Another 2/10/08 Voyager OTS Review (Long)

wsantelope

This may take a few days to complete....maybe not....we'll see how far I get!

SATURDAY

We left the Dallas area on Saturday, the day before the cruise as I feel that even with only a 5 hour drive too much can happen on the way to the cruise terminal and we turned out to be right!

After leaving the house at 9am we didn't arrive Galveston until 8:30pm. :eek:

As it turned out we discovered upon airing up my tires on my 2003 Subaru Outback that they all needed to be replaced at 9:30 am on Saturday morning - yeah right! Fortunately Discount Tire saved my bacon and had us back on the road in 40 minutes. Yep. You read that right! Whoooohooooo!

More car trouble along the way....I'll spare the details....several stops with kids and seniors and then late enough for dinner.....

Pulled into the LaQuinta Inn and Suites Galveston at 8:30....fortunately we did confirm our room earlier in the day.....we did have some trouble with the other LaQuinta loosing a reservation for 2 other families in our party on a sold out weekend on the island for many hotels....because they didn't call or check in by 6pm. If we hadn't had their confirmation numbers they would have been dead in the water. The two hotels made it work between them. The "Inn and Suites" was a great hotel...newer and clean. Further from the terminal (Still only 10 minutes) on about 69th and Seawall. Front desk was a little rude (Kind of like prison wardens!) but we just overlooked it. It was really busy.

Those who stayed in the NON Inn and Suites hated their hotel....said it was older and mildewey - though much closer.

SUNDAY

Had a great free breakfast in the lobby....Waffles, Eggs, Bagels, Yogurt, Cereal, OJ etc.... buffet style with many other cruise passengers.

We paid $10 for the shuttle and $10 to park an extra car....parking was free....and we didn't use the shuttle going - The shuttle didn't start running until 11am and ended around 1pm and we wanted to be earlier than that so we self shuttled. We got dropped at the pier at 10:30 by DH but still didn't board the ship until 12:45 waiting for them to take the cars back and return by shuttle. Bad idea. In the future we'll all take a taxi over...take the free parking....skip the shuttle and we'll leave in the future by taxi at 10am. No going back and forth. Can't believe it took that long!

Boarding was a piece of cake....mom is handicapped so they walked us up the express lane to the x-ray....after we were through that we were at the check in counter 5 minutes and on our way to the ship. All the lines after the XRay were short .... the ones before the XRay huge....not sure what the deal was there.....

They "Bling-ed" us in and we were finally onboard! I was amazed how much the ship looked just like the pictures (Imagine that!)

We were lucky enough to book the Royal Suite on this sailing (Usually we're on deck 2 with a porthole!) and we walked straight to our room, happy to find all our luggage waiting for us in the hallway. The room was amazing....a player piano....electric lights, curtains, TV's, Entertainment centers....you name it we had it. Yes, this suite was bigger than our house. No joke.

Wet bar....dining room table...L-Shaped sofa....Circular bed....walk in closet...hot tub on the balcony (More like a glorified bathtub)....and the most amazing bathroom.....A seperate bathroom with a pedastal sink, medicine cabinet(s), toilet and bidet, and then next door the glass shower / steam room with THREE shower heads, whirlpool jacuzzi tub and twin vanities. If I could have cut off the main shower head and brought it home with me I would have! Best I've ever had!

We were in the suite about 15 minutes when our concierge (Gershwin) asked if he could "Present Himself" .... he wound up being the down-side of our cruise but I reviewed that elsewhere.....I'm choosing to stay more positive in this review.

We met Rudy K. our cabin steward who was actually the best we ever had onboard a ship and he took note of all our special requests for bedding and such and got everything right first try. His service was consistent throughout the cruise....he always went the extra mile....extra chocolates and towel animals on my sons bed....extra bedding for us.....definately kept up with the ice all week.....just a great guy! He needs a promotion!

We had a small sailaway party (Without sailing away as the port was closed due to fog) after the Muster Drill with the rest of our family onboard and then went off to the Magic Flute Dining Room on Deck 5 Aft.

