Holiday problem?

PTCruizer

We just got off the Holiday today. We sailed on Saturday, 2/16/08, as scheduled. When we got up Sunday morning around 7:30 a.m., an announcement was made that we were on our way back to Mobile due to a medical emergency. They made it back quickly, unloaded the passenger, and we were on our way out very quickly. I heard it was a heart attack or brain aneurysm, but I never found out for sure. This was something the crew had no control over and it was very handled very professionally. They did cancel the stop in Progreso, which didn't bother me at all. My one complaint was that there did not seem to be back up plan in place for this type of thing, and there were very few activities planned for the day we were supposed to be in Progreso and ended up being at sea. They gave each passenger a $25 OBC due to the cancelled stop and all excursions for Progreso were refunded immediately without a visit to the Purser's Desk.

We did experience a LITTLE brown water, but it disappeared very quickly. There was no brown water at all in the shower. I didn't hear of anyone being sick with the norovirus at all. The bathrooms were EXTREMELY clean, especially considering the number of people using them. I have had a few stomach problems today, but I think that's because I ate like a pig all day yesterday, did not even give myself an opportunity to feel a hunger pain! ;)

All in all, we had a fantastic trip, will definitely do it again!

Karen

it was posted that they made everyone get off the ship (evacuate was the term used) while getting the sick passenger off....is this true?? why???

glad you enjoyed your cruise....we were on that ship last year this time and had a good cruise also....

Marsha

Not true at all. In fact, when they unloaded the passenger, we were in the Americana Lounge waiting on the embarkation talk to begin. If I'm not mistaken, we had just finished playing bingo or trivia. Shortly after they unloaded the passenger, they began the talk. I was going to call my family while we were back in Mobile but didn't want to miss any of the talk. As I mentioned earlier, the unloading took place very quickly and we were on our way again.

Karen

This has been one of the worst flu seasons from what I'm hearing...and I mean on land, and I'm up in the Chicago area. I'll be on the holiday in 2(!) weeks, and will bring sanitizer and wash my hands often. What more can you do besdies ENJOY it!? Ahhhhh, I can't wait!!

I didn't go overboard (lol!), but did wash my hands after using the restroom (of course!). They also have dispensers that have disposable cloths in them that you can grab and use to open the restroom doors with so as not to touch the handles, etc. I did use these. Did great onboard, only to get home and find out my daughter and grandson (who live next door) have the flu! Guess I'm not gonna be able to escape it......no way could I have gone another day without seeing him!!

Karen

My wife and I were on the Feb 16 Holiday cruise out of Mobile also. I was on the elevator with the wife of the sick passenger and her girlfriend. She told me her husband had an "aortic aneurysm". He was in serious/critical condition and she was very shaken and crying alot.

AN ER nurse on the cruise told me later when I told her about my conversation that that's why he wasn't choppered off the Holiday. That you must keep their blood pressure down and keep them level and stable so as not to rupture the artery. Apparently "Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms" are among the most common cruise ship emergencies.... (try a Google Search)

It did cause us to have a horrible weather day with no real activities planned because of the weather. But even worse is that they did NOTHING for the rest of us. They simply refunded the port tax that they had pre-billed us for. Since we didn't make port - no tax. IMHO Carnival should have given us all a future upgrade coupon or some nominal additional credit on our Sign & Sail accounts. While I understand that the emergency was beyond their control, the 1000+ passengers on board did not get what we paid for! I still had a great time, but Carnival made no effort to provide restitution to their loyal customers.

I will post a full review of the cruise with pictures in the next few days!

My wife and I were on the Feb 16 Holiday cruise out of Mobile also. I was on the elevator with the wife of the sick passenger and her girlfriend. She told me her husband had an "aortic aneurysm". He was in serious/critical condition and she was very shaken and crying alot.

AN ER nurse on the cruise told me later when I told her about my conversation that that's why he wasn't choppered off the Holiday. That you must keep their blood pressure down and keep them level and stable so as not to rupture the artery. Apparently "Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms" are among the most common cruise ship emergencies.... (try a Google Search)

It did cause us to have a horrible weather day with no real activities planned because of the weather. But even worse is that they did NOTHING for the rest of us. They simply refunded the port tax that they had pre-billed us for. Since we didn't make port - no tax. IMHO Carnival should have given us all a future upgrade coupon or some nominal additional credit on our Sign & Sail accounts. While I understand that the emergency was beyond their control, the 1000+ passengers on board did not get what we paid for! I still had a great time, but Carnival made no effort to provide restitution to their loyal customers.

I will post a full review of the cruise with pictures in the next few days!

I had heard that is an aneursym or heart attack. I agree with you, there seemed to be no back up plan for an extra sea day, there were very few activities planned and that day was totally boring. We weren't disappointed about not going to Progreso and the $25 OBC was fine with us, but I did think they might have done more.

Karen

I was on the Holiday 02/11-02/16. We had brown water in our cabin. It did not go away after running for great lengths of time. And sometimes would get worse. It was in every toilet also.

Sometimes during a shower my white wash cloth would turn brown. And it would not rinse out.

We had a nice cruise on the Holiday. It was our first. Now we know what we are looking for next time.

Inga

Carnival needs to address the brown water issue..people should not have to accept this as part of the cruise.

With that train of thought, so do many, many municpalities in this country. People live with this on land and have learned it is no big deal. Brown water? Iron oxidation. Let it run for a few seconds and all is good. IMHO, much ado about nothing.

I am leaving on the Holiday on March 10th and can't wait. I lived in Pascagoula, MS for 2 years so the brown water will not bother me at all. I hope all we have to complain about is a little iron oxidation! As for the smells, I sailed the Conquest and guess what, the smells were there too! I have also been on the Fantasy, Celebration and Sensation and people had bad things to say about each of these ships before I sailed. I have never had a complaint. Bottom line, be patient and relax. Everything else takes care of itself.

Archived