Not the same old wine question...

2B@C

A more specific one: Has anyone actually had wine confiscated at embarkation? (Not when re-boarding at a port of call).

My friends are concerned, and are planning to stash a couple bottles in each of their bags. We on the other hand are planning to walk right up with a full case, or maybe slap a luggage tag on it and send it on ahead (it's a 15 day cruise). None of us are bringing any booze, beer or soda.

I know the Cruise Answer Book says one bottle per person, and the Passage Contract lists no limit. I also know the Contract says it 'constitutes the entire agreement' and 'supersedes any prior written agreement', meaning the Answer Book is really just PR fluff.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has been stopped upon boarding and told they had too much wine, and if so, what happened?

We did the 15 day Hawaiian cruise in January. We carried on six bottles and nobody said a word. At one port we picked up some more and security asked how many we had. We said three and they said nothing else about it.

Do the case of wine and give it to the porters....the porters who deliver it to the ship and the room stewards who deliver it to your cabin could care less. We do it all the time. Last June on the Regal, we had 4 bottles of wine in our carry on. They wanted to take two bottles away from us. My DH looked at the people behind us and said, would you carry these two bottles on for us......the security people just said go ahead! :D The people behind us said they would have been glad to.....promptly invited them to our cabin for...you guessed it, wine!!!!!

A more specific one: Has anyone actually had wine confiscated at embarkation? (Not when re-boarding at a port of call)

What I'd like to know is if anyone has been stopped upon boarding and told they had too much wine, and if so, what happened?

We had the unfortunate experience of having wine confiscated when we sailed from Port Everglades on the CB in October 2007. On our previous Princess cruises we had packed the wine in our checked luggage(more than the one bottle/person limit) On this occasion, we chose to not be deceptive and were carrying a 4-bottle pack from our local wine store. Much to our chagrin, security stopped us and insisted on taking two bottles of wine which they adivsed us would be returned on the last day of the cruise. We protested, letting them know that we bought wine in the dining room each evening at dinner, but to no avail.

Needless to say when we sailed on the Emerald a couple of weeks ago, we reverted to our previous practice of packing some wine in our checked luggage and putting two bottles in our carry-on bag which sailed through security.

The moral of this story: security is not always as liberal as these boards suggest. Maybe as Shakespeare says "Discretion is the better part of valor"

What do they do about boxed wine? Are you allowed one liter per person (very small box) or could you bring a 3 liter box (medium sized) per person?

We have always checked our boxed wine in our luggage with the porters. This time we are doing all carry on sized bags so we must be within allowable amounts.

There are more and more kinds of boxed wine out there and it is so convenient as you do not have to worry about glass breakage.

The last three cruises we were on aboard the Caribbean Princess, I brought an entire case of wine aboard right through security. I had it on a hand cart and the security guys even asked if the party was in our room. It has never been an issue, at least as recently as April of 07. I would much rather pay corkage for bottle I know I will enjoy rather than paying an inflated price for a questionable bottle.

We put our wine, water and sodas into a roll around suitcase and carry it on. We've never been stopped.

When we left on the Dawn Princess last October we watched one of the forklift drivers drop a suitcase off the cage he was carrying, then run over it. After that he went back and retrieved the mushed case and threw it back up with the other suitcases he had. :eek:

Anyway... if you're leaving out of Port Everglades there are a number of nice wine shops you can visit.

Total Wine is very close to the port gates. You can pick from their selection on line and order it ahead. They will have it boxed and waiting for you when you get there.

Crown Wine and Spirits is nice too. The are on Cordova next to Winn-Dixie.

On Princess, corkage in the dining room is $15.00 a bottle. Well worth it considering some of the wonderful bottles of wine we enjoyed on our Dawn, Sea, Sun, and HAL Volendam trips.

.....None of us are bringing any booze, beer or soda.

I know comments are probably not welcomed.....but I just cannot pass it up........ It is curious to me why folks feel the need to rationalize their actions. "I'm hauling wine aboard, but at least I am not hauling booze." So I guess that makes it ok. :rolleyes: Tells me they recognize they are violating the policies..... even though the cruise line will look the other way to avoid the confrontation.

The other one that intrigues me is the rationalization that even though I violated the policy, at least I had a large bar bill. So that one sounds like "I spent money, so it is ok to violate the policy" :mad:

So what's happening.... People consciences acting up ? :confused:

I know comments are probably not welcomed.....but I just cannot pass it up........ It is curious to me why folks feel the need to rationalize their actions. "I'm hauling wine aboard, but at least I am not hauling booze." So I guess that makes it ok. :rolleyes: Tells me they recognize they are violating the policies..... even though the cruise line will look the other way to avoid the confrontation.

The other one that intrigues me is the rationalization that even though I violated the policy, at least I had a large bar bill. So that one sounds like "I spent money, so it is ok to violate the policy" :mad:

So what's happening.... People consciences acting up ? :confused:

Of course comments are welcomed, but it's curious to me why you feel the need to over-analyze a simple but legitimate question.

Booze, beer and soda are specifically not allowed. Wine is allowed. Princess lists conflicting information as to how much wine is allowed, and between the two, the Passage Contract is the only one that is binding. No policy is being violated by bringing wine onboard, there is just a question as to the limit. Princess left the door open for misunderstanding, they can close it if they choose.

I suppose you can read some deeper motive into that if you want. I really just wanted to hear what other peoples experiences have been.

Of course comments are welcomed, but it's curious to me why you feel the need to over-analyze a simple but legitimate question.

Booze, beer and soda are specifically not allowed. Wine is allowed. Princess lists conflicting information as to how much wine is allowed, and between the two, the Passage Contract is the only one that is binding. No policy is being violated by bringing wine onboard, there is just a question as to the limit. Princess left the door open for misunderstanding, they can close it if they choose.

I suppose you can read some deeper motive into that if you want. I really just wanted to hear what other peoples experiences have been.

Actually I had no intention of responding.......until I ran into that one line......

Originally Posted by 2B@C ....None of us are bringing any booze, beer or soda

I know folks are going to haul wine and booze and water and soda aboard and folks were answering your question. I also understand you are trying to see if the fact your contract does not specify the amount of wine the policy does you interpret (or want to interpret) that as the trump card. I have even seen folks state they planned to have their contract available to argue the point if challenged during boarding.

It just struck me odd that for some reason you (and many others I have seen on these boards) seemed like a rationalization was needed with your question. My comment just happen to be to your post, but I seen it so many times when folks ask questions about "Is it ok" or "Will I have it taken away"

Star, Jan 07, boarded with a WINE CASE (12 bottles) and 4 bottles in a knapsack.

All while boarding security asked, what's in the case. I said 'great wine'. They smiled.

NCL is the only cruiseline I've been on, where they take the wine away, but that's just so they can charge you a corkage. While it's a similar fee

as princess charges, not Princess only charges you for bringing it to dinner.

By the way, Princess chanrges a full $5.00 more than NCL.

There is good reason to bring your own wine. Unlike HAl and X, the selection for higher quality rated vintages in not as good, and there's no sommeliers on Princess.

Will surely be bringing yet another case on our Alaskan Coral Cruise this summer...

jc

toronto

I'm bringing 4 bottles in my carry on, and a copy of the contract. Princess used the contract to charge me an extra $100 fuel charge and another $17 for Gov Fees and Taxes all AFTER my cruise was paid in full. (I always thought paid in full meant I didn't owe anything more :mad: ).

Anyway, the contract clearly states that I can bring my own wine and champagne, so I'm going to play by their rules and bring my own.

Craig

Archived