Be careful with Celebrity Credit Cards

Quent

We cruise Celebrity quite frequently. Three years ago we decided that we would get a Celebrity credit card to save our points for future cruises. We had a total of 90,000 points and decided this year to spend some of the points on an airline tickets to Jackson, Wy., and were suprised to learn that 25,000 points did not award us a ticket as stated in the Celebrity web site. Bank of America issues the card and they use a travel agent to issue the airline tickets. We were told that we had to use the points and add $297 to get the ticket. I do think that the web site should state that 25,000 points will not get a you ticket anywhere in the U.S. but, will get you $400 of the ticket.

We still cruise Celebrity, but now we are planning to switch the credit card to a more friendly and honest bank.

We cruise Celebrity quite frequently. Three years ago we decided that we would get a Celebrity credit card to save our points for future cruises. We had a total of 90,000 points and decided this year to spend some of the points on an airline tickets to Jackson, Wy., and were suprised to learn that 25,000 points did not award us a ticket as stated in the Celebrity web site. Bank of America issues the card and they use a travel agent to issue the airline tickets. We were told that we had to use the points and add $297 to get the ticket. I do think that the web site should state that 25,000 points will not get a you ticket anywhere in the U.S. but, will get you $400 of the ticket.

We still cruise Celebrity, but now we are planning to switch the credit card to a more friendly and honest bank.

I tried to use my points for a seat to Rome and was surprised that the add on fee was $99.00. This was in the fall. The add on fee has gone up. There are other products and services that you can get with Celebrity for example a free companioin for Mexico and the Caribbean. In fcat I think that this is a better use of the popints.

I have US airways miles points and can';t get a seat. They increased the award points for europe to 100k. As more and more people are flying it looks like less and less is given to us from the airlines.

The problem is industry-wide.

I have had more success with Chase Bank managed cards (United Airlines, Marriott) than with B of A (USAir) and Amex (Delta, Virgin).

Rather than recite a bunch of "war stories," suffice it to say that we've enjoyed several "Mileage Plus" flights on United and several room nights with Marriott but only one flight with USAir and that one was a "Business Class" flight after finding no seats available in coach from 1 to 11 months ahead.

We've never had any luck finding an available Virgin or Delta flight to anywhere using their program.

Bottom line. If an affinity card is attractive to you, first check out the hidden charges (annual membership fee, higher finance charge rate, more punitive "default" conditions, etc.); then call the sponsor airline, hotel chain and/or cruise line to discuss with them all the details of their program.

After the rosy scenarios are provided to you, ask them if you can get a written summary of the promises and of all surcharges and restrictions that apply.

Keep in mind that, in many cases, you need to know the rules and strategies involved. We were successful booking the Marriott hotel on the Champs Elysee in Paris on two occasions. In order to do that, however, we had to call in our reservation at 12:01am Paris time 11 months before our desired arrival time. The rooms were not in the best location but were excellent and the location of the Hotel cannot be beat.

We use a US Airways Visa with BofA. Last year we were about to get 2 tickets to Rome in July (high season) for 50,000 points each. This year we are going back to Rome in July and again got award tickets at 50,000 points per person. I think you will do better with an airline card.

WOW Jade - That's a bunch of points! Do you get a point for each $1 you charge like we do?

Our VISA Bank card has recently gone up from 25,000 points to anywhere in the US and PR, regardless of price of ticket, to:

25,000 point redemption level equals ticket values of $50-$300; 35,000 point redemption level equals ticket values of $300.01-$400; 60,000 point redemption level equals ticket values of $400.01-$700; 100,000 point redemption level equals ticket values of $700.01-$1,000; other destinations and packages will be determined at the time of redemption. (4) During 12/15 thru 12/31, cruise and/or vacation packages may not be available as a redemption alternative. (5) Redemptions can be made up to 11 months in advance.

We can pay the difference if we do not have enough points. We use to be able to fly free, about once a year. Now, with flights being higher, it takes longer to earn enough points for two people. :(

My point is that the Celebrity web site for the Visa card says that you can redeem 25,000 points for a airline ticket to any where in the country. That is an incorrect statement and Celebrity should not invite persons to use their card and not support what they say.

