Misty Fjords in May

yarby

We were thinking about using Island Wings floatplane to Misty Fjords on our May cruise. I read in one post that the Fjords are more green in June, etc. I was hoping someone has taken this excursion in mid-May or so to let me know if it is worth the $$$ then. Thanks for the info.

Misty is beautiful any time of the year and since the monument is surrounded by national forest evergreens it's green year around. May is actually when spring arrives in SE Alaska so you'll probably see more active waterfalls and some snow on the mountain tops that you'll fly by, and alders and other deciduous trees should be greening as well. I wouldn't let the time of year stop you from seeing this area- it's breathtaking whenever you go.

We were thinking about using Island Wings floatplane to Misty Fjords on our May cruise. I read in one post that the Fjords are more green in June, etc. I was hoping someone has taken this excursion in mid-May or so to let me know if it is worth the $$$ then. Thanks for the info.

Yes, it absolutely is worth the money. There is more snow in May. I've flown in May many times, including your week in 2007. It is all green from June on, maybe later in May.

Yes, it absolutely is worth the money. There is more snow in May. I've flown in May many times, including your week in 2007. It is all green from June on, maybe later in May.

Is it possible to take photos from the plane? We are thinking about booking this, too, and would love to be able to get some aerial shots.

We're thinking of the same Misty Fjords seaplane trip in mid-August. I've read it rains more in August than in June/July.

Is there a better time of day to book the flight due to fog or rain?

This is our first trip to Alaska so I'm not familiar with the rain patterns. Does it usually rain all day or does it occur usually in the morning, afternoon or night? Or...is it anyone's guess?

We're from San Diego where the weather is either "sunny...or unusual". I've heard in Ketchikan it's either "raining...has rained...or will rain".

We enjoy the change and want to be prepared.

We're thinking of the same Misty Fjords seaplane trip in mid-August. I've read it rains more in August than in June/July.

Is there a better time of day to book the flight due to fog or rain?

This is our first trip to Alaska so I'm not familiar with the rain patterns. Does it usually rain all day or does it occur usually in the morning, afternoon or night? Or...is it anyone's guess?

We're from San Diego where the weather is either "sunny...or unusual". I've heard in Ketchikan it's either "raining...has rained...or will rain".

We enjoy the change and want to be prepared.

I suggest you just book your tour for the timeframe that fits your touring schedule best. You are asking a question that can not be answered. I've flown in all timeframes Misty Fjords. Each trip is unique.

Click on the link in my signature below to see the pics we took of Misty Fjords in May of last year. It was a gorgeous flight! The pilot landed on a remote lake and we got out of the plane and it was absolutely quiet. We even had an otter come up to the plane and look at us. Dh wasn't fast enough with the camera to get his pic!:mad:

thanks for the pix, Buc Girl. It reminded me of our wonderful stay at the Marriott in Anchorage, when the sun came up the first morning and Denali was right in front of us! What a great hotel! And I was salivating at thoughts of Glacier Brewhouse!

Much to my amazement, your pictures made my 62 year old husband want to try a zipline on our Alaska cruise. And THAT's amazing!

Archived