Roll Call, Avalon Tapestry, Romantic Rhine, Oct 12,2008

ontdi

Hello All, :)

Not sure whether someone has already started a "roll call" for this particular sailing of the Avalon Tapestry, Romantic Rhine, departing on Oct 12,2008.

We are new to River cruising, but are very much looking forward to this experience. The small ship size should be wonderful.

We have had lots of experience cruising on larger ships in the Caribbean, Baltic, Med, etc.

To add to this experience, we have also booked a 1 week Globus tour of Switzerland, starting & ending in Zurich. It seemed like a logical thing to do.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone on this particular river cruise.

Dianne & Bill

• 1 month later...

Yes, my husband and I and another couple are going on this cruise, Basel to Amsterdam. My husband and I took the Avalon Poetry a year or so ago for the Tulip Time cruise and enjoyed it very much. I'm looking forward to this one as well! We are flying in one night ahead into Zurich to avoid worries about delayed flights and/or luggage...and then are spending two extra nights in Amsterdam. We, too, have cruised a lot on large ships, although we have also sailed the Yangtze and the Nile on small river boats. Hope some more people find this thread!!

Marian and George

Hi Marion & George,

Welcome aboard! We are very excited about this river cruise. Bill has sailed on the Nile as well. I haven't. We are just back from a TA on the Norwegian Jade. It sailed from Miami to Barcelona. It was a very smooth crossing. I loved the sea days. I imagine that this river cruise will be a very different experience. Friends are doing this same itinerary in August. We look forward to hearing all about their trip.

We are also joined by another couple. We are all doing a 1 week bus trip around Switzerland before the cruise & have 1 extra day in Zurich as well.

Like you, we hope others find this thread!

Dianne & Bill

Hi there,

We are doing the Basel to Amsterdam Cruise on the Tapestry April 13th-April 20th and staying 3 days in Amsterdam. We hope to see lots of Tulips although Amsterdam had snow Easter weekend! We have cruised the Danube with Viking and loved it. We love the small ships and love meeting people from around the world. We are Canadians and we don't seem to meet too many other Canadians that do this type of travel. It suits us and we hope to do it again and again. When are you going George and Marian?

Hi!

We are very interested in hearing all about your upcoming River Cruise on the Avalon Tapestry. Hope you will post a reply when you return home. We would love a bit of insight into the ports, food, service, etc. Being that this is our first river cruise, it is all new for us. Have you cruised with Avalon before?

I'm from Ontario, Canada & Bill is from just north of Detroit MI. We are still shovelling snow this weekend. This winter just keeps going & going & going! We are off to Mexico for 2 weeks on Wed. Really hope to see spring when we arrive back home.

Cheers~~~~Dianne

We certainly will post a review of our Rhine cruise (October 12-19, 2008) when we return. George and I did a previous Avalon Poetry Tulip Time cruise a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much! As I say, we will post a review of the new cruise, but if you have any specific questions about the Tulip Time Avalon Poetry (March) cruise, let me know and I will answer.

Hi,

I see that you on the same cruise as Bill & I are----Oct 12? That was how I read your original post here. I'm also reading that Cormike1 are doing one in April. Hope I have this correct. Perhaps they will let us know all about their trip.

Dianne

When we did our Tulip Time cruise it was in March. The tulips were starting in the fields then....but never mind...it doesn't matter as long as you are going to the Keukenhof Gardens! They have HUGE green houses that are ABSOLUTELY amazing. Tulips that are THREE FEET TALL, orchids that you've never seen before (and my husband raises them!) and all kinds of beautiful flowers. So even if the outdoors weather isn't what one wishes, the Keukenhof will fulfill all your hopes. (And I really don't work there.. :p )

Hi Diane,

Yes we are doing the cruise April 13-20th and staying 3 days in Amsterdam at the end. Hopefully it will be warmer and the tulips will be in bloom..I will definitely post all about it when we get back. We have not travelled with Avalon before (Viking on the Danube cruise) but received all our tickets, etc. from our travel agent the other day and if they are as efficient and professional as their travel info is then we are in for an excellent vacation! So far very impressed with Avalon! Have fun in Mexico Diane! At least you are getting away from the snow and cold!

Corinne

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Corinne,

By now you will be on your Rhine cruise. Looking forward to hearing all about it when you return home. We are just back from Mexico. Had an awesome time. Weather was very warm & we came home to no snow. Can't ask for more than that!

Dianne

• 3 months later...

Hi out there! Those are my thoughts exactly. Bill & I are very excited to be going on this River Cruise. We have less than 2 months to go now. Are you doing anything before the cruise or perhaps afterwards? We are going on a Globus bus trip in Switzerland for the week before. I have never been in this part of Europe before & am really looking forward to it.

Hope to hear from others now that it is closer to sailing time.

Cheers, Dianne

Diane,

I think its just the eight of us on this cruise!! We are travelling with another couple and we are flying into Zurich the day before embarkation and then spending a couple of extra days in Amsterdam at the end. I'm sorry the previous poster who was doing the cruise in April and promised to give us details obviously fell in love with the Rhine and never returned home....

Helen,

Perhaps there will be 10 of us on the cruise. We are also travelling with another couple from the Detroit, MI area. This cruise will be here before we know it. I wonder about the weather & I will be checking that a bit later in Sept.

I saved as a Word document a report that was written after the same cruise on the Avalon Tapestry from April 13-20. It was a different person but the report was excellent. I could either send it to you, or you could search the "River & Canal cruise" site----put in Romantic Rhine Cruise on Avalon Tapestry April 13-20 in the small search window. There are lots of wonderful details for the cruise itself & on shore. Also there was a link to pictures, menus, etc. on Flicker. Again I don't mind sending you the Document if that is easier for you. Looking forward to meeting you & the rest of your group!

(ontariodianne at yahoo dot com)

Cheers~~~~~Dianne

• 1 month later...

Well it looks like there are still just 10 of us on this sold-out river cruise!!! Our documents have all arrived & it is getting very exciting now. Must start to think about packing. I have been looking at weather for the various ports & think the weather will be very pleasant for October.

Cheers,

Dianne

Well, I'm in Atlanta shopping for this cruise! We, too, all four of us, got our Avalon documents and are really, really looking forward to this trip. We have done a previous Avalon cruise in April a couple of years ago...the Tulip Time cruise....and it was SO COLD that I have a hard time not going to immediately packing my warmest clothing...I HATE to be cold. Our traveling companions have made a research project of the weather and it doesn't look like it will be as cold as April. In any regard, we're looking forward to meeting you.

Glad to see you are still posting. This should be a very enjoyable cruise.

I'm hoping not to have to pack a lot of heavier clothing with the airline weight restrictions now. Cool I don't mind, but not cold! We are having the nicest fall weather now. Hope it stays around for a while.

See you on-board!

Dianne,

I'm sorry, I just realized that I never responded to your previous posting on this thread. I apologize. We had a death in the family and as a result it seems I think I'm paying attention to things and then find I missed some crucial detail.... I would be most appreciative of your emailing me the document detailing experiences from our cruise posted by a previous cruiser that you mentioned earlier. I am trying to look forward to our trip...but as you no doubt know from the news we are so worried about our economy, our election, our stock market, etc. sigh. Once I'm actually on the trip I'll be able to leave all this behind me. Thanks for your loyalty in posting on this thread... I guess we're the only passengers who know about cruise critic!!

mbhthorpe@gmail.com

Archived