tot type potatoes on the breakfast boofay as long as you dabbed the grease off.

Annie

I can't wait to get back on a Costa cruise to enjoy the fresh gnocchi with basil, breads dipped in olive oil and chocolate ganache dessert "Costa" from the dining room. Picture below....

What foods are the rest of you craving?

1. Liquids

2. Flowing liquids (next cruise will be X1 based)

3. Anything that passed my lips and required jaw reflex (chewing)

Ron

Of course, we're talking about someone who actually liked the icky breakfast herring rolled around a pickle. He is Scandinavian though! I kept having to move the table sign around so I didn't have to look at the nasty herring on his plate. I guess that the price I pay for too much X-1 the day before.

OMG! That's soooo funny!

My 12 year old son, Mike, just said that the food he looks forward to eating is the Veal Shanks aka "Osso Bucco".

Archived