Thinking of moving our . . .

CrusingOnMyMind

January sailing on the Caribbean Princess to the Carnival Victory instead. Any pros or cons for this? We've never sailed Princess before - we've booked them, but for whatever reason always end up coming back to Carnival. Thanks for any input!

I have sailed the Victory and the Crown Princess (pretty close to the Caribbean Princess) and I would pick the Caribbean Princess in a heartbeat!!!!!

I would suggest that you try it for yourself and find out the differances.

There are many. Good Luck!!!

Really??? The Crown wins over the Victory? *sigh* Anything particular reason why? How do the rooms compare to Carnival - we've heard they are quite a bit smaller. THANKS, I really appreciate your input!

We had a balcony cabin and while the cabin is a little smaller the balcony is larger. But the way the cabin is laid out it makes it more spacious. For instance while the bathroom is smaller it opens to the closet area which gives you a space like a dressing area as opposed to Carnivals bathroom opens up to the hallway across from the closet. If anyone has been on Carnival you know if someone has the closet door open and you try to walk out of the bathroom it is impossible and the closet door is always in the way of the front door. Also the bed is not up against the window and the balcony door is a slider which is very nice. Hope that makes sense.

January sailing on the Caribbean Princess to the Carnival Victory instead. Any pros or cons for this? We've never sailed Princess before - we've booked them, but for whatever reason always end up coming back to Carnival. Thanks for any input!

Iv been on the Caribbean Princess and its been my all time favorite ship so far, much better than say the Grand Princess even though both have MUTS. Hard to say if its just because of the two any time dining rooms instead of one any time dining room on the older Princess ships (still one Traditional), I loved the late night snacks and the disco at the top. Of course we were on the front of Lido deck and loved that cabin a lot so that helped and there were more card players to play bridge with. Just everything was the best of any other cruise.

I'd stick with the Caribbean Princess if I were you. Nothing wrong with Carnival as i love the line but Princess has something about it that makes it special.

Fresh water pools (4), Movies Under the Stars, I think Victory had this added also, Lots of venues for shows at night, 24 hour buffet. Very nicely decorated.

Click the link in my signature and check out the Caribbean Princess before you decide to cancel.

Bill

Wow, that Princess ship must really be something special! For the price of an inside I can book a balcony on Carnival:eek: Maybe when I slow down a bit and want to splash the cash down I'll sail that beautiful ship with a better configured bathroom:rolleyes:

I'm courious what the total price difference is between the Victory and the Caribbean Princess . That could be enough to sway one's mind.

Price is actually a big part in why we're considering changing . . . Carnival offers military discounts, which we qualify for and the price difference between the two would actually pay for our airfare to San Juan. Comparable cabins, though a cabin better to our liking and with a bigger balcony on Carnival - saving us over $600. But we were going to try something NEW this time. *sigh* As I just told me husband, we're now in a pickle!

The seafood buffet is in the regular buffet area the first night. all you can eat cold seafood, they had piles of crab legs (already cracked) and bowls of shrimp and one other thing that was good, not crab, something similar. Maybe someone else can remember what all they put on the seafood buffet the first night. My cruise roomie did complain about the crab being cold, not hot, but I liked it. Most skip the dining room the first night.

Wow, that Princess ship must really be something special!

It is if you are comparing it to the Victory;)

Price is actually a big part in why we're considering changing . . . Carnival offers military discounts, which we qualify for and the price difference between the two would actually pay for our airfare to San Juan. Comparable cabins, though a cabin better to our liking and with a bigger balcony on Carnival - saving us over $600. But we were going to try something NEW this time. *sigh* As I just told me husband, we're now in a pickle!

What balcony cabin were you thinking about booking on the Victory:confused:

Given the huge price difference, I would opt for Carnival without blinking.

Carnival staterooms are the largest in the industry. I've never had a big issue with the cabin layout. Plenty of room for dressing and showering. We now opt for balcony cabins, so that gives us a bit more room as well. We spend the majority of our time outside the cabin.

For the money, I would blow off the Princess. $600 could buy a lot of excursions and cocktails and trips to the spa if that is your thing.

It would be a no-brainer for me. :D

Best of luck. :)

It is if you are comparing it to the Victory;)

What balcony cabin were you thinking about booking on the Victory:confused:

We are looking at booking an 8A balcony on the Victory, cabin 6432 specifically. It's all the way at the back on the port side, the last one before the actual wrap-a-round aft balcony. The balcony we have on the CB Princess is an AC balcony, which we were going to go with a mini-suite, but our TA talked us out of it.

We are looking at booking an 8A balcony on the Victory, cabin 6432 specifically. It's all the way at the back on the port side, the last one before the actual wrap-a-round aft balcony. The balcony we have on the CB Princess is an AC balcony, which we were going to go with a mini-suite, but our TA talked us out of it.

Ok you are comparing a mini suite with a balcony cabin. Granted the balcony cabin you picked on the Victory has a wider balcony and little bigger cabin but IMO no comparison.

Even if you get a regular balcony cabin on Princess the balcony while not wider, it will be longer then cabin 6432 on the Victory. More leg room if that makes sense.

Also I know if you are new to Princess and you register on their website they were offering a $100 p/p shipboard credit. That might help.

But it is totally up to you how you want to spend your money. All I can offer is that there are reasons why it is priced a little higher and you will find out the difference once you experience it. And if you want to try something different I think this would be the right choice.:)

Ok you are comparing a mini suite with a balcony cabin. Granted the balcony cabin you picked on the Victory has a wider balcony and little bigger cabin but IMO no comparison.