Our Waiter was Hennery Sitohang from Indonesia....also the best I've ever had on a cruise ship....I can't even tell you everything he did.....Robin was his assistant and Carl the Head Waiter (He's been with RCCL forever!!!!). Please say hello from us if you run into any of them. They will remember our 5 year old Garrett more than us probably.....actually there were 17 of us they took care of all week. He was PERFECT! Always prompt...bought lots of extra things for us to try as a table....always had cheese plates brought to us or waiting for us when we got there and sent extra deserts to our room. We missed Lobster Bisque soup Monday night and he got the kitchen to make it from Scratch for me so I could have it on Wednesday. Can you feel the love ?!?! :D

Dinner was good though early ... as mentioned now it's 5:30 for the early seating...way too early....and the Welcome aboard show (A comedian) was short and a little too suggestive....we could have skipped that and not missed anything......

After a quick walk-about on the ship we all decided to call it a day and start fresh tommorow.

MONDAY (At Sea)

Woke up with the sun a little after 6:30 (EEEK!) and decided on breakfast at the Windjammer before Yoga. Yoga was very basic and the sequences were rushed (Taught by one of the physical trainers) .....I wouldn't spend your time or money here.

It was a very cold and windy day so the pool deck was out.....

We enrolled little Garrett in the 3-5 year old Adventure Ocean class and went off to explore the ship.....

We enrolled the kids in Adventure Dining for the evening as we decided to forgo the first formal night and show (Elvis Tribute) for Portofino's (This is where I missed the Lobster Bisque). Prior to dinner I checked out the Concierge Club gathering - moved up to Cloud 9 on Deck 14 due to the large # of Platinum and Diamond Guests....and had a few snacks....finger foods, chocolate dipped strawberries and the like. Met a nice couple in Real Estate (My profession) there from a small town outside of Houston....

Portofinos, contrary to some of what I read on this forum was incredible!!!! We're so glad we didn't miss it and we all swore we wouldn't eat again for weeks!

Pay the money and go - you'll be glad you did!

IMHO the food was far superior.

We ate soooo much that we had to leave and go straight to bed.

I got seasick for the first time this night between 12-4am in 14-16 foot seas. It didn't help that the ships horn blasted about every 2 minutes right over top of my room (And I'm a light sleeper).

The fog was thick and the rain horizontal. I felt like I was the "Night of the Living Dead" or something...walking the decks like a zombie trying to get any piece of fresh air. Found about a 1' x 1' portion of the covered deck I could sit in when it let up for a few minutes....I finally went up to the Viking Crown / High Notes. Saw about 5 people out and about. 2 maintenance and 3 drunk.

I didn't care....I honestly just wanted to jump overboard! I can't decide what made it worse - the sea or the Meclazine!

Nothing worse than being seasick with no fresh air and nothing you can do about it.

I finally went to sleep a little after 4am with the trash can by my bed.

I'll continue tommorow.....

Sorry guys...I crapped out in the middle! I've had the flu for the past 4 days - barely able to move. :o I'm still down but can type!

I prayed that I wouldn't get sick until AFTER the cruise! Careful what you pray for !!! :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention the CC Meet and Mingle on Monday @ 11am in the High Notes lounge.....It wasn't a good one....No mingling took place I only met a few people because I thought I recognized them from their online pictures....the cruise director's staff just thanked everyone for our online publicity and did a raffle for some cheezy prizes and then quickly got ready for a scrapbook workshop. I was a little late but I don't believe anyone on our thread was impressed....This was my first so I have nothing to judge it by. I have heard other's say that in the future they would grab the staff and let them know that we wanted time for introductions and mingling....notes for future reference.

