OK, last Holiday cabin question, I promise....

DarthGrady

I am ready to book! I just have to decide between the following options. I can choose my 1A room, or do a guarantee and maybe get an upgrade.

The problem is this: The two cabins I have whittled it down to are U217 (Cat 1A aft with a window) or M6 (Cat. 1A forward with portholes). I have been told that the aft cabins have a lot of vibration, but it has the big window. I need some guidance. Does anyone have experience with these rooms?

Also, since it may be just me going, I think it would be better to have a 1A with a window/porthole then be "upgraded" to an interior 4a room.

Any help would be appreciated.

As far as the vibration they are talking about, it lasts about 20 minutes or so pulling into and out of ports, not all the time, its the thrusters.

I would rather have a window on a lower deck than a higher inside cabin, but thats me. I seem to be in a minority that I like to see out and know if the sun is up or see the ocean.

Id take U217, with the aft view. People pay extra money for balconies to see the wake, lol

M6 is one deck lower, and on the port side so you are likely to hear the anchor chain when it comes down. Either way you will hear some noise coming into port, Id rather have the big window one deck higher.

As far as the vibration they are talking about, it lasts about 20 minutes or so pulling into and out of ports, not all the time, its the thrusters.

That might not be completely correct. When I was on the Holiday the vibration was constant is was so bad that it caused us issues sleeping. They might have fixed the problems since then but I have to say I wouldn't take the chance.

That might not be completely correct. When I was on the Holiday the vibration was constant is was so bad that it caused us issues sleeping. They might have fixed the problems since then but I have to say I wouldn't take the chance.

Yea, I guess I did hear the Holiday might have some vibration issues. sorry. 3 decks up I was thinking they wouldnt be so bad, but you are probably right.

Thank you all for your input. I think I am going to chance it and book the aft window room, and hope for the best.

If it is bad, I will try to look on the bright side: It will be like a free all night back massage, sort of a cruise ship "Magic Fingers".

I've heard people say that the vibration was soft and that it's somewhat enjoyable. That wasn't my experience at all. In my cabin it was so loud at times that we couldn't even talk without yelling. It was far from enjoyable. I was in cabin M177 I believe. It was towards the very back of the ship. I just booked an IS Guarantee on the Holiday. I pray that I don't end up back there again. If so, I will have to ask to switch cabins. We were kept awake several nights due to the vibration last time.

I've heard people say that the vibration was soft and that it's somewhat enjoyable. That wasn't my experience at all. In my cabin it was so loud at times that we couldn't even talk without yelling. It was far from enjoyable. I was in cabin M177 I believe. It was towards the very back of the ship. I just booked an IS Guarantee on the Holiday. I pray that I don't end up back there again. If so, I will have to ask to switch cabins. We were kept awake several nights due to the vibration last time.

ok, now Im back to square one again.......

M-6! :) Been there, done that, have the pictures and would do it again in a heartbeat!

The cabin is near the front of the ship....but I never felt much, IF ANY, motion of the ship. The area typically was quiet, you may hear some noise from the anchors--but I don't really recall it being all that bad....so

it must not have been a problem. Being as far forward as you are, there is not a lot of traffic in the hallway. Laundry room is down the hall, close enough for convnenience but far enough away that it does not affect this cabin with traffic or noise.

The thing to remember that the beds in this room are one twin and a pull down above it. They can not be configured into a queen by putting them together. I loved the room---but I was travelling alone. For me, it was more than adequate space, the portholes have heavy curtains that allow for blocking of light if you wish, but they are also large enough to provide a good view of the water if you wish.

I would definately want this same room should I have the opportunity to

sail on the Holiday again! :D

M-6! :) Been there, done that, have the pictures and would do it again in a heartbeat!

The cabin is near the front of the ship....but I never felt much, IF ANY, motion of the ship. The area typically was quiet, you may hear some noise from the anchors--but I don't really recall it being all that bad....so

it must not have been a problem. Being as far forward as you are, there is not a lot of traffic in the hallway. Laundry room is down the hall, close enough for convnenience but far enough away that it does not affect this cabin with traffic or noise.

The thing to remember that the beds in this room are one twin and a pull down above it. They can not be configured into a queen by putting them together. I loved the room---but I was travelling alone. For me, it was more than adequate space, the portholes have heavy curtains that allow for blocking of light if you wish, but they are also large enough to provide a good view of the water if you wish.

