Passport Info

LOWTYD

I applied for mine on January 23rd and had it 17 days later. I don't think there is much of a backlog now. Depending on where you are going, she might not need a passport. Passports are not required for cruises to the Carribean, Bermuda, Canada, and Mexico.

Although not required to cruise, if you were to have to fly back for any reason such as... missed the ship at a port, a medical reason, etc. You need a passport to fly. I was just reading a review recently where a couple missed the ship in Miami and had to fly to Cozumel to catch it. Wouldn't have been able to do this without passports.

I've been hearing that there isn't a backlog as there was before so you may be okay. You will have to send in the birth certificate with the application, so just make sure you have another birth certificate (state seal copy) in case you don't get the passport in time.

We are planning on doing our passports next Saturday. We are just going to the post office and doing them right there. They take the pictures and everything. The forms are already filled out. We printed them from the website.

My only question is do you get the passport book or the passport card?

The card is cheaper but we are going to Roatan, Cozumel, Belize, and Great Sitrrup Cay. Do these other countries accept the card or can we only get the book?

The card is good on cruises but not to fly. It is valid for 10 years just as a passport is. I would spend the extra few dollars and get the true passport-you may want to fly to another country sometime in the future and you will have to start the process over again.

I was posting on another site that I had seen someone mention 2 weeks. Then I read on that thread someone got theirs in 1 week not expediated (sp) and it was a first timer.

I was stunned, they said it was 1 week to the day they sent it in at the post office. DH is at 3 weeks and we don't have it. It was in the system in 10 days. A lot faster than last year's!! Mine didn't get into the system for over 6 weeks and took 13 weeks. DS's took close to 16 and he sent his in 1 week after I did.

They sure have improved!

Archived