Silly me...(That's what I get for writing late at night!) I also forgot that we attended the ice show on Monday at 3 pm. Our concierge did not come through with our tickets --- 17 people --- (We had asked for them a week earlier and re-confirmed onboard) Marcella @ Guest Relations (She is GREAT!) finally got them to us at 2:45 and by the time we got down there with our huge group there was barely any place to sit let alone a place to sit together....we sat where we could (We finally got an obstructed view seat behind a pole) and enjoyed the show.....It really was great! Tarot card theme...and special guest Vladimir who did a neat routine with a large metal ring on the ice. We could have used our VIP tickets for another performance but we never did get back around to it. I heard all of the shows had all their tickets given out so get your tickets early for this show if you want to see it!

TUESDAY - COZUMEL

This was a great day! I always wake up with the sunrise and the sun seems to rise early on cruises so I was up at 6:30 in the morning....We lazed around in the cabin for awhile --- I always like watching the "Ship's Channel" that showes the camera out the front and the weather --- don't ask me why!

We went out on the balcony about the time we were docking (Finally it's warm and humid!) and right behind us came another RCCL ship docking along side (On the port side - our side) ... I forget which ship....silly me...but it was much smaller. Radiance OTC maybe??? It was fun to see them pull in right next to us....we got a birds eye view of that ship and it was fun to waive across balconies at everyone. We even got to peek in some rooms! Today's forcast was for rain and scattered showers but the weather sure looked great this morning! A huge change from 12-4am!!!

We got ourselves together and went for breakfast at the Windjammer where I had some of my favorites...chesse and strawberry waffles with whipped cream. Garrett had Hot Chocolate (As well as the rest of the kids) and we had a nice time just having a slow breakfast.

We all met not long after at the gangway - Deck 1 - Aft and did the ritual picture taking once off the ship. It was a nice picture with the two ships right next to each other....we also posed as a group for the cruise photographer.

This port had been well-repaired since our last stop here in May of 2006 - post hurricane (It used to look like a bomb went off!) almost as if it had never been damaged...everything bright, shiney, new and GREEN!!! If you looked hard at the tops of the trees you could still see some barren areas but overall a huge improvement!

We strolled through the "Mercado" out to grab a taxi - a van full of us (11) to Paradise Beach for the day .... The lowest we could get the driver down to was $30 but I wouldn't budge....they weren't happy about it but hey....six of the passengers were small kids.

This was our first trip to Paradise Beach - I posted on the Cozumel forum.....

AWESOME beach for the day!

No charge for the chairs or umbrellas....$10 for wrist bands for unlimited beach activities (Water Trampolines, Ocean Kayaks, Snorkle Gear etc) and the best tortilla chips, guacamole and nachos! I can't wait to go back!

Everything was very reasonably priced....great fresh water showers and clean changing rooms

They also have 15 minutes of free internet that I forgot about and had I remembered I wouldn't have spent the $30 for the package onboard. The connection onboard was REALLY slow anyway - and no good email.

I didn't try the massage on the beach and had this stop been after formal night I would have had my hair braided so I didn't have to mess with it but the young girls did and they were soooo cute!

We headed back to the ship about 3:30 for a 5:00 (I think) departure and stopped at the Pharmacy enroute to the ship.....

Then it was RUSH RUSH to shower and change for the 5:30 dinner.

Dinner was good as usual and then we went off to the show.

Tonight was comedian Jeff Jena who everyone - not even the comic-inclined enjoyed....not only REALLY funny but surprisingly really clean - which we appreciated given all the kids along. It's hard to be really funny AND clean!

By the end of this show I was "Cooked" and retreated to the cabin for the night. Wednesday would be a big day!

WEDNESDAY (Roatan, Honduras)

This was the day I have been MOST looking forward to and pulling into port I was sure that I was going to not be dissapointed.....!

It was a beautiful shoreline and there were some amazing houses on our approach. It did not look very populated and everything looked very native - not all polished and commercial.

I think we ran through the Windjammer and ate quickly before disembarking on the island.

We had booked a private tour through Bodden Tours and lucked out in getting the owner himself (Victor) as our personal guide for our large group! It was amazing!!! He was amazing!!!

