Do you bring your good jewelry?

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

In my situation I have this new champaign diamond ring I bought that I absolutely ADORE and wear every day. I'd hate to be without it, but I am thinking about leaving it at home when I cruise because it would kill me if it was lost. I wouldn't wear it in water but I would leave it locked up in the safe. What do you ladies do?

I take my good jewelry with me--carry it on the plane, lock it in the cabin's safe when I'm not wearing it. I always wear my wedding and engagement rings.

If I'm concerned about getting robbed in a port, I'll wear modest, inexpensive silver jewelry that day--figuring that a thief won't want it, and I won't be heartbroken if I lose it.

I wore my every day stuff on the plane and on the ship, carried on my other jewelry. Wore my dressier nicer things for dinner and shows, took it all off and wore only a plain gold wedding band in each and every port, locking everything else up in the safe while we were gone. I figured I wanted to haggle my fanny off and might feel bad haggling with gold and diamonds on!

Why bother to have good jewelry if you cannot wear and enjoy it??????

I'd not wear it, or even costume jewelry in port off the ship. Why invite trouble, I'd be just as traumatized being mugged for junk as I would the good stuff :eek: . Heck, I don't even feel safe near home flashing expensive jewelry, so I'm careful when I do wear it.

I suppose if there were an inherited piece that was treasured beyond belief with a lot of sentimental value, then that I would leave at home. We have a rider on our insurance policy to cover jewelry, most of it can be replaced.

The last cruise we were on a few months ago , it was really something. There were so many ladies on the ship with so many diamonds on it was like a jewelery show. I take a few nice pieces with me, and only use small silver pieces on shore. But some of these ladies WOW, I was dazzeled. I have been on quite a few cruises , but have never seen anything quite like this display of jewelery

Cori

In MHO, I do love my jewelery. I have some pricey peices that were given to me by my H as gifts. I also have a jewelery rider on my insurance. I wear this stuff every day. I will not consider taking it on a cruise, I have lots of sparkly costume jewlery that I have paid almost nothing for, and people, mostly women, think that it is the real deal. :D

I went on a cruise with a lady that had a gold bracelet valued at over $4000.00, she lost it.:eek: That ship was turned inside out looking for it for days, she was devastated. Insurance or not, I don't consider it worth the worry, of lossing something so precious to me. So, the good stuff stays home, I have loads of the fake, and that I will take!

Works for me.;)

My 'good' jewelry is stuff that I consider everyday jewelry. Nothing too flashy and doesn't stand out. My most expensive pieces are ones that I can wear anywhere and anytime.

Now...the flashy sparkly things that I wear are costume pieces.....look very real, but the prices are really easy on the wallet...and if I happen to lose it, I am not devistated. I wear these items so infrequently, that it doesn't matter.

If you love your pieces, wear them. If your afraid of losing them, keep them at home.

I'd rather mine was with me and locked in the safe than left unattended at home.

My sister did this recently - she decided that one piece of jewellery was too precious to take on holiday (our late Mother's wedding ring) so left it in her jewellery box at home. Whilst away her home was broken into and the ring, amongst other things, was stolen. :mad:

I don't have a lot of really expensive jewelry, but I don't have a problem taking some of it with me. I don't wear any jewelry into ports (even wedding ring), so they get locked up in the safe. Anything "good", including heirloom, that I don't take with me takes a vacation in the safety deposit box! And any jewelry, costume or real, is always in my carry-on and never in checked luggage.

Just to add my opinion -- I was on the Diamond princess 2/1 - 2/16 and ended up being a Survivor finalist. Our challenge took place in the pool. (Guess where this is going?) About 5 minutes after leaving the pool area I looked at my wedding ring and the emerald was gone! Do I think you should bring your good jewelry? Probably not. Yes, it was my own stupidity and I blame no one but myself. But, things do happen and now I don't have my emerald anymore. If you are smarter than I am, just remember to carry your good jewelry in your carryon, take off your jewelry at the pool (!) and use your room safe. It is fun to wear your good stuff, but it's sad when it's gone.

Susan

Just to add my opinion -- I was on the Diamond princess 2/1 - 2/16 and ended up being a Survivor finalist. Our challenge took place in the pool. (Guess where this is going?) About 5 minutes after leaving the pool area I looked at my wedding ring and the emerald was gone! Do I think you should bring your good jewelry? Probably not. Yes, it was my own stupidity and I blame no one but myself. But, things do happen and now I don't have my emerald anymore. If you are smarter than I am, just remember to carry your good jewelry in your carryon, take off your jewelry at the pool (!) and use your room safe. It is fun to wear your good stuff, but it's sad when it's gone.