I have other points that I can use, but the air ticket I was interested in costs $697 and I thought 25,000 was a good deal.-- Too good.

WOW Jade - That's a bunch of points! Do you get a point for each $1 you charge like we do?

Our VISA Bank card has recently gone up from 25,000 points to anywhere in the US and PR, regardless of price of ticket, to:

We can pay the difference if we do not have enough points. We use to be able to fly free, about once a year. Now, with flights being higher, it takes longer to earn enough points for two people. :(

Yes, and that is not a good deal. The Rome tickets (high season) would have cost us $1,600.00 each (possibly $1,400.00), so I would want at least a $700.00 value if I was going to use 25,000 points for a US flight.

We went to Montreal in the fall of 2006 and that cost us 25,000 points each (and the retail was about $700.00 each).

I just got a mailing for a Celebrity Credit card yesterday and looked through it after reading this thread. While the advertising inside included some general talk about what points could be used for it didn't include any information that indicated how many points you'd need for what - nor any indication of where you could find this information (at least not that I could see).

I've generally stuck to credit cards tied to the airline we use most. We use the points for expensive tickets when we can plan far enough in advance. We also use up points for upgrades on long flights when we can.

I use a VISA Celebrity card and have never had a problem redeeming points for onboard credit. I use a seperate card for any air travel but since I'm one of those who not a fan of flying of late, it has not been problem for me. When I have to fly, I just try to find the best deal around with whatever points I have. The whole key to all of this is to pay the credit card off and not let it buld up ( Easier said than done! That's for sure). Otherwise, you might end up paying more for the ticket than the points are worth. That's just MHO.

I think all the cards do the same, they do no use an incorrect statement, just what turns out to be a misleading one. Frequently, what you want is not available, that is the problem due to little allocation for the program. Once those seats are gone, they add $ to the supposed 25k points. The farther in advance you book, usually the better off you are. However, that is not always the case. Last time I did this, it was 90 days out the free seat wasn't there. So I bought on another airline. After a month I thought I'd check again (why did I check!!!!), the month later, a seat was available for the program. #&%#& !!!

The request for air tickets was for the end of July, not right away. The seats were there, however the travel agent said that the 25K points allowed only $400 off the ticket price and I would have to pay the difference. That's the rub. Celebrity should revise their web page and state the truth.

Check out the Celebrity Visa credit card point redemption promise on the celebrity web site. Sure, I use the points for on board credit also but I had a lot of points and thought this was the best deal. Apparently not.

https://wwwn.applyonlinenow.com/us/rafi-faa8nz/points.html

If you look at the chart, first column, next to REWARDS please see the footnote. When you read the fine print in the agreement/disclosure, you will see that it clearly states points AND cash MAY be required depending on the ticket. And the disclosure was darn hard to find-I actually had to go to the B of A, Amex website to find the terms.

I think all the cards do the same, they do no use an incorrect statement, just what turns out to be a misleading one. Frequently, what you want is not available, that is the problem due to little allocation for the program.

Once those seats are gone, they add $ to the supposed 25k points.

There is truly a LARGE difference in credit cards-especially those you use to purchase airline tickets. Captial One is one of the worst offenders-yes, you can get a ticket any time. However, the amount of points or the cash you have to kick in correspond to the price of the ticket. So if you are looking for award tickets to a premium place or at premium times it may cost you A LOT in both miles and money. A true rip and there are more and more of these types of cards out there. REALLY pays to read the fine print, which is something most of us do not do.

The farther in advance you book, usually the better off you are. However, that is not always the case. Last time I did this, it was 90 days out the free seat wasn't there. So I bought on another airline. After a month I thought I'd check again (why did I check!!!!), the month later, a seat was available for the program. #&%#& !!!

This is a function of airline yield management-has nothing to do with a credit card. The airlines only release XXX amount of award seats at 330 days. They also release additional seats close to flight date, depending upon how well the flight is selling. This is especially true for first class seats. IF an airline has not sold out fc close to flight date, most of the time they will release those seats for award tickets on a "saver" basis.

