Who has used US Direct with Princess in Vancouver?

Sierra Fox

I tried posting this on the Alaska board but haven't received much of a response. I'm trying to make a decision on airline tickets and need some information about how US Direct works.

I've called Princess to enquire about the US Direct program for passengers disembarking in Vancouver and both times the customer service reps didn't know anything about it. I know Princess is a participating cruise line and United is a participating airline but I need to know if it's possible to make an 11:00 am flight if we use US Direct. What time can we expect to get to the airport?

Also, do I need to book the air through Princess or just the transfer from the ship to the airport? The YVR website gives a brief explanation of how it works but says to contact the cruise line for more details, which weren't available from Princess. :confused: - SF

I tried posting this on the Alaska board but haven't received much of a response. I'm trying to make a decision on airline tickets and need some information about how US Direct works.

I've called Princess to enquire about the US Direct program for passengers disembarking in Vancouver and both times the customer service reps didn't know anything about it. I know Princess is a participating cruise line and United is a participating airline but I need to know if it's possible to make an 11:00 am flight if we use US Direct. What time can we expect to get to the airport?

Also, do I need to book the air through Princess or just the transfer from the ship to the airport? The YVR website gives a brief explanation of how it works but says to contact the cruise line for more details, which weren't available from Princess. :confused: - SF

Phone Princess again...If that person does not know the answer ask to speak to Customer Relations.Or ask that person would they mind calling Customer Relations to see if they have any details about this program.I live in vancouver and I know that oothers on this site have used that service.

This program is clearly detailed on the Vancouver Airport (YVR) website:

http://www.yvr.ca/guide/around/onboard/index.asp

Yes, I saw this website but was unable to determine how to sign up for the program. At the bottom of the page it says to contact the cruise line for more details, which is where I ran into the problem.

I guess I'll spend the morning on the phone with Princess and just keep it up until I can finally talk to someone who knows something about it. - SF

We used it last summer. Absolutely the best way to go! We were impressed with the Vancouver airport arrival from ship in 2006 and stayed over a few days and then went to airport and through customs again and did it very early in the morning and had no problem.

But last year we went straight from ship to bus to airport, in back door and to our gate. The slickest thing I've seen in quite a while. Definitely worth the bucks. What I don't remember is whether I let the TA handle it with Princess or whether it was something we added in the cruise personalizer or whether it was something we arranged after we got on board. However the method, it's really a must do. Once you set your bags out the last night of cruise, you'll not touch them again until you retrieve them from your home airport!

We used it last summer. Absolutely the best way to go! We were impressed with the Vancouver airport arrival from ship in 2006 and stayed over a few days and then went to airport and through customs again and did it very early in the morning and had no problem.

But last year we went straight from ship to bus to airport' date=' in back door and to our gate. The slickest thing I've seen in quite a while. Definitely worth the bucks. What I don't remember is whether I let the TA handle it with Princess or whether it was something we added in the cruise personalizer or whether it was something we arranged after we got on board. However the method, it's really a must do. Once you set your bags out the last night of cruise, you'll not touch them again until you retrieve them from your home airport![/quote']

Thank you Cruisin' Granny! My TA called Princess this morning and it seems that I need to be signed up for the transfer through the ship and then I arrange for US Direct once onboard. I'm glad to hear it worked out so well for you. It's nice to hear from someone who actually did it. Have a great day! - SF

I am not sure exactly how the "US Direct" program works but I seem to recall reading on another board 'Golden Princess 05/03/2008 L.A. to Vancouver' that the earliest departure from YVR that Princess would deal with would be 12:00 noon. Now you can still make it if that is the case but remember YVR is a solid 45 min cab or shuttle from the cruise terminal and you are supposed to be at the airport 2 hrs prior to an international flight .... so you really need to be the first off the ship, grab your bags or walk off with them, clear CDN customs and go directly to your cab or shuttle by 8:30 at the latest. You will clear US customs at YVR. If that is going to cause you a lot of anxiety, maybe you should review your flight time or at the very least have some further dialogue with Princess.

We used US Direct on our cruise to Alaska in August. We were given forms to fill out a few days before disembarcation. We then were given boarding passes and luggage tags the day before we arrived in Vancouver. We put our bags out the night before disembarking and didn't see them again until we arrived home in RI. The service is great and well worth the $15 we paid for it. You did not have to book your air through Princess. We did have the transfer. If I remember correctly,this service is only good for flights leaving after 12:30 pm. It was wonderful and getting through customs in Vancouver was a breeze. JUst make sure your airline participates in the program. Most do although I know Southwest doesn't,

Hope this info helps.

Jan

Archived