We had to walk out of the cruiseship terminal and had no trouble meeting Victor...we then had to walk a few blocks along a very busy street with no sidewalk and heavy traffic to where the van was parked.

We went to the Jungle Canopy zipline which was a true canopy tour in the actual jungle - an hour and a 1/2 of ziplining through the trees....all the kids were able to go (Ages 5-9) and all had a GREAT time!

It was very hot and humid and definately wear good walking shoes (No flip flops) if you do this!

After ziplining (Sightseeing along all our drives on the island) we went to Victor's house and paid $2 each to see his "Petting zoo" - Monkeys, deer (A new born fawn an hour old), an anteater etc..... We got to play with the monkeys and hold them for about 30 minutes and it was just neat! Victors house was humble but neat and clean and everything on this island (Except where they're developing) is so .... well just native. I think it's GREAT and really appreciated the opportunity to see this island.

After Victor's we went down to the picture - perfect West Bay Beach and dropped my two brother's off at a dive shop so they could do a two-tank dive...the rest of us ate lunch at Mavis and Dixies on the beach where Dixie herself waited on us. Great restaurant and great atmosphere - good and reasonable food ... service was a little slow and we didn't have the luxury of time we had packed so much into the day. Victor of course hung out and shot the breeze with us the whole time.

Several of the kids found a small Hermit Crab and had a blast playing with him during all the waiting.

While here we also changed into swimsuits to get ready for the second part of our adventure.

After we were done we went and dropped two in our party off to Horseback Ride on the beach...Victor had arranged for the guide to bring the horses down close to where we were and we wouldn't see them for a couple of hours.

We went on to the dive shop to get snorkel gear for all of us to do a quick snorkel trip above our divers.....the bummer is that the dive shop had almost no gear for anyone and what they did have was sub par. Word of advice: Bring your own gear!

Fortunately I had brought floaties along for my son and his own snorkel mask equipment. I borrowed my SIL's dive mask and snorkel (She forgot her swimsuit) and went w/o fins. We decided to go out anyway and Victor arranged a very cheap price for the dive boat to take us out to the reef.... so we went out and snorkeled for about an hour sans lifejackets and switching out equipment. Three of us adults were lifeguards and we wanted the kids to have the experience they were so looking forward to so we took our chances....we didn't stray too far from the dive boat and everyone got a few good peeks under the water. Mission accomplished though we know now for next time!

The cool thing is that Victor came with us to watch the 2 children of the mom that couldn't go (Pregnant and no swimsuit!) He even got wet on our account. This folks is the mark of a true Tour Guide! :D Did I mention his English is great too?

When we got back to shore it was time to head back to the ship.....the Honduras pier personell kept telling him the ship left at 5pm and he was very leary of getting us back at 5pm even after we showed him our Compass listing the 5:30 departure....We told him to trust us but it still made him nervous.....

Of course the ship didn't leave until 5:30....well it was after 5:30 as two people (Again) were missing from the ship until about 5:55pm when I heard a bunch of hooting and hollering off the balcony and I walked out to see two middle-aged people - looking entirely sober - at a dead run up the pavement to the gangway. Sure would have loved to hear that story!

Another rush to dinner.....and we were Off!

Dinner - Great (Again!)

The show tonight (I think!) was "Broadway Rythem and Rhyme" - a production show and it was very good....the part I was awake for. Yes, we were the ones asleep on the first row! :o Perhaps it would have been more productive to see the show early and sleep through dinner at the late seating! It would have been a lot easier on the waistline!

Guess what we did after the show?????

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

This was the day I have been MOST looking forward to and pulling into port I was sure that I was going to not be dissapointed.....!

It was a beautiful shoreline and there were some amazing houses on our approach. It did not look very populated and everything looked very native - not all polished and commercial.

I think we ran through the Windjammer and ate quickly before disembarking on the island.

We had booked a private tour through Bodden Tours and lucked out in getting the owner himself (Victor) as our personal guide for our large group! It was amazing!!! He was amazing!!!

