When will Cunard "bin" British Airways

jgsmuzzy

I cannot imagine getting to the airport for the flight to meet the ship, and getting told that I cannot check any luggage in!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7254455.stm[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7256487.stm][/url]

Also, we are now looking at lengthy British Airways pilot strikes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7256487.stm

I honestly think that Cunard need to look very closely at their arrangements with BA, as it seems that BA do not care about their passengers.

There are several transatlantic carriers, maybe Cunard should be looking at some of the alternatives to an airline that thinks that the country owes it a living.

Having read the links,

It seems the baggage restrictions are only at London and not Manchester...but i would ask the question why can buisness & first class still take hold luggage but economy cant....dont they use the same software to remove cases etc ?

Re the flight strikes shame it makes no mention of any dates.

Changing to other carriers, would you get the same luggage allowance on other carriers as you get on BA

Never had a problem with BA compared to other airlines, but you cant please every body all of the time, perphaps to help this, Cunard should look at offering you a number of flights / carriers like other agents, it may mean paying extra but if it keeps the clent happy

Brian

You would get the same allowances and in some cases more. BA and BAA are a complete basket case. I would seriously be reviewing my contract. We are only in February and already the wheels are coming off at LHR. Just wait until the first T5 meltdown.

I cannot imagine getting to the airport for the flight to meet the ship, and getting told that I cannot check any luggage in!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7254455.stm

Also, we are now looking at lengthy British Airways pilot strikes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7256487.stm

I honestly think that Cunard need to look very closely at their arrangements with BA, as it seems that BA do not care about their passengers.

There are several transatlantic carriers, maybe Cunard should be looking at some of the alternatives to an airline that thinks that the country owes it a living.

Our flights from Glasgow are with Continental so they obviously do use other airlines.

Oh dear. My last post makes no sense at all!

Try again. BA do not fly to NY from Glasgow, probably why you went with Continental. Where your local airport is served with a BA flight to New York, Cunard will put you on that one.

There, much better!

We've been put on Virgin Atlantic flights twice (Newark Liberty to LHR). Once about 4 years ago and again last June.

Cunard's air supplement has become so expensive that we've booked our own air for our more recent travel. For Newark to LHR, the supplement for for this May was nearly $1200.00!!!!! That's for economy/coach, not including transfers to/from Soton. For just under $800, we booked Virgin (probably the same flights Cunard would have put us on), and did an upgrade to "premium economy" for the eastbound overnight flight.

Wow what a nightmare if I was traveling back from a cruise. Sounds like a very temporay thing though.

I had a reasonably good flight on B.A. LAX to LHR in August last year.

I booked this one on my own... Friend I was traveling with loves B.A.

I love their ships and "traditions" BUT Cunard can be such a rip off.

I did get a really good deal on a QE2 crossing in Jan 06 that included air on Air New Zealand (sp?) Great flight except for the back of the seat T.V.s had problems.

Oh and I alway book my own air unless it is a killer deal...

Tom in Long Beach

.... Just wait until the first T5 meltdown.

We are flying to LAX on BA two days after terminal 5 opens to join QE2. Might be interesting.... I did read somewhere in the press that you have to be at the gate 40 mins before departure. At that time some gates close automatically and no one, repeat no one else will be allowed through.

Brian

We are flying to LAX on BA two days after terminal 5 opens to join QE2. Might be interesting.... I did read somewhere in the press that you have to be at the gate 40 mins before departure. At that time some gates close automatically and no one, repeat no one else will be allowed through.

Brian

Hi.

my dw and I will be on the same flight! I agree, might be an interessting experience. Will be our first long hault flight ever, and to be honest, I am very, very nervous. *puh*

Kevin

Brian

I'm going Virgin on the 27th - hope we both make it on board!

Matthew

Cunard's preferred air partner is Virgin.. and so by default.. their condeshare partner Continental.

The Air/Sea department also tries never to write a double connecting flight so they will use whatever flights will work from your gateway.

Also, because "X" airport is your closest, you don't have to use it if you don't want to. Just tell the booking agent to change it to "Z".

CraigH, when you check in make sure you let the check in agent know that you are a bit nervous and this is your first longhaul, they will then comment your booking so the crew can keep an eye out for you. The main thing with longhaul is the absolute tedium it induces. Luckily BA's entertainment system is brilliant. It has proper "on demand", just like sky + and a huge vault of films and TV to keep you occupied. I would also suggest bringing something like suduko or crosswords with you. 11hrs is very long time. I wish I could gie you more info on T5 right now, but I shall ask the building manager if he can help give me more advice if I see him between now and then. He lives in Manchester and commutes down there daily on my airline, not BA!:p If you are very nervous I wuold suggest you get Bach rescue remedy, take four drops as often as you need, it got me through my last flight! Don't worry too much about getting a window seat because there is actually very little to see, if you can try and get a block in the middle with a couple of free seats if it is quiet, far preferable to two on the window.

Matthew - Virgin's onboard system is also excellent, but the selection isn't as good as BA's. Are you going upper or premium? I believe the clubhouse is excellent and upper certainly looks very, very nice, especially the bar!

Hi,

Lexxity, thank you for the tips. I am prety sure, it will not be as bad. I enjoyed my short flights to europe (okay, there were only three :) ) very much. The main thing, I am concerned about, is the baggage, immigration in the US and to get to 'my' ship in time.

Oh well, we will see.

Thank you again.

Kevin

I am flying out with BA to New York on the 27th Feb. Tuesday but fortunately from Manchester so should not be affected. I am however coming back to Heathrow and then onwards to Manchester on my return journery on the 10th March.

