Tipping?

millerboy88

[quote name='VentureMan_2000']Funny... I have never heard of a grocery store [I]NOT[/I] pushing your cart (buggy) out to your car, if you ask, and un-loading the groceries into your car for you. This is not new... it's been going on for ten's of decades... 50 years or more for sure. Sounds like where you live is the exception, and not the rule.

Safeway Stores, one of the largest chains West of the Mississippi, requires them to ask each and every customer if they need "help out to your car". If they don't, then they get written up. All the other food chains have simular policies.

Maybe it's time for a move to a more customer friendly State... ;)[/QUOTE]
The grocery store I go to here in CA won't even let you take your shopping cart out yourself and the parking lot never has a stray cart anywhere. And they won't accept tips either.

[quote name='cathyz']The grocery store I go to here in CA won't even let you take your shopping cart out yourself and the parking lot never has a stray cart anywhere. And they won't accept tips either.[/quote]

That is how some of the stores are around here (not accepting a tip), but many still do. I never take advantage... but it is a very nice service!!

[quote name='funship freddy'][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]IMO. Most cruisers are newbies. (not a bad thing...we need new input) They don't realize that the porters are making more than MOST of us and a portion of the $$$$ is sans tax. Is there an answer ?[/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

One answer is that I know I do and I'm sure you have much more important things to think about. Consider it a toll, pay it and keep moving.

Dan

[quote name='VentureMan_2000']Safeway Stores, one of the largest chains West of the Mississippi, requires them to ask each and every customer if they need "help out to your car". If they don't, then they get written up. All the other food chains have simular policies.

Maybe it's time for a move to a more customer friendly State... ;)[/quote]

I didn't know this. I shop at Dominick's, a Safeway chain, and they always ask this. Didn't know they could get written up for not asking though!

I've always had good luck with porters - they've always been very friendly. In Tampa, I gave the guy $3 for my one bag, and he seemed very surprised by this:confused:. Same thing in Miami in May...the guy couldn't have been friendlier. I usually tip $3 for my one bag...I feel weird just handing over $1. When we had 5 on the Valor in October, we had 9 bags between the 5 of us...we gave him $20.

[quote name='Chigirlcruzin']

[quote name='[B']VentureMan_2000][/B]
[I]Safeway Stores, one of the largest chains West of the Mississippi, requires them to ask each and every customer if they need "help out to your car". If they don't, then they get written up. All the other food chains have simular policies.

Maybe it's time for a move to a more customer friendly State... ;)[/I]
[I] [/I]
[I][/quote][/I]

I didn't know this. I shop at Dominick's, a Safeway chain, and they always ask this. Didn't know they could get written up for not asking though!

[/quote]

I have family that works for Safeway... that's why I know this. One more piece of trivia... when you ask an employee what isle to find a product on, they have to ask you if you want them to show you where it is. If you say, not only do they take you to the isle the item is shelved on, they actually have to touch the item in front of you and say something like, "Here it is. Can I help you find anything else... ?"

If they don't they can be written up. Safeway actually employs secret shoppers to make sure these policies are followed. When they aren't, the employee is written up.

And it's not like folks are being written up left and right... but it can and does happen.

I have always given $2.00 a bag, but have never been to the Port of Miami. I have heard/read reports of demanding tips to ensure your luggage got on the ship. This will be our first cruise out of Miami. If that is the way they put it, then they are always assured a tip, kinda like tip or else it sounds like

[quote name='tcha']Speaking of tipping.....are the tips for a carnival cruise covered in the fare? On HAL I believe that they were. We still added a tip though.[/quote]

the tips are not covered in the fare but they will be added to your S&S account automatically and it's usually the first transaction. Unless of course you pre pay the tips before the start of the cruise. You can have them adjusted or removed entirely. We usually pre pay them and then tip above and beyond for those we think went above and beyond.

• 1 month later...
Some very interesting replies. I agree with many of you and will continue to tip $1. per bag. Why temp fate i figure. Tell you some one I also tip. The guy that brings my bags. They are the ones that deserve the tip. I cant catch them all the time but when I see one of them drop my bag by my room they get a $5. bill. Their faces always light up and the spring returns to their step. Happy cruising.

Ugh...the Miami porters drive me crazy. I always tip $1/bag anyway, and I'm usually happy to do so. Only in Miami have I heard porters demanding tips "or else" and it's ridiculous. I hate that it is increasingly assumed that everyone gets tipped for doing their job. Back in the day, tips were for good service. Nowadays, there are many types of service that I receive, but "good" is almost never one of them. ON a Carnival ship is about the only place I find that anymore.

[quote name='millerboy88']What do you all, recommend as a good tip amount for the porters at the cruise ship ports. I have heard horror stories with the porters basically demanding money or saying things like "look out for me, or your luggage won't make it to the ship":confused: Just wondering what is the norm for tipping the porters

thanks[/quote]

The stories are true, and it really makes me angery when they do that. Miami seems to be the worse. I've finally gotton to the point that when I get off the transfer bus from the airport that I just head straight for the terminal and ingnore them.

My thought is that if you want me to tip you, then provide me a service and don't DEMAND it from me. Just my $0.02 worth

[quote name='RjayB']Yes, it is true Longshoremen are not hurting for money, and are not supposed to be tipped. They are NOT the same as the wonderful staff who will be taking care of you on the ship. The ship staff is poorly paid and relies on your tips.

What the longshoremen do is nothing short of extortion that borders on criminal behaviour. :mad:

Yes, I pay $1 per bag so my luggage makes it to my stateroom, but I'm not happy about it.[/quote]

Very nicely said!!!!!