We had to walk out of the cruiseship terminal and had no trouble meeting Victor...we then had to walk a few blocks along a very busy street with no sidewalk and heavy traffic to where the van was parked.

We went to the Jungle Canopy zipline which was a true canopy tour in the actual jungle - an hour and a 1/2 of ziplining through the trees....all the kids were able to go (Ages 5-9) and all had a GREAT time!

It was very hot and humid and definately wear good walking shoes (No flip flops) if you do this!

After ziplining (Sightseeing along all our drives on the island) we went to Victor's house and paid $2 each to see his "Petting zoo" - Monkeys, deer (A new born fawn an hour old), an anteater etc..... We got to play with the monkeys and hold them for about 30 minutes and it was just neat! Victors house was humble but neat and clean and everything on this island (Except where they're developing) is so .... well just native. I think it's GREAT and really appreciated the opportunity to see this island.

After Victor's we went down to the picture - perfect West Bay Beach and dropped my two brother's off at a dive shop so they could do a two-tank dive...the rest of us ate lunch at Mavis and Dixies on the beach where Dixie herself waited on us. Great restaurant and great atmosphere - good and reasonable food ... service was a little slow and we didn't have the luxury of time we had packed so much into the day. Victor of course hung out and shot the breeze with us the whole time.

Several of the kids found a small Hermit Crab and had a blast playing with him during all the waiting.

While here we also changed into swimsuits to get ready for the second part of our adventure.

After we were done we went and dropped two in our party off to Horseback Ride on the beach...Victor had arranged for the guide to bring the horses down close to where we were and we wouldn't see them for a couple of hours.

We went on to the dive shop to get snorkel gear for all of us to do a quick snorkel trip above our divers.....the bummer is that the dive shop had almost no gear for anyone and what they did have was sub par. Word of advice: Bring your own gear!

Fortunately I had brought floaties along for my son and his own snorkel mask equipment. I borrowed my SIL's dive mask and snorkel (She forgot her swimsuit) and went w/o fins. We decided to go out anyway and Victor arranged a very cheap price for the dive boat to take us out to the reef.... so we went out and snorkeled for about an hour sans lifejackets and switching out equipment. Three of us adults were lifeguards and we wanted the kids to have the experience they were so looking forward to so we took our chances....we didn't stray too far from the dive boat and everyone got a few good peeks under the water. Mission accomplished though we know now for next time!

The cool thing is that Victor came with us to watch the 2 children of the mom that couldn't go (Pregnant and no swimsuit!) He even got wet on our account. This folks is the mark of a true Tour Guide! :D Did I mention his English is great too?

When we got back to shore it was time to head back to the ship.....the Honduras pier personell kept telling him the ship left at 5pm and he was very leary of getting us back at 5pm even after we showed him our Compass listing the 5:30 departure....We told him to trust us but it still made him nervous.....

Of course the ship didn't leave until 5:30....well it was after 5:30 as two people (Again) were missing from the ship until about 5:55pm when I heard a bunch of hooting and hollering off the balcony and I walked out to see two middle-aged people - looking entirely sober - at a dead run up the pavement to the gangway. Sure would have loved to hear that story!

Dinner - Great (Again!)

The show tonight (I think!) was "Broadway Rythem and Rhyme" - a production show and it was very good....the part I was awake for. Yes, we were the ones asleep on the first row! :o Perhaps it would have been more productive to see the show early and sleep through dinner at the late seating! It would have been a lot easier on the waistline!

We picked up the horseback riders who said they had the $35 ride of their life - getting to trot and run and ride through beach, jungle and town.... and also had the diver's in tow who really enjoyed their dive time.

All agreed it was a great day and Victor Bodden was well worth the $25/pp. We tipped him really well!!!

Dinner - Great (Again!)

THURSDAY (At Sea - Second Formal Night)

Today was just going to be a relaxing day!