This because when I booked there was no availibility on the Manchester flight. Now there is and I have been told to contact BA in NY and try to change the flight for a fee of £50 but to do it now would incur a fee of £150.

Hope it sorts itself out.

Sue

Immigration is not as bad as you have heard. Just remember to say "yes sir/no sir" and be polite. It goes a very long way to making your day easier. You'll be fine. How long are you in LA for?

Only a couple of hours, i am afraid. It is the flight you got with Cunard.

Only a couple of hours, i am afraid. It is the flight you got with Cunard.

Are you not flying out on 29th? Thats the day I am going and have an overnight stop in LA. Standard package booked with Cunard. Bit risky if you are flying out same day as departure (30th)

Brian

Are you not flying out on 29th? Thats the day I am going and have an overnight stop in LA. Standard package booked with Cunard. Bit risky if you are flying out same day as departure (30th)

Brian

Nope, according to the letter I got from Cunard ant the BA Website, my flight is on the 30th 9:55 hrs (01:00 pm in LA).

I really do not know why, might be because of my cabin category (M4).

Okay, now I am really nervous. Thanks Brian! ;)

Kevin

Nope, according to the letter I got from Cunard ant the BA Website, my flight is on the 30th 9:55 hrs (01:00 pm in LA).

Kevin

Both the Cunard website and the brochure say departure is 29th with overnight hotel stay in LA.

See here

http://www.cunard.co.uk/CruiseItinerary_tab.asp?cruiseid=2917&LeftNav=ourShips&Active=&Sub=&OB=&Region=13&ship=&ShipID='QE2'&CruiseDate=&Duration=

We are on the second BA flight leaving at 11:55 arriving 4pm in LA. We are in M2 category so pretty much the same as you. I would double check with your travel agent and Cunard. The ship sails at 5pm so it does not allow much time to get through immigration and to get to the ship. Have been through immigration before in LA and it can take a long time.

Either way you are not getting what is advertised in the brochure and on the website

Brian

Both the Cunard website and the brochure say departure is 29th with overnight hotel stay in LA.

See here

http://www.cunard.co.uk/CruiseItinerary_tab.asp?cruiseid=2917&LeftNav=ourShips&Active=&Sub=&OB=&Region=13&ship=&ShipID='QE2'&CruiseDate=&Duration=

We are on the second BA flight leaving at 11:55 arriving 4pm in LA. We are in M2 category so pretty much the same as you. I would double check with your travel agent and Cunard. The ship sails at 5pm so it does not allow much time to get through immigration and to get to the ship. Have been through immigration before in LA and it can take a long time.

Either way you are not getting what is advertised in the brochure and on the website

Brian

The SHIP doesn't leave until the 30th. Your flight arrives at LAX on the 29th.

I'm also on that World Cruise segment and will be celebrating my birthday on the 30th. See you in the Yacht Club for the informal CC meet?

M-L

The SHIP doesn't leave until the 30th. Your flight arrives at LAX on the 29th.

I know, I was responding to Craigh who is flying out on 30th arriving at LAX at 1pm if on time. I don't have a problem. Hope to see you all in the Yacht club

Brian

Matthew - Virgin's onboard system is also excellent, but the selection isn't as good as BA's. Are you going upper or premium? I believe the clubhouse is excellent and upper certainly looks very, very nice, especially the bar!

Premium Economy this time. Mainly because I haven't the points for Upper Class, but also because it is a day flight and I don't think I need the sleeper seat as one does on an overnight. The width of the seat in premium at 21" is only an inch less than Upper Class. Looks as if there is ample leg room.

Upper Class "service" is pretty ropey. Clubhouse at JFK is really rather nasty. Food on the way home in January was rubbish.

Just to add to the travel tips - keep moving. Going for a quick walk is good, even if to the toilet. Not only do you have a slight risk of DVT (your GP will deal with that) but you'll get very cramped otherwise....

Immigration is not as bad as you have heard. Just remember to say "yes sir/no sir" and be polite. It goes a very long way to making your day easier. You'll be fine. How long are you in LA for?

Expect rudeness and abruptness. Then you won't be disappointed if you get it. On the other hand, not all are like that. But don't do anything other than answer the questions directly and forthrightly. Much the same as any other immigration. The immigration officer last time I entered the US was very pleasant.

Kevin

This concerns me. Is your DEPARTURE date the 30th? It should be, as has been said, the 29th. Not only is there the "getting to the ship" point, but you would benefit from the night in a hotel just to collect yourself and have a small chance of beating jet lag. Long flights like that are tiring - even though you're doing nothing.

If you're right (and I guess you probably are) then get on to your TA or Cunard immediately. Seek a written guarantee that the ship will be held for you if the flight is late. You won't get it - but it might show that you're not to be trifled with.

If it is your first Cunard trip then rest assured that this nonsense will stop as you cross the gangplank. If it isn't, you'll know how poor Cunard shoreside is.

Matthew

Premium Economy this time. Mainly because I haven't the points for Upper Class, but also because it is a day flight and I don't think I need the sleeper seat as one does on an overnight. The width of the seat in premium at 21" is only an inch less than Upper Class. Looks as if there is ample leg room.

For a day flight even economy is acceptable. You can cope with more when not exhausted! :D

CraigH, for god's sake get that flight changed! It's risky doing the flight into NYC on the day but halfway round the world? No way. You need to be flying out on the 29th. Get your agent onto Cunard and get it ammended to the brochure pacakge.

Archived