I have been doing a little research and it looks like the last time she was dry docked was in early 2006. That was before Volzcruiser and JoshGrrr went on her, so maybe they haven't fixed the problem. It does't appear she will have another drydock this year or 2009, so maybe I will go with the M5 or M6. I don't have to call the TA until Thursday, so I will wait and see if anyone else has any input.

Also, does anybody have any pics of her interior/exterior or the cat. 1A cabins to share.

Actually, I sailed on the Holiday before the drydock. The 2008 date is cruise I just booked.

I've read all I could about the drydocking. I've yet to read anything that would lead me to think that they fixed the vibrations. I believe I've read some recent reviews that mentioned it as well. From what I understand it's only bad if you book a room towards the back of the ship on one of the lower decks.

I just got off the Holiday February 2nd and was in M-5 I have been on the Holiday 8 times in the last few years. Every cruise, I have always had to go to the back of the ship every day because this is where kids camp is located and my daughter LOVES kids camp. That being said, I have felt and heard the vibration on 3 to 4 of my eight cruises but only because I had to go to the back of the ship to retrieve my daughter. I have always booked the front of the ship and you can't feel or hear the vibration in the front. Except for normal vibration of the ship that will lull you to sleep :) Also once I was at the Pursers desk and an elderly lady was there complaining that the noise and vibration was so bad that she and her husband couldn't sleep. I personally heard the pursor tell the lady the ship was completely booked and they could not move her. I'm not exactly sure what causes the vibration and noise because it is not always constant and it not just when pulling into or leaving port. For instance one night I took my little girl to kids camp around 7:00pm and went back at 10:00pm to get her. There was no loud noise or vibration at 7:00 but it was there at 10:00 The next day when I took her to play again it wasn't doing it anymore. Like I said, it isn't constant but when it is there it is BAD. I would highly recommend not taking a chance and booking a cabin back there. Kids camp is on the Empress deck which is floor 7 when using the elevator so just because it is higher up doesn't mean those people were immune to the problem. I think you will be completely happy with a porthole 1a cabin in the forward part of the ship. Plus you enter onto the ship on the main deck so if you book a cabin on main deck you don't have to lug any carryon luggage on the elevators or stairs when going to your cabin. Also if you decide to self disembark (carry all your luggage off by yourself) then being on the main deck is very conveinent. Hope this helps. Below is a picture of the porthole in cabin M5

m5porthole.jpg

I have been doing a little research and it looks like the last time she was dry docked was in early 2006. That was before Volzcruiser and JoshGrrr went on her, so maybe they haven't fixed the problem. It does't appear she will have another drydock this year or 2009, so maybe I will go with the M5 or M6. I don't have to call the TA until Thursday, so I will wait and see if anyone else has any input.

Also, does anybody have any pics of her interior/exterior or the cat. 1A cabins to share.

If you absolutely, positively have to have a window or porthole, then I'd go with M5 or 6. When we were on her in September, our friends were in a cabin in the aft part of the ship and had serious vibrations...enough to keep them awake one night.

BUT...unless you really require a window, I'd go for an interior cabin...there's just not much to see out there in the Gulf AND we found the windows on the Holiday to be less than ideal for water views anyway. We did a window on our first cruise on the Holiday but our last cruise was an interior as will be our next cruise on her. I'm the first to book a balcony when there's something to look at but find it's somewhat a waste on an itinerary like the one the Holiday cruises. That's just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the good pictures! You are a regular Holiday expert after all those cruises on her!

I went ahead and booked M6. All the vibration talk got to me. I figure, like cookingchick said, there isn't a huge need for a window in the gulf. I just want some type of outside view since the price is the same for interior or OV. Might as well get the most for my $$$.

Thank you all for your insight, I'm sure it will be a blast. I am excited about Holiday since I have only been on Fantasy and Conquest class ships.

:D :eek: :D I'm laughing out loud at myself--it's nighttime and I'm sitting in the dark watching America Idol and reading CC on my laptop when all of a sudden I see and gnat on my screen and I'm trying to kill it. :D when I realize it's your avatar. How funny! I love it.

DARTHGRADY you made a wise choice picking m6 i just got off the holiday this past saturday and i had room M6 nice little room and the room steward was great .the vibration at the back of the ship can be felt up to the lido deck .the first day out we ran into a storm in the middle of the night we 10 to 15' swells and it wasnt that bad there was some niose from the waves crashing into the side of the ship and i did hear the anchor once or twice crash into the side of the ship but no big deal to me . a little noise and some anchor banging for a day is better then five days of vibrations from a bent prop .i hope you have calm sea's and you will have the perfect room

Archived