Dress Code for Casual Dining?

scubarn1

Starting to pack for my Down Under cruise on the Mercury. Just wondering what the dress code is for casual dining. Can my husband wear Bermuda shorts and a nice polo shirt?

Thanks, Karen

No shorts, sorry. :-(

A gentleman's choice for casual nights includes a sport shirt and slacks, while women will be comfortable in a pants suit, skirt and blouse, or casual dress.

On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and slacks, No jeans, while women may want to wear a suit or dress.

For the formal nights, including the Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, dinner on the second night, and the Captain's Farewell Dinner held the next-to-last night of the cruise; both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men.

No shorts, sorry. :-(

A gentleman's choice for casual nights includes a sport shirt and slacks, while women will be comfortable in a pants suit, skirt and blouse, or casual dress.

On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and slacks, No jeans, while women may want to wear a suit or dress.

For the formal nights, including the Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, dinner on the second night, and the Captain's Farewell Dinner held the next-to-last night of the cruise; both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men.

I don't know if she is talking about casual nights or the casual dining area where you can wear shorts...

Sorry, let me try to clarify. The dress code for the casual dining area of the ship(where a reservation is needed and a $2.00 fee applies).

Thanks, Karen

Awwwwwwwwww, I posted for the main dining room. You're ok in the casual area. I have a feeling we'll be hanging out there a bunch ourselves. Enjoy your trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Celebrity requests that no jeans are worn for dinner on any night, but there are always the few who will thumb their noses at the dress code and wear them anyway. Depending on the asst. maitre'd at the particular door you enter, you may get in or you may not.

I believe that the dress code on the first night is pretty loose. I have seen bluejeans. I think this is because some people have not gotten luggage yet.

I have seen people in shorts turned away and was very happy about it, and thanked the asst. maitre'd. I have not seen bluejeans on a X cruise any night other than the first night.

On our last trip, we saw a lot of people in jeans in the dining room (not on formal nights, but on all others). I even wore them on the last night, as we had late seating and would not have been able to get our luggage out on time, otherwise (they wanted it out by 11PM, and many nights we just got to dessert by then!) I wasn't trying to thumb my nose...just being practical for a flight home.

On our last trip, we saw a lot of people in jeans in the dining room (not on formal nights, but on all others). I even wore them on the last night, as we had late seating and would not have been able to get our luggage out on time, otherwise (they wanted it out by 11PM, and many nights we just got to dessert by then!) I wasn't trying to thumb my nose...just being practical for a flight home.

OK, flame away, but......I consider carrying my last night's clothes home in my carryon part of cruising. Yes, I dress for dinner and put fresh clothes on in the morning for the trip home....whether driving a few hours or flying a few. Call me crazy...........

OK, flame away, but......I consider carrying my last night's clothes home in my carryon part of cruising. Yes, I dress for dinner and put fresh clothes on in the morning for the trip home....whether driving a few hours or flying a few. Call me crazy...........

So I guess you don't wear jeans?:)

Many experienced cruisers do exactly what you suggest, mostly for the trip to the cruise but often both ways.

We just got off the Summit 2/2-2/9 there nights I witnessed a travel agent walk into the dining room in shorts and a Hawaiian Shirt...so you tell me who is the fashion police on board.

Formal nights were more sports coats and ties then tuxs, I really think it depends on the cruise...

I also saw jeans in the dining room...yes sorry to say. But I think this whole dress code thing is not overly enforced, and I'd like to see it go to an all resort casual dress, then we would have less to complain about.

Thrown me under the bus, but you just can't expect people who dine in the sushi bar or alterative dining to re-dress for the evening, and they are not going to stay in their cabin.

Steve

I agree, Steve. Even the diehards can't give me a straight answer about this.

Kathie44 - :) I guess I'm a "diehard" (just call me Mr. Willis! ;)), and I CAN give you a straight answer. X is NOT consistent with dress code enforcement!:rolleyes: I know it drives many people nuts! It kind of leaves many pax unsure of the requirements. Like the OP!

All I know for sure is that I'm jealous because the OP is going on a cruise "Down Under" and I'm not. Oh, I also know that you CAN wear shorts to the alternative casual dining venue.:)

Happy cruising!

Denise

I agree, Steve. Even the diehards can't give me a straight answer about this.

Here is your answer and what someone wears does not bother me in the least. Years ago those who ate casual would be expected to get dressed to go to certain venues as they would not be allowed in without the proper dress. Generally these included the Theater and certain lounges. If you were walking around no one would tell you to go back to your room and change.

Now, Celebrity appears not interested in enforcing their own regulations in many areas, dress being one of those, so those who go for sushi, casual dining, etc. will generally not have a problem.

Here is your answer and what someone wears does not bother me in the least. Years ago those who ate casual would be expected to get dressed to go to certain venues as they would not be allowed in without the proper dress. Generally these included the Theater and certain lounges. If you were walking around no one would tell you to go back to your room and change.

Now, Celebrity appears not interested in enforcing their own regulations in many areas, dress being one of those, so those who go for sushi, casual dining, etc. will generally not have a problem.

That sounds like really good news.

Thanks.

Archived