Toursaver or Ship's Excursions???

bearrabbit

We have always booked our excursions through the cruise ship. I guess that is because of them constantly telling passengers that if something happens they will wait for excusions booked through the ship but if you book something on your own and something goes wrong you're on your own. Anyway, we've always been too scared to book anything on our own. Next July we will be doing the 7 day land package followed by the 7 day southbound cruise in Alaska on Vision of the Seas. I've been reading these forums for weeks now and I see that a vast majority of people talk about using Toursaver to book their excursions. I also see that that particular book sells for around $100 ----- would I be safe to book my excursions using that book of coupons and feel safe that they will make sure I get back to my cruise ship in plenty of time?

I'm a cheapskate and would certainly like to save every dollar I can --- especially considering how much we're already putting out for this cruise --- but I also need to feel safe that I won't have to worry about missing the ship in any port of call.

Thanks for any and all input.

Many of the excursions offered by Toursaver are operated by the same companies that service the cruise ships. In any case, every operator knows the damage that a single late passenger can do to their business, and make sure it doesn't happen.

Murray

We have taken a similar trip two years ago and two weeks ago and booked all but one of our excursions on our own using the info on this and cruisemates boards. We also researched with Frommers. As Murray said, the tour saver book can be for cruise booked companies or others. On the Summit two weeks ago, we were delayed at two ports due to mechanical problems. Our tour companies bent over backwards to reschedule us and their other trips in order to accommodate all Summit passengers who booked with their company. This included Orca Enterprises in Juneau where we were suppose to land at 8, tour at 9:30, instead we docked at 2:30 and they scheduled a new tour at 4:30 with all Summit passengers, many from Cruisecritic board. While it was raining, we did see several whales,sea lions and eagle. Southeast Aviation in Ketchikan did the same. Our 8 am docking became 12:30 and our 11 am tour was changed to 1pm. So both did a great job rescheduling. Also, in Talkeetna, Talkeetna Aero, rescheduled our cancelled due to weather summit flight and we got to do on our way back down from denali. All three companies went beyond what I expected, even when we had coupons with two of them.

My only warning, would be to not try to double book your excursions and cut them too close to each other or to ship leaving time as the unexpected can happen. Give yourself and hour or two leaway. On our Kenai Fjords tour, we blew an engine at the glacier and it took us an hour longer to get back, but we had allowed enough time for something. We save our walking around and shopping time to just before ship leaves in case of problems. Enjoy and take a chance. Smaller groups, non ship people and good vendors.

I have used toursaver for several years. It is most useful for independent travelers and frankly if you are a "cheapskate" :) a cruise tour is not the way to go. You are paying dearly for what you are getting and clearly can see and do twice as much for half the cost if you go on your own. (no meals included as an example) Extremely simple to do and plenty of first hand help on this board. The toursaver will be harder to use from a fixed schedule land tour. As for port tours- there is little available in the toursaver book- over all- check and see what coupons are in the 2005 edition and go from there. If going later in the season, used books are fairly common for sale. As for the fear of missing your ship- it clearly is your responsibility- and with proper planning- you can eliminate most every chance of this. Especially in Alaska independents are long established and give some superior tours- high business standards and higher quality. Rule of thumb- never book any tours ending within an hour and half of the ship departure and ALWAYS go with the vender's recommendation of booking. Understand fully any cancelation restrictions. And Never book until your plans are FIRM- reading this board for trips next year will have you changing your mind over and over and over again. I rarely book more than 60 days ahead- if a must do then look at 3-4 months ahead- as a ball park. If something you really don't want to miss- see what the availablity is and go from there. The more you know the better. Happy Alaska travels.

Archived