Post Cruise-Alaska

docmsf

Call Kenny Timberwolf of Timberwolf Tours. He will pick you up and drive you to Denali in his limo bus. Then after you can catch the Gold Star train into Anchorage or you can fly to Fairbanks and fly home from a visit there. Kenny is very talkative - he will tell you some small places to go too. Stay at the Grande Denali - it's the nicest there - which is for Alaska. Not a Ritz ...

Thanks for your suggestion. We are struggling in the attempt to find the "just right" post cruise tour. Either they seem cheap-buses and big groups)-or way expensive with really more than we want to do at the tail end of the trip.

Keep those suggestions coming!

Depends on what you like, but this is one area I would definitely do on my own--actually have 3 different times. If you like fishing, the Kenai is the place to be. I am not so much into that, but my husband loves it. You have to book early though. We stayed at the Kenai Princess. It is very nice. My husband and oldest son fished. Younger son and I did different things--went hiking, canoeing.

Another option would be visiting Denali. Again, don't need a tour to do that. You can get a car in Seward and drive or take the train.

• 1 month later...

Hope you enjoy your trip to Alaska.

Depending on your interests, talents, and ability to operate a larger motor vehicle, I always like to suggest renting a motorhome.

You would need to get transport from Seward to Anchorage Airport, where most of the motor home rental companies have offices or shuttle service to pick you up. Once you have your motorhome (from smaller 22' to a 6 person 32') just go to one of the large Grocery superstores (Fred Meyer, Carrs, or even Costco) and load it with provisions (groceries can get more expensive out of Anchorage). Then you can drive either to Denali or south toward Seward or Homer.

Our permanant home is in Wasilla, Alaska, and we have a 30' 5th wheel that we use on our summer holidays. We like cruising and being pampered while onboard, but the quiet evenings in a camper at the end of a road State campground are really more what Alaska is about. We also enjoy the beachfront camping in Seward, and watching the cruise boats come and go on the weekends. Seward is also a good opportunity for a fishing charter for halibut, salmon and rockfish. (your wife may not be too excited about cooking every day, so good opportunity to stock up on fresh fish, steaks and burger fixins so you can do some campfire cooking...assuming you can find some firewood reasonalbly priced)

If this sounds interesting, start by checking the Anchorage newspaper website, www.adn.com and look into any one of the rental outfits. Daily cost is comparable with room rates in a 4 to 5 star hotel.

If you decide to try this, I will be happy to suggest some good campgrounds and travel itineraries for a 5 to 10 day land stay.

We are doing a pre cruise trip to Denali. The coastal classic train from Seward to Anchorage is supposed to have really beautiful scenery and we are looking forward to seeing the wildlife in Denali. I've also heard that there is lots to do in Seward and the Kenai Fjords are not to be missed. We are missing them tho... :rolleyes:

Archived