Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Hi...

My husband will be in Seattle for a couple of days after our Alaskan cruise, and I had a quick question for our Seattle expert.

I notice that the Fire Festival will be going on in Pioneer Square that weekend, and I was wondering how crowded it will be and if it is worth it to fight the crowds. I'd like to see Pioneer Square, but I don't know if it will be too crowded to enjoy the sights.

Thanks!!

Hi! Ken, enjoyed reading your report. Could you tell me what time you made it back to airport? I have 11:30 AM flight back to LAX, will I have problem? Thanks.:confused:

we were off ship by 8:15, took a few minutes to round up porter, loaded the shuttle, made the ride and were at the ticket counter just a few minutes past nine. We made sure we had early debarkation color/#. We could not do self debark due to Mom in wheelchair and Dad recovering from fractured wrist along with many bags. I would suggest self debark or at the least ensure you have one of the first colors along with pre-reserved transport back to airport. We did SHuttle Express exclusive van, not shared ($85 for six). It went flawless and would do it again. Another thought, had we done self assist, I think we would have been going off the ship around 7:20-7:30. Good luck and enjoy.

Hi...

My husband will be in Seattle for a couple of days after our Alaskan cruise, and I had a quick question for our Seattle expert.

I notice that the Fire Festival will be going on in Pioneer Square that weekend, and I was wondering how crowded it will be and if it is worth it to fight the crowds. I'd like to see Pioneer Square, but I don't know if it will be too crowded to enjoy the sights.

Thanks!!

I doubt that it will be horrendously crowded, though there is also a Seafair event going on in the I district that weekend, so the combination might make it somewhat more crowded than usual. I couldn't find any anticipated crowd numbers posted anywhere. Here is the best info I could find:

http://www.pioneersquare.org/fire.html

Was wondering if you could help with public transit routes from Mayflower Park Hotel to the Underground Tour and then from the Underground Tour back to the Space Needle, actually the Duck Tour. Thanks for your help.:o

Purplehair

we were off ship by 8:15, took a few minutes to round up porter, loaded the shuttle, made the ride and were at the ticket counter just a few minutes past nine. We made sure we had early debarkation color/#. We could not do self debark due to Mom in wheelchair and Dad recovering from fractured wrist along with many bags. I would suggest self debark or at the least ensure you have one of the first colors along with pre-reserved transport back to airport. We did SHuttle Express exclusive van, not shared ($85 for six). It went flawless and would do it again. Another thought, had we done self assist, I think we would have been going off the ship around 7:20-7:30. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for the detail info.. We definitely will try to get first debark color & reserve transport back to airport. Now I can rest easy.:)

Was wondering if you could help with public transit routes from Mayflower Park Hotel to the Underground Tour and then from the Underground Tour back to the Space Needle, actually the Duck Tour. Thanks for your help.:o

Purplehair

Walk over to 1st Avenue and catch the 15 or 18 on the water side of the street (Southbound). As to be let off at Pioneer Square. You will be in the ride free zone so you do not have to pay a fare.

Going from Pioneer to the Seattle Center catch the number 16 at the corner of 1st and Yesler in front of the Starbucks and Subway. You will get dropped off in front of the Duck Tour. You will have to pay as you leave the bus and it will either be $1.50 or $1.75 for adults - depending on the time of day. Drivers don't carry change to make sure you have some.

Thanks for your help. What about from Pikes Market back to the Mayflower, I will be traveling with a couple of elderly ladies and don't know if they will want to walk back up hill.

Purplehair

To get back, it is not uphill by much, if you walk to 1st Av and Pike (which is just two blocks south of Olive, which is where the Mayflower Park is on 4th Av). It is a reasonably flat walk from there, less than a 5% grade.

It's 5AM - I can't believe I've been up all night reading & digesting all 40+ pages of this thread :eek:

I also can't believe the good fortunate to have 'found you' :D .....altho as a CC member have read your posts on the ALASKA forum, I have not accessed this forum until this eve. WOW! :p A WEALTH of information.

Thank you, Karen, for all your very patient, repeated & repeated and informed information about SEATTLE.

I've 'cut & pasted' & saved your information as needed for reference

We are celebrating our 50th Anniversary on the Star Princess, Aug. 3, and are taking our family (16 Total ) along for the 'party'.

