I'm Sticking With HAL!!!

venicecruiser

We just got off of the X Century and the food was average at best. I still will recommend this short cruise because HAL does not offer that product and X is a really good value for 4 and 5 night cruises. The food on HAL is overall better in our opinion (DH is a Chef), but Celebrity overall had better food presentation and better salads and variations of salad dressings. One thing that X did better was the music played throughout the ship which you don't see as much on HAL (although I have not been on HAL in the Carribean). Someone who likes music and dancing may be disappointed in this aspect of HAL. Our last HAL cruise (and next) was port intensive Med and by the time we had dinner, went to the show, went to whatever Dessert Extravaganza or late night buffet we weren't interested in a party as we planned to be up by 6:00am. Just a heads up.

I do not know what cabin type you booked but on HAL you can be in an inside and get Elemis bath products (X was generic even in CC class) including shampoo, conditioner, moisterizer, sharp shower gel (my favoritte), shower cap, soap, bath soap, facial soap...fruit basket, free shoe shine, same menu as everyone else, tote bag (better than the one x gives everyone).

Best of all is a great bed (HAL has X beat), tub in most inside cabins. You don't need to be "Select" (on your 6th cruise) or "Elite" (over 10) to go to the Galley Tour, High Tea "Dutch Tea" and you don't need a special disembarkation lounge as you can stay in you cabin until you are called. Btw, if you have you own plans HAL asks you what time you want to disembark such as 7:00-7:30, 7:70-8:00 and so on. HAL has the stuff all you can laundry in a bag (currently $12.00 on North America and $20.00 in europe) available to all guests whereas X makes it a perk price at $20.00 for past passengers.

I agree that HAL exceeds X in all of the areas you pointed out.

Our food on Century ranged from wonderful (Aqua Spa Cafe and Murano) to bad (main dining room). Fish dishes were particularly awful, salads boring and soups tasteless. It was the worst of any X cruise IME.

I really enjoy HAL's food, esp. fish dishes. And I prefer the Asian influence versus the high fat approach X takes to everything except in the AS.

Beds, amenities, cabin size, flowers, bathroom sizes, service, ship maintenance are all in HALs favor compared to X. JMO but I much prefer the overall HAL product to X.

I suspect you mis-typed here. HAL has tubs in most outside cabins, but the insides are showers only. Large showers, to be sure, but showers none the less.

My mistake. I had a tub a couple of years ago in an Outside cabin. I did think the Vista class had mostlly tubs but I guess not.

I agree that HAL exceeds X in all of the areas you pointed out.

Our food on Century ranged from wonderful (Aqua Spa Cafe and Murano) to bad (main dining room). Fish dishes were particularly awful, salads boring and soups tasteless. It was the worst of any X cruise IME.

I really enjoy HAL's food, esp. fish dishes. And I prefer the Asian influence versus the high fat approach X takes to everything except in the AS.

Beds, amenities, cabin size, flowers, bathroom sizes, service, ship maintenance are all in HALs favor compared to X. JMO but I much prefer the overall HAL product to X.

Which date were you on Century? I did not got to Muranos but best food was soup at the Aqua Spa Cafe. Their plate presentations were wonderful. The soup in the dining room was not edible with the exception of one gazspacho.

We prefer HAL too. We have two HAL cruises this year but HAL does not have 4 and 5 nights in the Carribean. Besides on X I got my DD and her friend in an inside stateroom for about $300.00pp.

I am really disappointed to read about the AYW dining. I am traveling solo (with my 7 year old) and was looking forward to having the same tablemates each night. I guess I'll just get a table for 2.

Rebecca, not all of HAL's ships have gone to AYW yet; we are travelling on Amsterdam in April and will have assigned seating. I've never gone on a cruise with AYW dining, but personally, I don't think I would like it, at least not if it was just DH and I travelling together (I could see how it would work well for a large group).

Archived