We had breakfast in the dining room for a change - which we love and Hennery our night waiter took care of us. Breakfast was good....I had Eggs Benedict and the eggs weren't even hard as a rock (They cook them hard on Carnival - at least on our one Carnival Cruise) - I call those "Carnival Eggs" - but the Hollandaise sauce seemed thin and didn't seem to have good flavor. They have great triangle - shaped crispy hashbrowns there - which I didn't realize until the second-to-the-last day....like they have in the Windjammer....I love those!

We took Garrett up to Adventure Ocean and decided to go our separate ways and meet at Johnny Rockets around noon for lunch.

Walter went off to hang out with his dad and explore the ship and I went off to do Tai Chi, which fortunately was better in theory than Yoga but super - super basic. If you've never done Tai Chi before go for it....if you have....save your $$$. After Tai Chi I climbed the (Not so) easy section of the Rock Wall and made it to the top only to be "Dropped" (ie: let down REAL fast) by the guy holding the rope who thought that was really funny! (Hmmmmm.....) He said I should have told him before I went up that I was afraid of heights!

After Tai Chi I went to shower and clean up in the Cabin before meeting everyone for lunch.

We met at Johnny Rockets to about a 30-45 minute wait so we hung out in line and took some pictures while enjoying the sunny but windy weather.

Once we got food it tasted really good but I couldn't hold that burger together for more than 30 seconds. I had to finish it with a fork! Yummy though and the shake was GREAT!!! We had Crown and Anchor coupons for the cover charge so it was nice we didn't have to pay that.

Walter took Garrett back to Adventure Ocean and went to take a nap in the cabin....I went to the pool deck to finally read a book.

After awhile I went to the cabin to shower and dress for the evening then off to the salon to get my hair put up for the night's festivities. It was going to be $65 which I think is hugely expensive but I'm horrible with hair and really wanted it up so I decided to suck-it-up and go for it. The gal who did my hair did not want to do it up ... she wanted it down regardless of my not -so-subtle suggestions....so she did it the way she wanted to and still looked better than I could do it so I lived with it. It was partially up and wound up only being $55 since I didn't want the fancy barrette that they offered for the additional $10.

Made a brief stop before meeting everyone for pictures and dinner in the Concierge Lounge.....Always good for a free soda and a few munchies.....

We went and did formal group pictures from 5-6pm before dinner and then went on for a great Valentines Dinner (Lobster tonight!) in the Dining room. We all exchanged Valentines and ate ourselves silly before going straightaway to the LaScala Theatre for the Show - Magicians "Laraf" tonight.

It's amazing...you pretty much have to be to the theatre at least 45 minutes before showtime every night to get any decent seat.

If you go for this magic show try to sit directly behind the "Box" in the middle of the floor on deck 3. A great illusion is done right in front of you there.

These guys were great and looked a lot like every guy I ever dated in the 80's. It was pretty funny!

I hear that if you sit up on deck 5 on the third level you can see how they do a lot of their tricks....I might try that sometime because they all baffle me!

We had three trays of Chocolate Dipped Strawberries in our room so I had each of my brother's stop by for a tray on the way to their cabin for the night....I heard they were a huge hit.

I sat in the hot tub on our balcony before showering and laying down for sweet dreams on my pillow.

FRIDAY (Progreso)

Pre-Ordered room service breakfast this morning as we were meeting on Deck 1 at 8am for a self-booked shore excursion with Yucatan Travel to Uxmal and Merida.

Had trouble finding our guide once we were in the cruise terminal....finally found him about 8:45 am and then had to wait another 30 minutes for him to get his "Paperwork cleared" or some such thing.

Nice air conditioned van and an hour 1/2 drive to Uxmal.

Once there we waited once again for "Paperwork clearance" and admission tickets" - about 30 minutes (A little frustrating) and then had a great several hours at Uxmal where we got up and personal with all the ruins there and wow were they magnificent! Not crowded and we got to climb many of them. Sure glad we made this choice.

We had lunch in the restaurant onsite ... a little rushed...if you eat here it's easier to get the "Package" lunch for $8 (Soup/Entree/Desert) ... it's good and winds up being less expensive.

