Fort Lauderdale Hotel

Orcrone

We'll be flying into Fort Lauderdale the night before the cruise, arriving at the airport at 10:00 PM. I could rent a car and stay at my mother's place, but we figure we won't arrive until 11:30. So we're considering staying at a hotel. I looked at the Embassey Suites, but they wanted about $240 for the one night.

Since we won't be arriving until late, we don't need anything fancy. Just a clean bed and shuttle service (airport to hotel and hotel to pier). Breakfast included would be nice. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Since this is during spring break I realize hotels can get expensive. If that's a case we can always go with plan A and go to my mother.

Also, I know of Priceline. However, if I use them is there any way to know if the hotel will have shuttle service and/or breakfast?

Calling the hotels will tell you if they provide free shuttle. Odds are if you bid 3* downtown there won't be one. However, the price you save will compensate the minimal taxi ride. The thing with priceline is though, you are bidding on accomidations for 2. There is a chance the hotel will only provide a Kingsize bed. You have to call the hotel direct to switch to 2 doubles and it's up to the hotel whether to accept this request. This is something to think about.

Check with the Amerisuites. There should be ample room for you and the girls. If you have an entertainment card, ask for the rate. Book soon as they are the first rates to sell out. They have a shuttle from the airport and to & from the pier. Hope this helps.

Hey Marc

Last time I stayed in FLL, it was at the Radisson Bahia Mar on the beach. Nice hotel, clean, convenient to thedocks and airport.

Think I paid around 135 that time (Nov, i believe).

The hotel has a main bldg, with the tower. And an older structure that's 3 storeys (it's the original when the place was a motor inn)

I'll let you know of other details when my memory chips kick-in.

Catch you later ....cheers!

Thanks Maureen and Vic,

I'm a little hesitant regarding the the Amerisuites. There was a thread on this page or the previous one about the Amerisuites. No one had much good to say about it. It sound like Priceline is out for me. Don't want to bid on a hotel to find out we have one king bed.

I'll check on the Radisson. I'll also pick up a AAA book and start calling around. At least this will help kill the time between the Maasdam in October and the Zuiderdam in March.:D

Try Hotwire. You'll pay a little more than you would with Priceline, but you can see by the icons if the hotel offers a shuttle or breakfast. If it is an "Airport" hotel, in all likelyhood they will have a shuttle from airport to hotel, but you might have to taxi to the pier. Hotwire will have a key to show what each icon means. The breakfast is worth than the shuttle, I'd think.

Last winter we stayed at the Marriott Marina which we got through Priceline for $80.00. It was lovely. They did have a shuttle to the port (I can't remember if it was free since we had rented a car from Avis and they shuttled us to the port.) I think we went down the street for breakfast which we could afford because we paid so little for the room.

Roberta

I got the Marriott through priceline last year for $52, this was a Monday night as I was sailing on Tuesday. This year I am sailing on a Sunday and got the Marriott as well but this time being a Saturday night stay, I paid $75 this time, which I still feel is a bargain. The Marriott does have a free shuttle to the pier, but no shuttle from the airport to the hotel. Sign up for the shuttle early as I hear it does fill up quickly. If its filled up and you don't want to wait, the hotel is very close to the pier, hop in a cab, the cab fare is minimal.

If you don't want to use priceline, I have stayed, and would stay again if Priceline didn't come through for me, at the Comfort Inn on Sterling Road. This hotel is your standard Comfort Inn, perfect for a pre or post cruise stay. They have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, from the hotel to the pier and a free breakfast buffet as well. This is a clean hotel and I found it perfect for our needs, til I found priceline.

Good luck hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. I'll check out the Marriott and Comfort Inn also. Based on Maureen's comments about bidding on Priceline and possibly not getting extra beds and Stillfrantic's comment about not knowing about shuttle service and breakfast availability, I'll probably look at one of the online sites or go to the hotels directly.

Marc, I am in a similair situation, except it will be Tom and I only. We arrive late into FLL and the hotel is really not a big deal. I did book the Amerisuites for $79.00 for one night. I agree I thought about canceling with all the bad storys but. I also know that there is an old kind of run down hotel we love in Kona Hawaii. It never has a good review but it's location is wonderful and it is always clean. I figured for $79.00 dollars how bad can it be. Espeicially if it is close to the Pier and walking distance to many places to eat. Even if their shuttle is full I am sure I can grab a taxi. We will be arriving Saturday March 12th and sailing on Sunday the 13th on the Westerdam.

The other thing you need to remember with as late as you are getting in there probably will be no hotel that will offer shuttle service to pick at the airport that late at night. Most of them I called said 9 or 10.

Thanks Lisa,

I was wondering whether a 10 PM arrival would be a problem. I looked at the Amerisuites website this morning. For Friday March 25 they wanted $110 a night plus tax ($12.10), and that was for a non-refundable rate. It was $134 plus tax for a refundable rate.

I'll look around some. But I'm thinking that the rates are going to be pretty high as we're getting further into spring break. So I'll probably just rent a car and drive to my mom's.

BTW, there are several Amerisuites listedin FLL. Is it the Amerisuites on 17th Street?