Susan

I don't think you should beat yourself up about that. It sounds as if it would have fallen out somewhere, just happened to be in a pool on vacation. It could just as easily have fallen out while you in the mall, no? It's a good reminder to have the settings checked periodically.

I wear the good jewelry everyday. When we cruise I wear just a gold band and small earrings into port but use many pieces onboard during the week. Don't really worry about losing it, its all insured and I have stones checked every year. I waited to long for beautiful jewelry from my DH and wouldn't want jewelry if I wasn't going to wear it on a daily basis.

I never leave home without my wedding rings and 3 stone anniversary rings - where them in the pool and ocean and clean them when I get back to my room. I also where an expensive Tag Heuer watch in the water since it is waterproof. Why have it if I have to leave it home?

I'd rather mine was with me and locked in the safe than left unattended at home.

My sister did this recently - she decided that one piece of jewellery was too precious to take on holiday (our late Mother's wedding ring) so left it in her jewellery box at home. Whilst away her home was broken into and the ring, amongst other things, was stolen. :mad:

I cant imagine leaving a cherished heirloom sitting in a jewelry box at home when going away on a trip. Though we've never had a robbery in our building, I put my good pieces in my bank safe deposit box when I travel. That is; the ones that aren't tràvelling with me. And yes; I too take my good jewelry on cruises.

I'm writing from Paris right now and I've brought my diamond ring that I'm wearing daily, my expensive watch; gold bracelet, etc.

Hey, if you've got it, glam it up! How many occasions are there to wear the good stuff? Just be extra careful --On one cruise I left my good jewelry locked in the safe when not being worn, but then I dropped a diamond earring down the sink! The good news is, a staff member came and retrieved it with no difficulty at all. Whew!

I have not been on a cruise yet but we do travel a lot....I'm a jewelry freak(was a jewelry manager for many years so got great deals on lots of pretty sparkling pieces:D ) so I cant leave home without taking at least some of them..I wear my rings all the time..the only time I take them off is to clean them. I will definitely take jewelry on my cruise but I will make sure to lock it up in a safe plus not wear anything to flashy at the ports.

Do not want to bring unnecessary trouble to myself or family:eek:

I would not travel with sentimental pieces. That is just not wise to me. However, I would take along my "nicer" pieces. I would take them to a jeweler and ask him to examine them making sure the stones were not loose and the clasp are working properly. I learned this after a friend's 10ct. diamond bracelete came loose on the plane. Thank goodness for her her companion seen it on the floor. Her clasp was broken. I have several diamonique pieces from QVC that look real and like something I could afford. That works too.

I have a dear friend who has been dripping in the most beautful diamond jewelry since I have met her. I always would compliment her pendants earings rings etc. She always would say Thank you! Bob (her DH) got that for my 40th anniversary or Bob let me design that for a birthday everything was breathtaking AND Sentimental. Last year she came back from wintering in FL with her 3Ct ring and pair of studs Thats it. That was what she was wearing when her home was broken into. They lost any estimated $150,000 in Jewelry and the insurance gave her 5,ooo because she stopped itemizing. What brought a tear to her eye was a lost small emerald ring she was saving for a granddaughters 13th birthday. I told my hubby get me dimonique from now on!

I don't wear a lot of jewelry, but what I do has sentimental value. I always wear my engagement ring, wedding ring and my 25th anniv. diamond ring. However, last month two days before we left on our cruise I had my rings cleaned and checked at the jeweler and found out that my anniv. channel set diamonds were all loose and could fall out anytime. :eek: I left the ring for repair, but my finger felt weird. Fortunately, the settings were loose, not damaged. I almost skipped the trip to the jeweler, but a little voice in my head kept reminding me to go. Probably my mom up in heaven waving her magic wand at me again. :D

On my right hand I wear a "Mother's Ring" with the birthstones of my 5 children. I never wear my rings in a swimming pool because the chlorine breaks down the settings.

I love wearing my special pendants on formal nights. I have a diamond one that was my mom's, a diamond and emerald one DH surprised me with on Valentine's Day '04 in St. Thomas. We bought it at a store in Havensite. In June '06 I bought an emerald (my birthstone) set in a Celtic knot on a silver chain in Edinborough, again on a cruise. I carry the jewelry in my carry-on and keep it in the safe when not wearing it.

Archived