Queen Victoria Question

Cruachan

True that. Never could hold my tongue when faced with such ill-formed opinions...interesting that it's most often the so-called "common folk" that perpetuate these stereotypes.

As long as you give me the chance to move up the economic class, I am more than happy to see folks getting extras when they pay more.

Now in the shared areas and services, we should all be treated as kings, so long as we are polite and dressed according to the code!:D

And, on Cunard, at any rate, nearly all areas are shared areas.

Jane

And, on Cunard, at any rate, nearly all areas are shared areas.

Jane

You know, we haven't had the fans of the other cruise lines over here making fun of us in ages. I am beginning to feel I'm losing my edge and getting too warm and fuzzy.......

There is a thread on the "P&O" Australia board called "Get away- Queen Vic" and they seem to be insinuating that we are snobs :eek: who Cruise with Cunard especialy those in "Queens Grill " :eek:

Queue Matthew :D ;)

Just want to correct any misconception people might have reading your post Gav Boy. "Get away-Queen Vic" This in no way means that Australians want the QV to get away from our shores. In fact we have been most welcoming. The citizens of Melbourne on Thursday put on a fireworks display in her honour. No doubt things are planned for Sydney.

"Get Away" is a holiday, life style program on one of our commercial TV Channels. I believe they featured the QV on the last show (I didn't watch it).

Sandy is correct and it was not a put down to the English or Cunard.

They did show the Q.V. on "Getaway" on Thursday night. We watched it and it was a very good program as the one of the comperes had spent time on board and did a short cruise. She was showing us around the ship and even showed the dance hosts and the St. Valentine's Day Ball.

It was a good program and made us want to cruise on her. We are fans of HAL and Oceania and particularly like the smaller ships so the program certainly was a very positive one.

Also I live in Melbourne and we gave the Q.V. a wonderful send off on Thursday night.

Jennie

Sandy is correct and it was not a put down to the English or Cunard.

They did show the Q.V. on "Getaway" on Thursday night. We watched it and it was a very good program as the one of the comperes had spent time on board and did a short cruise. She was showing us around the ship and even showed the dance hosts and the St. Valentine's Day Ball.

It was a good program and made us want to cruise on her. We are fans of HAL and Oceania and particularly like the smaller ships so the program certainly was a very positive one.

Also I live in Melbourne and we gave the Q.V. a wonderful send off on Thursday night.

Jennie

But what about the snobby part of the messages? And the myth about class distinctions and no Aussies would like to sail with Cunard because they believe this to be true? What exactly was on that Getaway programme?

PS: You mean Oceania like the Nautica?

Angela,

I have just read the P&O Australia board and yes there are some who don't like the idea of "segregated dining". Others do, it does depend on your circumstances and how you spend your money. I can remember when when we were young and it was First and Second Class travel on ships and as our family always went First Class we just didn't think twice about it.

My sister and brother in law will be on the QE2 in June this year and they will be dining in the Queens Grill as they always have a suite on whatever ship they cruise on.

Others would rather save that money and spend it on something else. Each to their own.

On HAL there is a sort of segregation in that the Suite passengers have a Neptune Lounge that they can have breakfast and snacks during the day. They can also have their breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill which is only open to them in the morning.

If you pay more for a cabin, then why shouldn't you enjoy some extra privileges.

Also there was nothing to suggest any sort of snobbishness about the Q.V. on the TV programme. It was all factual and as I said, it gave us an idea that one day we would like to travel on her.

Yes, we are doing a 35 day cruise on Oceania's Nautica in April and are looking forward to it immensely

Jennie

Yes, we are doing a 35 day cruise on Oceania's Nautica in April and are looking forward to it immensely

Jennie

Last year someone did this voyage and posted a daily diary. If it was a quarter as good as it sounded from his entries, you will just love it.

We've been on the Oceania Regatta. It's about as far as you can get from Cunard ship-wise, but we found everything absolutely wonderful and are going again this November. The food is the best at sea.

Angela,

Jack who posted his diary on the cruise on the Oceania Board last year is coming on board in Hong Kong and will stay with us until Singapore. He is going to be a Guest Lecturer whilst on board. He was asked by Frank Del Rio if he would like to become a Lecturer on Oceania and our cruise will be his first at lecturing. It will be great to meet him finally.

Jennie

Angela,

Jack who posted his diary on the cruise on the Oceania Board last year is coming on board in Hong Kong and will stay with us until Singapore. He is going to be a Guest Lecturer whilst on board. He was asked by Frank Del Rio if he would like to become a Lecturer on Oceania and our cruise will be his first at lecturing. It will be great to meet him finally.

Jennie

Wow! If anyone should be a lecturer, it's him. It never ceases to amaze me how involved Frank Del Rio is with the message board and his ships. Not sure if he'll ever get the berry situation perfectly perfect though. ;)

Not quite as exciting because he's not a Cruise Critic member, but Jacques Pepin will be on with us (Barcelona->Miami). Though I think instead of lecturing and demonstrating he should be in the kitchen.

Thank you for the exciting news, Jennie. I've not been to the Oceania board for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

HI there - at present, in Oct, the QV seems pretty full for balcony cat, and available is C5 (obstuctive view) - we also have another cabin booked - A3 balcony, so that can be used as a breathing space. What views about the C5? Has anyone seen a similar room? Is there a "closed" in balcony or is it just a window with a lifeboat outside>? cheers :confused:

Archived