Marina Hotel San Pedro

PTcruisers

Sailing on the Pride 10/10/04 and could not find a hotel anywhere in Long Beach even the run down Travelodge was booked. Not sure what is going on that weekend, but something must be. Used Priceline for the San Pedro area and got the Marina Hotel. It looks really nice on the web. Has anyone stayed there before? Is it close to the tourist section of San Pedro?

Thank you for your response. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just stayed there this week pre-cruise. Got it on Priceline for $50. Good size room. Older furnishings, but in good condition. Queen size bed, loveseat, desk, 25 inch TV. Very comfortable, especially for the price. Was pleasantly surprised. They shuttled us to and from the port. Very prompt in picking us up, only had to wait about 5 minutes for them to get there.

What area did you select for bidding in San Pedro? Also, what star is Marina?

I am looking for lodging near the dock. Also, what amount did you start bidding?

Sorry to ask so many questions!!!

Thanks, Grace

Don't worry about asking questions. That's what we're here for, right? I've learned so much from these boards it sort of feels good to be able to answer some for a change!

I bid for a 3 star hotel in the San Pedro area. It kind of breaks it down into Long Beach, LAX area, San Pedro, etc. $50 was my first bid and it was immediately accepted, so who knows, maybe you could get it for less?? It was only about a 5 minute drive to the ship and they were very nice about taking & picking us up promptly.

This was my first time using Priceline, so I was a little nervous. But because of everything I've learned from these boards, I thought I would give it a try & I'm very pleased with the results.

If there's anything else I can maybe answer, just let me know!

Don't know where the Marina Hotel is, but there is a decent Best Western quite close to the pier, and for anyone driving, your parking is included in the price of the rooms. Might want to check this out. I did not stay there, but we had breaksfast there before sailing and I did have them show me a room. Not a resort, but certainly ok for sleeping one night. It is also short walking distance (5 minutes or less) to Ports o' Call shopping center. There are several resturants there. I have heard that San Pedro is not so safe at night, but do not know that from personal experience.

The Marina Hotel didn't appear to be within walking distance of any shops/restaurants from what I saw. They do have a restaurant, but we did not eat there. Parking is free for the length of your cruise (the parking lot is well lit) and so is the shuttle to/from the ship. The Ports O' Call is a short drive (1 mile?), we drove over & got out to look around (this was on a Sunday late afternoon). The place was really crowded, but we didn't feel really comfortable with the type of crowd that was there, so we left. We ended up driving to Long Beach (about 10 minutes away) for dinner. I don't know exactly how "safe" San Pedro is, but I don't think I would want to walk down the street after dark! During daylight hours, you're probably safe. The area right around the Marina Hotel looked fine, sort of resorty.

I stayed there pre-cruise a couple of years ago. They were more than glad to shuttle us to/from nearby restaurants. The hotel is older, only 3 stories, very well-kept, very relaxing. They had a couple of outdoor weddings while we were there - fun to watch from our room.

The hotel fronts its own marina and is about 2 1/2 miles to the actual port. The area around the hotel is fine with nice views out to the ocean. There is a small park adjacent along the waterfront. The closest nice restaurant is the 21st street restaurant about 1 mile away. The hotel is rated 3 stars. They have two vans that shuttle you to/from different areas within 5 miles of hotel. Thry are complimentary and I give them a tip. I have stayed here twice with a third time scheduled for 11/26/04. With taxes and fees I got this hotel for $68 through Priceline. In the past I have gotten it for less.

Steve Hayes

Sailing on the Pride 10/10/04 and could not find a hotel anywhere in Long Beach even the run down Travelodge was booked. Not sure what is going on that weekend, but something must be. Used Priceline for the San Pedro area and got the Marina Hotel. It looks really nice on the web. Has anyone stayed there before? Is it close to the tourist section of San Pedro?

Thank you for your response. :)

Did anyone drive there, park there the whole week, and book through Priceline at the reduced rate? I called Marina directly and they want $149 to stay and park there during the cruise. If I can get a room through Priceline for $50 and still park there, I would love it.

I have personally done this twice before and currently am booked for 11/26/04. This time around my winning bid through Priceline was $55 with taxes and fees total was $68.55.

I have used them for a 7 day and a 10 day cruise.

In the past they have not even given any type of sticker or anything to identify your car. It is an open parking lot.

Steve Hayes

Did anyone drive there, park there the whole week, and book through Priceline at the reduced rate? I called Marina directly and they want $149 to stay and park there during the cruise. If I can get a room through Priceline for $50 and still park there, I would love it.

We reserved our room thru Priceline. We drove down & parked there for the week of the cruise. They just told us to park wherever we wanted in the parking lot. They did not give us a ticket or anything to place in our window, etc. I think if you reserve the park & cruise thru them, you get a bottle of wine or breakfast or something like that....not worth the extra money, in my opinion.

We stayed at the Marina hotel for one night precruise on October 15. Our room was nice and clean, and yes I am anal about clean! They were great to take us to a restaurant and pick us up, she even stopped at liquor store for our wine on our way back from dinner. San Pedro doesn't have a good wine selection, so if you have a definate preference, you may need to go to Long Beach to find it. I made do with Sterling and Rodney Strong and paid more than I ever do here or in Dallas. We ate breakfast in the hotel and it was fine with typical hotel prices. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in this hotel again for the $60+ I paid thru priceline.

As to the safety of San Pedro, we walked to Pacific and 21st for a quick lunch and it was inexpensive and tasty. I think it was called Maria's and pretty authentic mexican food. We felt safe walking around during the day, but the area we had lunch in I wouldn't hang around after dark. I thought Ports of Call was pretty unsavory, but we walked to 9th Street and had dinner at Ante's and felt secure enough.

I hope this helps.

We stayed there Sept 26th. Our room was clean. Everything seemed to be in good shape. I would definitely stay there again. The lobby, halls, etc looked fine to me. I didn't notice any obvious bad stains, etc. I agee that the Ports O' Call was unsavory. Didn't take us but a quick drive around the parking lot to leave.

Archived