I would appreciate your comments on the following:

Each family of 3 will take a taxi 'transfer' as they arrive at Sea Tac. (1)family arriving with 4, goairportshuttle.com a 'shared' van shuttle seems to be best.

I used reward points :D for 5 rooms (2 nights) at Marriott Springhill Suites.

I arranged for Shuttle Express w/(2) vans @$62 ea. to transfer the 16 of us from Springhill to Pier 30 with 10:30 AM pickup.

Until your information, I didn't know Springhill was so close to Pier 30 and a nominal Taxi fare.

Now, I'm thinking it would be better to leave at 9 AM, (I like to be among the first in line for check in) & Perhaps (5) taxis would be (just as efficient) and cheaper?

FYI- There is a Mariner's game scheduled for Aug. 3 Embarkation Day and ALSO on Aug. 10 Disembarkation Day.

Will that impact taxi (s) and/or ShuttleExpress Van drive time on each day???

Most of the family is flying from the East Coast, some flying in from London & Toronto, on Friday, Aug. 1.

With arduous flights & difference in time zones, Saturday will be a 'sleep in' day for us.

I would like to find time to spend at Pike Market, purchase Wine for the Cruise, enjoy the seafood & browse the local 'color'.

Thank you.

:) Renee (aka GotToCruise)

:) Happy 50th Anniversary to you! What a wonderful

way to spend such a special ocassion!

Hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

Sounds like everything is planned perfectly too:D

It's 5AM - I can't believe I've been up all night reading & digesting all 40+ pages of this thread :eek:

I also can't believe the good fortunate to have 'found you' :D .....altho as a CC member have read your posts on the ALASKA forum, I have not accessed this forum until this eve. WOW! :p A WEALTH of information.

Thank you, Karen, for all your very patient, repeated & repeated and informed information about SEATTLE.

I've 'cut & pasted' & saved your information as needed for reference

We are celebrating our 50th Anniversary on the Star Princess, Aug. 3, and are taking our family (16 Total ) along for the 'party'.

I would appreciate your comments on the following:

Each family of 3 will take a taxi 'transfer' as they arrive at Sea Tac. (1)family arriving with 4, goairportshuttle.com a 'shared' van shuttle seems to be best.

I used reward points :D for 5 rooms (2 nights) at Marriott Springhill Suites.

I arranged for Shuttle Express w/(2) vans @$62 ea. to transfer the 16 of us from Springhill to Pier 30 with 10:30 AM pickup.

Until your information, I didn't know Springhill was so close to Pier 30 and a nominal Taxi fare.

Now, I'm thinking it would be better to leave at 9 AM, (I like to be among the first in line for check in) & Perhaps (5) taxis would be (just as efficient) and cheaper?

FYI- There is a Mariner's game scheduled for Aug. 3 Embarkation Day and ALSO on Aug. 10 Disembarkation Day.

Will that impact taxi (s) and/or ShuttleExpress Van drive time on each day???

Most of the family is flying from the East Coast, some flying in from London & Toronto, on Friday, Aug. 1.

With arduous flights & difference in time zones, Saturday will be a 'sleep in' day for us.

I would like to find time to spend at Pike Market, purchase Wine for the Cruise, enjoy the seafood & browse the local 'color'.

Thank you.

Renee:

Those are both day games for the M's, which means that they start at 1:00 pm and the gates open at 11:00 am. There could be some traffic buildup as early as 9 or 10, and it will be both inbound and outbound. Should not effect you getting from the hotel to Terminal 30 a huge amount, other than that it might a few minutes extra to get through the stadium area in SoDo to get there. Getting to the airport, it will kind of depend on how early you get off the ship and into your transfer. It could add up to a half an hour, or, if you are lucky and get on the road early, might not effect you at all.

Happy 50th. May your anniversary and your trip be richly blessed, since this is a milestone that few make any more. My parents made it to their 53rd.

Karen - Thank you for your prompt and thoughtful response! :D

I will be aware and plan for extra time for transfers for the game days!

Do you recommand keeping the ShuttleExpress (2) Vans, (Springhill to Pier 30) changing the Pick up time to 9 AM OR/ each family taking their own Taxi?