Even if you get a regular balcony cabin on Princess the balcony while not wider, it will be longer then cabin 6432 on the Victory. More leg room if that makes sense.

Also I know if you are new to Princess and you register on their website they were offering a $100 p/p shipboard credit. That might help.

But it is totally up to you how you want to spend your money. All I can offer is that there are reasons why it is priced a little higher and you will find out the difference once you experience it. And if you want to try something different I think this would be the right choice.:)

OOPS. We are booked in a BC, not an AC. We wanted to do the AC, but our TA talked us out of it. We are new to Princess and I registered online with them the other day and was not offered any shipboard credits. :(

The Caribbean Princess is a beautiful ship...absolutely amazing! If it's just the two of you, I would look into changing from your "AC" mini to a "BA" or "BB" balcony on the Caribe deck. Here are the reasons why...

1. The baclony of a mini is completely exposed, not covered at all. So, if you encounter a little rain (which we did) you will not be able to use your balcony.

2. The balcony size on the Caribe deck is almost double the size of the other balconies. I have attached a pic for your reference.

3. The balconies on the Caribe beck are half exposed and half covered. So, you get the shelter or privacy if you need it and the sun if you want that.

I hope this helps! Downgrading cain categories may help with the finances.

IMG_0195.jpg.3e37e0688237054f5b3124cfc6f6b2ce.jpg

We have taken two cruises on the Victory. One was it's maiden voyage. Liked it so much we went back with a bigger group.The second cruise the ship had engine trouble in the middle of the Caribbean. We only did 5 of the 7 day cruise. No problems with any thing on the ship such as AC, tolits or electric, it just would not travel at full speed. This turned out to be one of our best cruises. Carnival really took care of every one on the ship. Our full price of that cruise was credited back to my credit card by the time we were home and we had half off our next cruise. They opened the bars a couple times at no cost and offered any one the option of staying on the ship while it was back in port the 2 days early. We have been on most of the different cruise lines at least once and have finally decided we are booking every thing direct with CCL. It seems their prices just allow us to free up some of our money for extras that we might not do other wise. To each his own. Never been on a bad cruise. As they say they are what you make them. Jimmy and Sharon

I would go with the Carribean Princess. It is an awesome ship. Its fun to try different lines and compare. :)

Have you priced both cruises out? If the Princess cruise does cost more, is it worth it to you to try a new ship? Do the features that are different appeal to you and your husband? Which itenerary would you rather go on or are they the same? You need to weigh your options and go with what your gut tells you. Either way I am sure you will have a great time.:)

Princess is nice but so is Carnival. I have been on the Crown Princess and the Carnival Triumph but not the Victory.

What I dislike about Princess is that they nickle and dime you to death. You need to take this into consideration when looking at cost.

Brewed coffee on Princess is at an additional cost. They have free coffee but it is a syrup concentrate that tastes horrible.

Ice cream - additional charge (except for an hour in the buffet)

Hot Chocolate - additional charge

Cappuccino - additional charge

Espresso - additional charge

Lemonade/Fruit punch - additional charge

Only thing to drink in buffet is water, ice tea and the free horrible coffee.

On Carnival you get a much bigger cabin too.

The one thing I really enjoyed on Princess was less kids.

Another thing to consider is doing a cruise line you haven't done before. Try Princess and make the comparison for yourself. Variety is the spice of life after all.

Whatever you decide have a wonderful cruise :D

Princess is nice but so is Carnival. I have been on the Crown Princess and the Carnival Triumph but not the Victory.

What I dislike about Princess is that they nickle and dime you to death. You need to take this into consideration when looking at cost.

Brewed coffee on Princess is at an additional cost. They have free coffee but it is a syrup concentrate that tastes horrible.

Ice cream - additional charge (except for an hour in the buffet)

Hot Chocolate - additional charge

Cappuccino - additional charge

Espresso - additional charge

Lemonade/Fruit punch - additional charge

Only thing to drink in buffet is water, ice tea and the free horrible coffee.

On Carnival you get a much bigger cabin too.

The one thing I really enjoyed on Princess was less kids.

Another thing to consider is doing a cruise line you haven't done before. Try Princess and make the comparison for yourself. Variety is the spice of life after all.

Whatever you decide have a wonderful cruise :D

That just goes to show you taste is subjective. We loved their coffee.

And there were things on the Crown which Carnival does not offer.

They came around with free cookies every afternoon on the Lido deck.

You got 5 beers in a bucket for what you pay for 4 on Carnival..

Ice cream in the buffet was scoop ice cream not soft serve.

So I guess you can say it all depends on what you like:D

Also we noticed just as many kids.....only difference Princess has youth security:D

But I agree no one will know if they like it until they try it themselves.

OOPS. We are booked in a BC, not an AC. We wanted to do the AC, but our TA talked us out of it. We are new to Princess and I registered online with them the other day and was not offered any shipboard credits. :(

One thing I have noticed with Princess is that their prices many times starts out a little higher and as the cruise gets closer the pricing goes down some. So you are almost a year away and the crown, emerald, caribbean, ruby, and the grand will all be in the caribbean next winter and that is the most Princess ships I have ever seen in the caribbean during the winter. So watch the prices - also who did you book through? cruise compete dot com has two agy's that are cheaper than anyother TA I have ever seen.

We have been in most balconies on the Caribbean Princess. The Mini Suites are very nice but we prefer a caribe balcony.

Archived