But the porters only get your bags and put them on the luggage carts, no? They don't take them into the terminal. They don't scan them. They don't personally deliver them to your cabin.

Do they?

Do you really think your case will end up in the water if you give $1/bag instead of $5?

I don't.

[quote name='VentureMan_2000']What bothers me most about this topic of Tipping Porters is two-fold:

First, it was true 20 years ago that the Porters in Miami were the rudest sons-of-guns in demanding a TIP. And funny thing is, 20 years later, that is still true today. And I'm only refering to the porters who take your bags at the terminal before boarding.

I am not refering to a Porter who takes the extra time to bring all your luggage to your car loading area after debarking.

These Porters work for the Port Authority and not any of the Cruise lines. The bottom line is, that no one but the Porters are allowed to load luggage into the cages. It's all Union. And only these Union workers are allowed to load these cages on the ship.

So... where am I going with all this...?

My position is that you should not be giving the Porters a TIP at all... they make Union Wages for loading your luggage into cages to be loaded onto the ship. Once loaded onto the ship, their job ends.

Your TIP should really be going to the Crew of the Carnival ship that actually hump your bags up from the bowels of the ship to your cabin.

Now, it's the Ship's Crew that deserves a TIP!

And conversely, the Ship's Crew that brings your luggage down to bowels of the ship and stacks them in cages to be off-loaded are likely the same Crew that brought your bags up to your cabin. Too bad Carnival does not have a TIPing optional category to be divided up between the Crew that does this work.

Sorry... but the Porters do nothing up and beyond to get your luggage on the ship... so why TIP them...?

Oh... I know why you should TIP them... so your luggage does not end up in the drink. That's a $1 per bag well spent... but not well deserved by the Porters.[/quote]

I know what you are saying, and agree with you 100%. IMO Miami is still the worse port I've ever been to as far as the porters go. I just simply refuse to pay anyone trying extort money out me. I done this for years and have never yet (Knock on wood) lost a bag.

[quote name='skylock']I simply do not believe your story.

There is a big sign that says no tipping. I never tip PERIOD. I have never missed a bag.

There is no sign at my place of employment but I have never to this day received a tip.

You people amaze me.[/quote]

Bravo, Bravo... I agree people amaze me too. I think the porters and the transfer bus drivers must be in bed together. The drivers won't let you off the bus until the luggage is unloaded, and then they stand at the door with their hands out, and then the porters harass you for money.

The porters are making union wages and the driver's tip is included in the transfer fee. Therefore when the finaly let you off the bus I just walk past both of them and head into the terminal. They have no Idea what bags are mine, and I too have never lost one.

If you want a tip from, then provide me a service that I haven't already paid for.

I work my job, and nobody tips me.

[quote name='NCTribeFan']But the porters only get your bags and put them on the luggage carts, no? They don't take them into the terminal. They don't scan them. They don't personally deliver them to your cabin.

Do they?

Do you really think your case will end up in the water if you give $1/bag instead of $5?

I don't.[/quote]

Your right they but them in a big bin and then using a fork truck put them in the hold of the ship, where ship's crew delivers them to your cabin.

No I don't think your bags will end up in the drink.

[quote name='Firsttimescaredcruiser!']Just my two cents for what it's worth.

My first cruise was the Elation out of Miami. I as a member of cruise critic and did all my homework. Found out that the typical tip at the pier was one dollar per bag. So I was prepared had my tip in hand as we got off our carnival transfer(bus) from the airport. I then became ticked as the two guys in white porter uniforms told us(the group from the bus) that they wouldn't want to be our bags if they didn't get a tip!! I felt very bad for the couple in front of us. She wasn't prepared and only had travelers checks. I told her to stand with us and I handed him my folded money. Said here is the tip for our bags.

My question is....how did he know which bags were mine? He didn't I never walked over to them. I had watched as they unloaded the luggage when we were on the bus, so I knew it was all there.

Just really made me angry ...to hear the spouting off as we came off
the bus.

NOW, as we came back a week later our bags were in the customs warehouse... the sweetest gentleman known to man came up and I asked if he could take care of our bags...Not once did he beg, demand or try to scare a tip from us.

I gave him 20. just because I wanted to. If I'd had more cash on me I would have gladly given more.
:p[/quote]

I agree. They don't know whos bag is whos.

This reminds me of our most recent trip to Vegas. We had 2 bags we left with the bell desk, which no one greeted us when we got out of the cab. We had to ask the check in deck for someone to come over for our luggage, and we waited 5 minutes for that. When we finally got our room and called down for our luggage, I tipped the gentlemen $4 for the 2 bags and when I closed the door I heard him say very loudly "you've got to be kidding". That to me was soo rude because I did not have to leave him anything! So I say tip what you feel is right, because hald the time it is probably not even appreciated.

[quote name='MrPete']All my cruises, I've never been bullied, nor seen anyone bullied.

I usually tip $1 a bag, or "thereabouts".[/quote]
I have in MIA and only in MIA. But, in Tampa and FLL you HAVE to tip the guy that hails the cab, like I can't do it myself, and take the bags for the porter and sits it in the truck of the cab. What happend to the days when the cabbie put your bags in the cab. One more guy demanding a tip.

[quote name='fllady61']first off, Our WALMART is not allowed to accept tips. NO tip buckets to be had in any walmart I have been in.

You have a store where there is someone to push your buggy out to your car and load your groceries????? WHERE????? Not here.[/quote]

Don't you have any Publix grocery stores near you? I work for them and know they are all over florida. Our baggers take the buggy out for you if you would like and are not allowed to take tips.

Archived