Victoria or not?

herbshopgirl

Hi Everyone,

Here is my situation and I am hoping you can help. I tried to research this before posting but I can't seem to find the answer for our situation. Thank you for your help.

We will be ending our cruise in Vancouver on May 26, 2008(Memorial Day)

and would love to see Victoria. We will be flying out of Seattle the next morning(5/27). After speaking to Victoria Clipper tours it seems that this would be an incredible long day...whether we book a tour or rent a car.

I am traveling with my parents who are 72 and 77 and can not handle a 12 hour day.

Should I forget Victoria and just head into Seattle? It is Memorial Day.

Any suggestions on a nice relaxing day that ends in Seattle? We have never been to Vancouver, Seattle, or Victoria...I wish we could stay more days but that nagging little thing called "work" makes us have to leave on May 27th.

Thank you again,

Susan

Yes, forget Victoria, you do not have enough time. I never recommend it as a day trip.

The only possible way to consider it is to fly from Vancouver Harbor on a float plane then take the Clipper on the last ferry back. Problem will be hauling all your luggage are finding storage??

I still don't recommend it.

You could drive back to Seattle, keep alert for border delays and consider crossing in Lynden if needed. You could do the detour to Whidbey Island and then ferry to Everett, passing by the Boeing Plant. Maybe some time for a little Seattle touring??

Thank you BQ, thats what I needed to hear about Victoria.

From what I read it will take at least 4 hrs to get to Seattle plus the time to get off cruise and rent car....so I would think we would be in Seattle

around 1 or 2? Can you suggest some sites based on this limited timeframe? Cool place for dinner?

Thanks again for the help,

Susan

Victoria is a lovely city, but I agree that you won't have time to visit there; however, it will give you an excuse to return someday.

We visit Seattle occasionally to visit our DD and SIL. There are many great places to see. The Hiram M. Chittenden Locks (often referred to as the Ballard Locks) are interesting and the gardens around them are beautiful. http://www.cityofseattle.net/tour/locks.htm

Underground Seattle is a fascinating tour and presents the unique history of Seattle. http://www.undergroundtour.com/

Pike Place Market is a lot of fun, but close parking can be hard to find. (You could drop your parents off while you search for parking.) http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=true

Of course, there are many other places to see and things to do, but these are among our favorites.

Memorial Day weekend in Seattle is the Northwest Folk Life Festival, so be sure to pencil out Seattle Center, Space Needle, Experience Music Project/Sci Fi Museum, and Pacific Science Center, unless you are a great fan of pretending to be a salmon swimming upstream against large crowds, and listening to music while mostly in an upright position.

All of the other suggestions made by posters above for things to see and do are very good ones, and are not near or involved in the festival.

Archived