Would nominal taxi fare (Estimate for 3 Pax w/luggage + Tip ea. taxi - PLEASE??) be less expensive for (5) Taxis vs. (2) Exclusive Van Transfer fare @$124 + Tip ??? :rolleyes:

(I would 'heed' your warning and call for Taxis the night before and again in the 'early' morning at hourly intervals until they arrive ???)

Thanks again for reply.

:) Happy 50th Anniversary to you! What a wonderful

way to spend such a special ocassion!

Hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

Sounds like everything is planned perfectly too:D

Thanks so much for the good wishes Lois..........

I've been planning this for over a year (booked May 2006)

We are paying all cruisefares & Air (used miles), & Hotel Rooms (used points), & T-Shirt 'printing' - LOL!

The kids are $$ helping out with the Excursions :p

The 'upside' was that I used my Princess Visa and was able to get $700 in Cash Back 'Rewards' :D

I love to point out to my (4) kids that some on CC boards are taking their parents. I think I've spoiled them! :p & Happy to have been able to do so!!! They are all great kids & grandkids - we are very lucky!!

I hope everything turns out great for everyone!

Who do you should get the 'wine' bill? :D

Renee (aka GotToCruise)

Hi,

Wondering if 50 minutes at the Seattle airport is too close a call for changing planes from Horizon Air out of Vancouver to Alaska Airlines to Phoenix. Otherwise, I can choose a 1 hour 45 minute wait.

Generally, what side of the Seattle departure flight will offer a better view of the city?

Thank you.

Bruce

Thanks so much for the good wishes Lois..........

I've been planning this for over a year (booked May 2006)

We are paying all cruisefares & Air (used miles), & Hotel Rooms (used points), & T-Shirt 'printing' - LOL!

The kids are $$ helping out with the Excursions :p

The 'upside' was that I used my Princess Visa and was able to get $700 in Cash Back 'Rewards' :D

I love to point out to my (4) kids that some on CC boards are taking their parents. I think I've spoiled them! :p & Happy to have been able to do so!!! They are all great kids & grandkids - we are very lucky!!

I hope everything turns out great for everyone!

Who do you should get the 'wine' bill? :D

Renee (aka GotToCruise)

Hi Renee, wow..you are wonderful Parents and Grandparents!!!

Wanna adopt me?:D

I cannot remember which cruise it was, but I met a family

on board. Grandparents, parents, kids, and grandkids and the

Grandparents were doing the same thing you are...although

when she and I chatted (they were extremely, extremely nice)

I was under the impression they paid for e v e r y t h i n g.

She told me they did a family vacation every year and this

time it was a cruise. I remember thinking, they are going

to have some kind of a bar bill:eek:. I recall getting off the ship

with some of them at one of the ports.

Anyway, hope you have a wonderful time!

Hi,

Wondering if 50 minutes at the Seattle airport is too close a call for changing planes from Horizon Air out of Vancouver to Alaska Airlines to Phoenix. Otherwise, I can choose a 1 hour 45 minute wait.

Generally, what side of the Seattle departure flight will offer a better view of the city?

Thank you.

Bruce

Given Horizon's on-time records, I would definitely opt for the longer connection.

As far as side of the plane goes, it's hard to say. More takeoffs are to the south than to the north, in which case you don't fly over the city at all, and the best views would be out the left side, where Mt. Rainier should be visible. If the takeoff is to the north, then the right side is preferable, but you won't know which way the plane's taking off until the day of flight.

However the view of the city from the Horizon flight is great; I would definitely pick the the left side for that flight, although sometimes Horizon goes right over downtown in which case it's 50 - 50 as to which side of the plane will offer Space Needle/skyscraper views.

Karen - Thank you for your prompt and thoughtful response! :D

I will be aware and plan for extra time for transfers for the game days!

Do you recommand keeping the ShuttleExpress (2) Vans, (Springhill to Pier 30) changing the Pick up time to 9 AM OR/ each family taking their own Taxi?

Would nominal taxi fare (Estimate for 3 Pax w/luggage + Tip ea. taxi - PLEASE??) be less expensive for (5) Taxis vs. (2) Exclusive Van Transfer fare @$124 + Tip ??? :rolleyes:

(I would 'heed' your warning and call for Taxis the night before and again in the 'early' morning at hourly intervals until they arrive ???)

Thanks again for reply.