Marc, Yes We chose the one on 17th St. That is too bad the rate is so much higher. We are going at the very begining of Spring Break so I guess it is a little bit cheaper. I know that some people have not had great experience with the hotel but I am not expecting a 5 star hotel for the price. Plus most people who do reviews do it to complain, those who thought it was OK will never bother to comment so unfortuately complaints are heard more than Just OK or praise. I think we will just stay put.

I spent some time this morning on the web looking at hotels. I found a remodeled Ramada Inn on SR 84 in FLL, about 1 1/2 miles from both the airport and cruiseport. They have complementary transportation to/from both, as well as a complementary hot breakfast buffet. It looked decent in the photos, and since it was just remodeled I'm hoping it's an accurate depiction. The web rate was $109 for the night. I booked it, but I can always cancel. Anyone know anything about the hotel?

I spent some time this morning on the web looking at hotels. I found a remodeled Ramada Inn on SR 84 in FLL, about 1 1/2 miles from both the airport and cruiseport.

I've never seen so many bad reviews on TripAdvisor! Seriously, check here.

Go with Priceline. You'll get an exceptional value at a price that's more than reasonable. Cabs and Breakfast won't add that much to the bill.

-dave

I've never seen so many bad reviews on TripAdvisor! Seriously, check here.

Go with Priceline. You'll get an exceptional value at a price that's more than reasonable. Cabs and Breakfast won't add that much to the bill.

-dave

Dave,

Thanks you very much for the link. With the exception of one review I've never seen such a group of negative things said about a hotel. I'm shying away from priceline because they book rooms for two and sometimes you have trouble having the hotel put you in a room with two doubles. But I'll definitely cancel my reservation.

Thanks again,

Marc

We had a problem with boat week. We leave on the 30th of Oct. We finally booked at the sleep inn, Dania, a couple of miles from the port. They do shuttles from the airport and to the ship. You also get breakfast, and the building is only a little over a year old. You can book a suite, 2 queens and a pullout or 1 king bed in an hotel room. We are paying 103 for the suite. We need the 2 beds. Ask for discounts. There is also a Publix across the street, and a Walgreens next door. That means we don't have to pack the shampoo, spray etc.

easier to buy it and carry on board in a bag.

Beej,

I noticed and considered that hotel too. Let me know how it is if you don't mind. In case you can't find this thread you can e-mail me at morlick1 at cox dot net.

As it is I booked the Hampton Inn North. It only had one review on TripAdvisor, but at least that one was very good. And it was only 7 or 8 dollars more than the Ramada.

Beej,

I noticed and considered that hotel too. Let me know how it is if you don't mind. In case you can't find this thread you can e-mail me at morlick1 at cox dot net.

As it is I booked the Hampton Inn North. It only had one review on TripAdvisor, but at least that one was very good. And it was only 7 or 8 dollars more than the Ramada.

What is the address of the Hampton Inn North, Orcrone? I just booked the Hampton Inn at 2500 Stirling Road for 3 of us - 3rd person is free with shuttle from airport to hotel and hotel to pier. I was in my TA's office when she did this for me and she said the shuttle runs from 6am to midnight, I believe.

When are you sailing? We aren't going until Christmas, so if you are sailing after us, I can let you know what it is like.

What is the address of the Hampton Inn North, Orcrone? I just booked the Hampton Inn at 2500 Stirling Road for 3 of us - 3rd person is free with shuttle from airport to hotel and hotel to pier. I was in my TA's office when she did this for me and she said the shuttle runs from 6am to midnight, I believe.

When are you sailing? We aren't going until Christmas, so if you are sailing after us, I can let you know what it is like.

I don't believe it's the same one. It's located on SW 12th Ave. I called them today and they said they had 24 hour shuttle service. I think I checked out the one you're staying at, but it was about $20 a night more.

We're sailing in March. I appreciate you letting me know how the hotel is. I can always switch if I know yours is in good shape. My main concern is having 100 people waiting to get on a 15 passenger van to go to the terminal.

I don't believe it's the same one. It's located on SW 12th Ave. I called them today and they said they had 24 hour shuttle service. I think I checked out the one you're staying at, but it was about $20 a night more.

We're sailing in March. I appreciate you letting me know how the hotel is. I can always switch if I know yours is in good shape. My main concern is having 100 people waiting to get on a 15 passenger van to go to the terminal.

Will let you know what the one we are staying at is like.

Do what we do - take a taxi - it's a heck of a lot better than standing around waiting for them to fill up the van and have to drop-off passengers at different ships and your's just happens to be the last. :p

Those vans usually only hold anywhere from 6-9 people and then there's all the luggage. :eek:

OrCrone, I wrote a note to myself to review Sleep Inn for you. The reviews I read on TripAdvisor basically sound good. Marriott Marina or like frome Priceline would have worked, but everything is booked solid, as is the SI now according to most sites.

On Hotwire you will see the icons of the ammenities available at each property. I think the suite hotel icon with 2.5 stars is the Amerisuites, the 3.5* is Embassy Suites. (check some bidding info sites to be sure) It will also show if they have a shuttle. At the most with one of the airport hotels, you'd have to taxi in the morning to the pier, about $10. If you are sure you'll have an included breakfast by finding the breakfast icon, the taxi would be cheap by comparison.

Archived