Iceland: Three Day PreCruise Visit

ToBe

We are taking the Scotland/Ireland Century cruise from Amsterdam on May 29. We are spending three days in Iceland on our way to Amsterdam and the cruise. I would appreciate any tips and suggestion on tours.

Icelandic Air was flying nonstop out of BWI. It isn't anymore but we are keeping the flights and going out of Boston.

T

• 4 weeks later...

I surprised my husband on our anniversary a few years ago with a trip from Boston to Iceland and Scotland on Icelandair. It is a fascinating county, and I'm sure that you'll enjoy your visit!

I think that we got to Reykjavik early in the morning, and took the bus included in the package to our hotel. We signed up for tour for the next day at the tour desk at the hotel -- because part of the tour was going to the Blue Lagoon, and we hadn't brought swimsuits (they do rent them, but that didn't sound appealing to me!), we decided to take a taxi to the local mall. We did some shopping and had a bite to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe. In the evening, we took a self-guided walk through the park and downtown -- it was kind of surreal because it was maybe 9:00 pm, and it was still "twilight".

The tour bus picked us up in the morning, and we saw sights around the city, as well as a stop with lunch at a small fishing village, a movie set, and the Blue Lagoon. At the end of the tour, the bus took us to the airport for our flight to Scotland.

I would love to go back sometime to see more of the less populated parts of the country -- the photographs I've seen are amazing!

Please let me know if you have any questions, and I will try to help :-)

Iceland is extremely expensive! I adore Iceland and have traveled around a great deal by bus and boat. Get as many free travel brochures as you can to help with planning. The internet sites are outstanding.

Many people in Iceland speak English as well as other languages. They can help you to sort out the confusing road signs as well as the stops when or if you take public buses.

To help my money go further, I had big breakfasts, fairly big lunches and had soups for dinner. A sit down dinner in a nice restaurant will break the bank as will ordering wine or cocktails.

All hotels and hostels are extremely clean. You don't have to worry when making your choices. In some small towns, the school dorms are rented out during school holidays. Not a bad idea!

We did some shopping and had a bite to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe.

I am starting to think that the Hard Rock Cafe in Reykjavik is closed. I can't find it on their listings anymore. I collect their t-shirts and was hoping to get one there in May when DH and I go on a land-based tour of Iceland. Does anyone know for sure if it is still there?

It closed quite a few years ago. DH is crushed. He has some pins from our one & only visit there (1995) but we've been to Iceland since and it pains him greatly to not be able to go back. :(

That stinks!!! What a disappointment. Oh well, I'll just have to take a picture of where it used to be!:(

Thanks for the info.

I'm sorry to have been the bearer of bad news. :( It was in a mall, as I recall. Kringlan Mall (name sticks in my mind because we have a cat named Kringle). :D I'll bet you can still find non-official T-shirts, but better to spend time looking at scenery in Iceland than T-shirt shopping!

Archived