We had a quick drive through Merida to see some of the impressive archetecture on the way back to the ship and did a little shopping before getting back onboard.

Again....another rush to get ready for dinner....finally made it to the dining room by 6pm.

Dinner was great.

Another Broadway - styled show tonight.....I only slept in the front row for 2 minutes this time (Can't say as much for the rest of our group!!!). It was very good also - Really! It was!

After the show I had some cookies from Cafe Promenade and then participated in the 70's Disco party followed by "The Quest" game....we had fun but our team was REALLY lame! (7/8ths of them just watched with their mouths open - thanks for the help guys!!! Then it was time to call it a night.....

SATURDAY (At Sea)

I can't believe this is the last day! This time tommorow we'll be docked in Galveston. Sigh.

Breakfast in the dining room again....Hennery took care of us again (Yeah Hennery!!! - Someone PLEASE give Hennery a hug (Or a kiss on the cheek from us (Shari/Walter/Garrett) if you see him!!!). Eggs Benedict again and it was wonderful again!

Garrett is off to Adventure Ocean again and we're off to the pool / cabin / nap respectively.

We all just spend the day wandering the pool deck and the promenade. It's getting cooler and I've decided I don't like cruising if it's not Hot.

I've been cold almost this whole trip and didn't pack enough jeans and not-warm clothes to combat this weather and the ship's A/C!

I really miss the Rhapsody and it's retractable roof in the Solarium that allows you to have pool time even when the weather isn't great.

It was cold and rainy on the way down and cold on the way back and I really like pool days at sea! It was warmer in the morning but I wanted to get packing out of the way (I'm like that) so I didn't have to worry about it the rest of the day. We had lunch somewhere (?!?!) and then I took Garrett to Adventure Beach to play a few hours on the slide and in the water. He had a great time!

We went and checked out all the pictures for the first time and grouped ours together...we'll add some from tonight to our stash later.

We changed into matching clothes for some fun portraits with our group and with the family and had those prior to dinner. We didn't have a line so that was great!

We went to dinner and tipped our servers and said our sad good-bye's. They sang again for us but I can't remember which songs. I just really hate to see this all come to an end.

We went straightaway again down to the LaScala for seats to tonights show Los Pampas Gaucho .... they are a fabulous act from Argentina....one of my favorites! We saw them our last cruise on the Rhapsody.

We tried to go up to High Notes to check out the Latin music but it was over 5 minutes after I got there....the RCCL Singers were going to do a jazz show....I checked out a little of that - and I haven't mentioned these guys are FABULOUS. I used to work in the music business and I've worked with a lot of talent. I can't figure out what these guys are doing on a cruise ship!

Waisted $10 on nickel slots in the casino and decided to go check out the pictures taken earlier.....

I spent way too much money in the Photo Gallery - those 8x10's really add up when you by 8+ @ $20 each. You know they really should have a "Buy 5 -get one free" or something like that.

Our group all spent a ton on photos but we'll swap and share and all that good stuff and 10 years from now we'll be glad we did.....

Back to set out the luggage.... :(

SUNDAY (Back in Galveston)

I woke up super early (5:30am) and stared at the wall wishing it wasn't going to end until about 6:10 when everyone else woke up. We turned on "Cruise TV" and watched our approach to Galveston. It was beautiful in the sunrise....we passed Carnival Conquest and went out to make our "Turn" before docking. We had requested to trade our expedited departure tags for the last tags called (Yellow) because we like to have a nice, leisurely breakfast before it all comes to an end..... We got ready and got the last of everything packed up and headed down before the dining room closed at 8:30. Breakfast was good but service wasn't great...they had a lot to do to get ready for the next batch of guests and unfortunately we were a little bit like yesterday's news although we did have time for last minute hugs for Hennery and Carl, our Head Waiter.

Garrett and Walter were thrilled to see dolphins jumping out of the water on the other side of the dining room.....

