Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale then Port

thehabs24

Hello,

I am going on eastern caribbean cruise this november and the cruise is departing from Ft.Lauderdale. Prior to the cruise we are planning to staying a week in Orlando then perhaps flying to Ft. Lauderdale. Is that a good option or should be drive instead? Also, is the port far from the airport?

Thanks!

Depends on how much you feel your time is worth. I haven't made the drive from FLL to MCO in many years but I remember it being about 3 hours.

Personally, I have to drive 2 hours to get to a decent airport anyway. But if I have to have a rental car, take the rental car back then get to the port....not sure I'd want the hassle.

The port is fairly close to the airport...I think it takes about 10 min by taxi...

Well if you left Orlando at about 9:00 am you should be in Fort Lauderdale at about 12-1pm ready to board the ship. Rental car, gas and toll (if you took the turnpike), you are probably out $100.00. I dont know if they have a rental car return at the port or you will need to get shuttled over. If you fly, you'll have to deal with the airport, check luggage, cost of flight and shuttle to the port. It takes me about 3-3 1/2 hours to drive from ft laud to orlando, never flown to Orlando so I dont know how much of a hastle that could be. I would be more worried about missing the flight or waiting forever...lol..... Tough choice....

I would drive it.... I drive to Orlando a lot from Ft. Lauderdale (with 3 kids).It is not a bad drive. It's the kind of drive that, just when you've had enough of the driving, you look up and see the wonderful Ft. Lauderdale exit signs.

Think about it… you would have to arrive at the Orlando Airport 1 hour earlier if not sooner, then get on the plane, then take off, land, get your luggage, and then take a shuttle bus to the port of Miami which can take up to an hour (or plus) depending on how many stops the shuttle bus takes. If you are leaving the port of Ft. Lauderdale it is much closer. I honestly think it would take longer for you to fly here. Crazy but true!!

Just fly - much easier less hassle - I did this last October - 1 way flight from mco to fll was around $77 - left at 9:40 am - landed at 10:40 am and was at the port shortly after that!

If you are too nervous to fly out day of cruise - you could always leave night before - spend last night in FLL instead of orlando and then just get yourself to the port in the morning!

Good luck!

Froufie

I did the drive from Orlando (Disney World) to Miami for a cruise. (Avis, I believe. A mini van.) It took about 3 1/2 hours and cost about $120 altogether. (Car rental, gas and taxi to the port.) Avis did not provide a shuttle to the port and I had to get a taxi back to the port. That was cheap and fast. I will do the drive again in a heartbeat. It was pretty convienient.

We just did something similar back in October. We flew into Orlando took a cruise out of Port Canaveral returned on Sunday then drove to Fort Lauderdale to catch a second ship on the same day. The drive was not bad at all and most major car companies have a deal that you can get a free buss from the car return garage at Fort Lauderdale airport directly to the port. The only rental company that does not that I am aware of is Thrifty. I rent from Thrifty and they share the same return with Dollar so if you mention you need to get to the port they give you a Dollar return jacket to use to get on the buss. I would drive........

Thanks for all the great replies. The reason why I don't really like to drive is that its going to be a one way drive and flying is relatively cheap. I'm probably going to fly the night before anyways so I'm not rushed.

Once the ship comes back to port in Ft. Lauderdale we are going to just go right to the airport and fly home. We live in Canada :) so I don't know too much about that area.

Archived