Sharps In Hand Baggage?

vcdarty

I believe that they will confiscate knives in luggage but pocket knives must be ok as I found one on a seat in the library once.

In Alaska I bought 2 ulu knives to take home - both in original packaging and the man on the x-ray machine told me to take them to the cabin and lock them in the suitcase or he would have to confiscate them until the end of the voyage.

I take my lancets for blood testing and have never had a problem either on a plane or boarding the ship.

Boarding the Volendam a couple of years ago one of my traveling companions had her knitting confiscated (due to metal knitting needles) -- after much appealing to the authorities we were able to get it back once out at sea but we were originally told that it would be kept until we returned to Fort Lauderdale.

I would exercise some caution about what I put in my carry on bags while boarding the ship. My friend would have been fine had her knitting been stashed in her checked bags. When she has cruised since then her knitting has been stashed in her checked bags and has always made it on board.

Boarding the Volendam a couple of years ago one of my traveling companions had her knitting confiscated (due to metal knitting needles) -- after much appealing to the authorities we were able to get it back once out at sea but we were originally told that it would be kept until we returned to Fort Lauderdale.

I would exercise some caution about what I put in my carry on bags while boarding the ship. My friend would have been fine had her knitting been stashed in her checked bags. When she has cruised since then her knitting has been stashed in her checked bags and has always made it on board.

I'm sorry, but what possible difference does it make which bag they are in coming on the ship????

I'm sorry, but threatening to take knitting needles is idiotic!

I travel with knitting and crochet work all the time, but don't use metal hooks or needles.

All these excuses for security are ridiculous and likely will affect my decisions on which cruise lines to book in future.

Dakrewser

I agree with you 100% -- but that is what happened. After her knitting was "discovered" she was treated very poorly. She was subjected to multiple searches. When she complained she was told that her knitting would be held in Fort Lauderdale or alternately, they would take the knitting off of the needles and return the actual garment to her. She was not happy.

As soon as we were able to board we went directly to the front desk to appeal the issue -- they were polite but said that there was not much that they could do .... however, after we left port, sort of as soon as we were really out of the harbor area, there was a knock at our door and as we stood out on our balcony enjoying the view, the knitting was left of one of the beds by an HAL crew member.

If I hadn't been present and watched this whole incident myself I may have had trouble believing it.

Makes no sense to me.

As soon as we were able to board we went directly to the front desk to appeal the issue -- they were polite but said that there was not much that they could do

Who was doing the searching of the bag, then? Because every time I get on the boat it's HAL personnel searching - and the purser's office can certainly do something about them!

Funny story here: last year while on the White Pass & Yukon excursion from Skagway, DW found 3 old, rusty railroad spikes laying in the snow at Fraser Station. She threw them in her HAL bag.

Upon returning to Skagway, we boarded the Zaandam and when DW's bag went through the x-ray device, security pulled the bag and pulled out the spikes. The security officer asked DW where she got them. She explained and the security officer said they would hold them until the last day of the cruise and have them delivered to our cabin.

Sure enough, on the last day, the 3 spikes, bound by masking tape, appeared in our cabin. We also had a voicemail message from the security officer confirming the delivery and he expressed hope that DW had not removed the spikes from an active track! :)

Who did the inspections? My memory is not firm here, but all along I assumed that it was port security, not HAL -- I do not think that the inspectors were wearing the red vests but rather dressed more like the TSA security people at the airports. But then again, I was not thinking about who they were at the time.

Archived