Some of us went back to the room to collect our luggage and we also got to peak in at some of the other suites....the Junior Suite and Owner's Suite (Really liked this one!) and then hung out at the Pig and Whistle for awhile just chatting and talking while waiting for them to call our colors.

Eventually we gave in to Cookies and Hot Chocolate from Cafe Promenade...

They called our color about 10:30 and we walked right off the ship.

We decided to try it without a Porter as the Porter line was pretty long and we were off and through customs in about 15 minutes.

We again waited for the shuttle and our cars to come back....took about an hour and 1/2.

I second my original position - Just get a cab.....Don't mess with shuttles!

If you do a shuttle....the shuttle we saw the most often was the Shuttle from the Port of Galveston parking lot.

We dropped my DB at IAH airport and finally arrived back home near Fort Worth at about 8:30pm.

MONDAY

Today is "Dizzy Day" !

I add this here for any other's who suffer this unfortunate phenomenan post cruise... I get a mild case of M.D.D. Syndrome (Mal De Debarkment) for 1-2 days post cruise once I've been off the ship for over 12 hours. It never happens on Port Days so it took me a few cruises to figure it out..... You can google this if you've never heard of it but basically your brainstem and inner ear don't adjust right to being back on land for a few days. What I've found helps tremendously is lots of water....sinus medication and Afrin nasal spray for a few days as well as STAYING UP!!! It is irritating and not comfortable but laying down just makes it worse. It lasted for about 4 days after my first cruise but following this advice gets rid of it within 24-36 hours. I think it can get anyone at any time. My DB's FIL got it for the first time and he's been on over 40 cruises. I was glad I could share this with him.

IN CONCLUSION:

This was a good cruise. We made a lot of fun memories and I can't think of another time that we will all be together as a family on a trip like this.

I don't like to cruise in the winter so in the future I'll stick to cruising April -October(ish). Also the crowd on this ship was much older than I prefer...I think once school is out the crowd would be quite a bit younger.

As mentioned....I didn't bring enough jeans / pants for dinner-times and wound up with too many pairs of shorts.

I wish I would have discovered Cafe Promenade earlier (The cookies!)

I wish I would have made a better effort to hear the Latin music!

I hate dinner at 5:30....if you have main seating you might give careful thought to changing to Late Dinner.

Suite amenities didn't seem to be on par with the hefty suite price.....I think you would enjoy a simple room with a balcony just as much....glad we tried it once but probably won't try it again.

Cabs instead of Shuttles and Oh, if you're a disabled Vet you can park Free at Port of Galveston parking - Google their website which also has a $5 off coupon for public parking.

Have fun on Voyager.....

Great ship! Great Shows! Usually great service!

Life could be worse!

A lot worse!

We were and are all blessed to have this opportunity! :D

Thanks for taking the trouble to do this very good review. I also have MDD after cruising, but quite enjoy it, as it makes me think I am still on the ship. :)

Was Captain Gerry still onboard? I don't remember you saying. Did he do his act? We enjoyed that very much. We were on the 1/13 sailing.

Glad you had a good cruise, I agree about Cafe Promenade. I loved the sandwiches there.

Thanks again.

Yes, Captain Gerry was still onboard...it was his last week sadly. :(

We did speak some with him....very approachable.

I didn't catch the show on country night....just flat couldn't stay awake.....I think that was the night after I was up all night (Tuesday). We did catch him in the Farewell show as the crew paid a great video tribute to him and he sang and played "God Bless Texas".

We are lucky to have sailed with him and "His Chinese Friend"!

I forgot to add that "Peekaboo Bridge" on deck 11 is a great way to do just that - peek at the bridge during business hours.

I also forgot to mention that the Adventure Ocean Talent show IMHO was not worth attending. We thought they would teach the kids a few song and dance numbers but it wound up being over an hour long with one kid playing the piano....one kid telling a knock knock joke....a few kids hula hooping.....etc. We all love our kids but truthfully it wasn't worth over an hour of our time. Very long and drug out....some of the kids didn't do anything. The kids would have much more fun at the pool~and so would you!!! :D

Archived