Casablanca and Tangier ideas

wally

We wii be in Casablanca and Tangier on Sept. 16 & 17 aboard the Century. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do in port. Any good guides for 2 or more couples? Should we go on our own or stick with a guide? Any help would be appreciated.

We were in Tangier last September on Century. We did a half day tour that was GREAT. There were 7 of us. Our guide was Aziz Begdouri. He was recommended on these boards. Everything went just as promised. When we got off the ship and saw 50 large busses lined up, we were glad we went private. Some people on large ship tours said they almost got lost going through the old city (easy to do). Small group was much better. aziztour@hotmail.com I brought a couple of business cards home so I could recommend him. Have fun.

In Dec, 10 of us took the fast ferry from Spain to Tangier while our Star Princess was docked in Gilbralter. There were several licensed guides hanging around the ferry terminal and we negotiated with one for a half day walking tour of Tangier with plenty of time in the souk. DO NOT GO WITHOUT A GUIDE. The streets are a maze and literally no one speaks English.

I lived in Casablanca for two years, and while the first impression of the place can be overwhelming (lots of hustle and bustle), there are a few places worth visiting.

If you are planning to go around on your own, it's completely possible, and you'll want to take a red taxi. Minimum fare is 7 dirham, regardless of what the meter says. Make sure it's turned on when you get in. (7 dirham is like 70 cents U.S.--not exactly a budget breaker).

A visit to the Hassan II mosque is usually high on the list of "places to see" for visitors. You won't be able to go where people actually pray, though (unless you're Muslim), but will be able to view the prayer area from afar. I'm fairly certain the mosque has guided tours at regular intervals, but as I went there to pray, not to visit, I can't say for sure.

For reasons that mystify me, many tours include the "Habous" area. It's where a lot of the legal goings-on take place, but it's not very old and to me, not very interesting. However, should you like to visit (the buildings are interesting), tell any cabbie "Habous" and he'll know what you mean.

If you want a decent "souq" experience, go to the Marche' Centrale. Again, it's well-known with the cabbies. Or you could venture into Maarif (near Twin Center--two skyscrapers that mark Casa's skyline--NOT an interesting place to visit, as it's just a rather tired shopping mall) and go to Marche du Maarif, which is very small, but very navigable. There are lots of fun shops in Maarif, but expect to get cheated. It's not rude to haggle. Of course, many shops offer fixed prices.

For a tea break or lunch, I strongly recommend "Freres Gourmets", located off of Blvd d'Anfa on 9 rue Ain Harrouda. If you ask your cabbie to let you off at "Roundpoints du Sport" in Bourgougne, you'll get let off at a roundabout (circle intersection). One street leads into the intersection, and it's one way. Walking against traffic, go up that street (away from the ocean) and you'll find it. It's upscale (but affordable by U.S. standards) and really a pocket of tranquillity.

The Corniche is pleasant, but it's just a walk by the sea. You could stop for a juice overlooking the ocean, which is always nice. There's not much to do on the Corniche, unless you want to eat at McDonald's or go to nightclubs.

Another pleasant place to eat or drink some tea (near the port) is La Sqala. It's an old fortress that has been turned into a restaurant. You can't miss it--it looks like what it is, an old fortress. It's right on the coastal road.

I have the card of a cab driver I happened to have once, who turned out to speak English fluently and claimed to have been the driver for people at the Consulate (he has letters to prove it, which he showed me). He gave me the card and when I asked him his price, he quoted a rather exorbitant (by Moroccan standards) fare of 100 dirhams an hour (about 12 dollars). Now, if you are willing to pay that much (he'll wait for you and take you anywhere you want to go), please e-mail me at casoli1 at yahoo dot com and I'll be more than happy to give you his number. He was very nice and his English was very good. I rode in his cab twice (the world of Casa cab drivers is very small, and I rode cabs at least 5 times a day), and each time I found his driving exceptional and his manner exceptionally polite and well-mannered.

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns you have about Casa/Morocco in general.

--Nicole

I'll be in Tangier on the Brilliance in May. I too am looking for things to do there. RCCL only offers 1 or 2 excursions on its website. Any ideas you may have found would be helpful.

Also, this may seem ridiculous, but can you ride a camel in Tangier? I think it'd be pretty neat since we're going all the way to northern Africa to get a picture on a camel while in Tangier. :)

You can ride a camel (albeit a dingy and odiferous one):eek: near Tangier. If you go to the Cave of Hercules (which is worth a visit, even though it has become a dreadful tourist trap), there are usually "guides" (read: hustlers) who will be more than happy to hoist you aboard for a hefty tip (ask the price BEFORE getting on).

You can ride a camel (albeit a dingy and odiferous one):eek: near Tangier. If you go to the Cave of Hercules (which is worth a visit, even though it has become a dreadful tourist trap), there are usually "guides" (read: hustlers) who will be more than happy to hoist you aboard for a hefty tip (ask the price BEFORE getting on).

I appreciate the help. I don't really care how dingy the camel is (I know that sounds bad!) but I just want to get a picture of my wife on camel. See...I've been joking with her since I booked this cruise back 6 months ago that since we're going to north Africa, she is obligated to get a picture on a camel. I half think she thinks I am joking.

Any other tips for Tangier? As I said before, the ship's excursions are not very plenty in this port.

Concerning Tangier, I've always thought of it as a pleasant city, which is at odds with what most foreign visitors tend to experience.

I think that these negative perceptions come from that fact that most people on day tours don't really do their "homework" and tend to forget that even though Morocco is close to Europe, it's not.

As a port of entry (and a hub of activity for those who illegally "transport" Moroccans and other would-be emigrants to Spain--or try to), you need to expect a certain amount of seediness. There are a lot of guys hanging around with not much to do. Use the same common sense you would anywhere else--don't go to out-of-the-way places with suspicious characters, and don't let yourself be outnumbered. If you don't feel comfortable, retrace your steps and get out of the situation.

IGNORE people who try to talk to you. I know that sounds very rude. But the fact is that people will try to sell you anything and will try to be your guide for the day. If you give them ANY encouragement, they will stick to your side like glue and will be VERY difficult to get rid of. So don't even say, "No thank you". Just ignore them. It's hard, but you have to do it. Otherwise you'll be very uncomfortable and will likely spend a miserable day wishing you hadn't been so polite.

There are some lovely buildings in Tangier. The architecture is lovely due to its "international zone" days. I've been to the old Medina, but I can pass for a Moroccan and I speak Moroccan Arabic; also I was with my husband's cousin, who lives in Tangier, so I don't know whether you should attempt to go in or not. If I were you, I'd go for it, just follow the advice above: ignore.

As for the Cave of Hercules, it's a bit out of town, but very nice if you can ignore the touts selling garish merchandise at every turn.

I hope you have a great trip.

--Nicole

Archived