One of the BEST credit cards going is the Starwood AMEX. The Starwood points can be transferred into almost any airline FF program you want. And often, the transfer is 2 for 1 + bonus. I transferred 109,000 Starwood points to Qantas FF program 4 years ago. The transfer + bonus was enough to get me TWO tickets on Concorde. Because of the generosity of the program and the ability to transfer to most FF programs, I use my Starwood AMEX almost every place I can.

• 1 month later...
I just got a mailing for a Celebrity Credit card yesterday and looked through it after reading this thread. While the advertising inside included some general talk about what points could be used for it didn't include any information that indicated how many points you'd need for what - nor any indication of where you could find this information (at least not that I could see).

I've generally stuck to credit cards tied to the airline we use most. We use the points for expensive tickets when we can plan far enough in advance. We also use up points for upgrades on long flights when we can.

I want to get a CC credit card before I book my next cruise. I'm trying to determine the method that will get me the most points for signing up. Did the mailing you receive offer any special offers? The online application offers 50 points. Thanks!

Did the mailing you recei

I love BofA and suggest you switch to an Airline credit card. Yes, there is an annual fee, but we have been going out of the country on a yearly basis using miles. 25,000 on US Airways Mastercard or Visa (the Mastercard is with Barclays) will get you a flight on Air Canada to Canada, etc.

One of the BEST credit cards going is the Starwood AMEX. The Starwood points can be transferred into almost any airline FF program you want. And often, the transfer is 2 for 1 + bonus. I transferred 109,000 Starwood points to Qantas FF program 4 years ago. The transfer + bonus was enough to get me TWO tickets on Concorde. Because of the generosity of the program and the ability to transfer to most FF programs, I use my Starwood AMEX almost every place I can.

Never heard of that one. So, does this mean you stay at Starwood hotels (Sheraton, right?). Is there a cost for the Amex Card?

320,000 points on BOA's Us Airway card for our trip to Rome this year. Business class on Lufthansa except for one leg Munich to Rome which wasn't available.

I cashed these points in last June on the first day they opened the frequent flier seats. I wasn't able even on the first day to get the flights I wanted, but we'll be in Rome 3 extra days and Munich 1 day on the way back, but at least we'll be able to use the Lufthansa lounge at the airports, or at least were told we could.

As for BOA, I just got the X Visa card. Not for the points, but because they offered a balance transfer of 0% until next June 09. The only thing I didn't see in fine print is that transfers now are 3% of the amount and not the old standard $90 per transaction. So I paid a bit more upfront but in the longrun, I'll be saving. ( BTW I HATE BOA! Chase is so much better with rates, fees, customer service etc...IMHO. However for 0% I can deal for 14 months ).

Dave:eek:

Never heard of that one. So, does this mean you stay at Starwood hotels (Sheraton, right?). Is there a cost for the Amex Card?

I sometimes stay at Starwood hotels. Just depends where I am in the world.

Starwood Amex is $45.00 per year, unless you are offered the premium card. Charges have to be in excess of $75,000 yearly to get the free card.

Here is an old article. http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/Starwood-Amex-should-hotel.html?id=14763 Some of the prices are out of date, but the info is still solid.

I use my Starwood Amex in the US only. Amex is just too difficult to use overseas. But I accrue the points to use for first class/special trips. And since I can pick almost airline, I am "saving up" for a first class trip on Emirates (in their suites) to Africa. Lots and lots of miles, but the private chauffeur and the suite will definitely be worth it. http://www.emirates.com/us/english/flying/cabin_features/first_class/new_private_suites.aspx

Starwood Amex is $45.00 per year, unless you are offered the premium card. Charges have to be in excess of $75,000 yearly to get the free card.

Here is an old article. http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/Starwood-Amex-should-hotel.html?id=14763 Some of the prices are out of date, but the info is still solid.

I use my Starwood Amex in the US only. Amex is just too difficult to use overseas. But I accrue the points to use for first class/special trips. And since I can pick almost airline, I am "saving up" for a first class trip on Emirates (in their suites) to Africa. Lots and lots of miles, but the private chauffeur and the suite will definitely be worth it. http://www.emirates.com/us/english/flying/cabin_features/first_class/new_private_suites.aspx

Very cool. How many miles do you need? Do they have "2 person Suites"?

This would not work for me because:

"One caveat about this deal: Starwood points do expire after 12 months if you have no earning activity at a Starwood property."

Archived