Renee: Drop fee is $2.50 then $2.50 per mile and $0.50 per person over two pax, plus $2.00 fuel surcharge. My guess is that it is five miles or less from SpringHill to Terminal 30, so you should figure that it will be in the neighborhood of $15.00 per taxi plus tip. Thus, considerably cheaper than that price for Shuttle Express. And, yes, I would follow the call early, call often procedure.

Hi,

Thank you.

Bruce

Bruce: to be "legal" a connection is one hour when changing airlines and/or concourses. Though Horizon and Alaska are part of the same company, they use many of the concourses and gates at SEA-Tac, so this is a little close, if you ask me. I would go for the longer time, especially if the flight is late arriving.

1. Gray Line Airporter with Connector Service goes directly there, and is much more economical than either of those other choices

http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

2. Depends on the traffic. If there is a home game at Safeco Field on the day you are disembarking, it could add 30-45 or more minutes to your trip. Average from Terminal 30 to the airport should be an hour or a bit less at midday, more in the later afternoon or evening. SInce you are sailing on RCI, you cannot take the cruise express from Terminal 30 to the airport (it is reserved strictly for HAL and Princess). Taxi likely your best bet there....cost about $40.00 for two plus tip as appropriatel

3. Depends on what you are interested in. You are about 1-1.5 miles from Seattle Center...Space Needle, Duck Tour, EMP/SciFi museum. You are about 2 miles from the Market, but they close at 6 during the week and 5 on the weekend. Underground Tour in Pioneer Square is about 5 miles away. Most are accessible by bus from Dexter Av, but you will have to go downtown and change buses for all but the Seattle Center attractions. For those you can walk out to the corner of Dexter and Denny and catch the number 8 bus (on the Denny side of the park (northeast corner) and get off at 5th and Broad (two stops from Dexter and Denny) and walk the rest of the way (about two blocks).

Thank you so much for the information! I thought I had already sent you a thank you but I am falling behind times! Thank goodness you are so much more reliable than me! I appreciate your information! Again, thank you!

Given Horizon's on-time records, I would definitely opt for the longer connection.

As far as side of the plane goes, it's hard to say. More takeoffs are to the south than to the north, in which case you don't fly over the city at all, and the best views would be out the left side, where Mt. Rainier should be visible. If the takeoff is to the north, then the right side is preferable, but you won't know which way the plane's taking off until the day of flight.

However the view of the city from the Horizon flight is great; I would definitely pick the the left side for that flight, although sometimes Horizon goes right over downtown in which case it's 50 - 50 as to which side of the plane will offer Space Needle/skyscraper views.

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions.We'll take the later connection, and take our chances with the left side of the plane for both flights.

Bruce

Renee: Drop fee is $2.50 then $2.50 per mile and $0.50 per person over two pax, plus $2.00 fuel surcharge. My guess is that it is five miles or less from SpringHill to Terminal 30, so you should figure that it will be in the neighborhood of $15.00 per taxi plus tip. Thus, considerably cheaper than that price for Shuttle Express. And, yes, I would follow the call early, call often procedure.

HOORAY & Thank you for 'spelling it out' for me......it's much as I thought after reading thru th entire thread the other nite :rolleyes:

Springhil to Pier 30 byTaxi:

3 Pax Fare=$15+$5 Tip=$20 X(5) Taxis = $100 Total

(Need to KEEP CALLING for Taxi Arrival)

vs.

Springhill to Pier 30 by Exclusive Van:

8 Pax Fare=$62+$8 Tip =$70 X(2) Vans= $140 Total

I can save money by using TAXIS - however, it may be a herculean effort to get (5) Taxis to the Hotel for Pick-Up on time???

I'm going to check this out with my kids - some may want to take Taxis and others leave a bit later w/Taxi???

I might just 'Split us up for Transfer' & keep (1) Van as confirmed reservation & leave some kids for Taxi Transfer.

:rolleyes: Thinking out loud here, I could go over early, with the Van and some of the kids - the others could follow w/Taxi.

This could prevent a 'Sheep Herder' situation for all 16 of us :eek:

(Wonder how 'nasty' it would be for the late arrivals to 'cut in the line' ?? ;) )

I have the 'nitty gritty' facts, thanks to you, & I can make an informed decision!

You are really so very kind to answer everyone's 'queries'.......

If you ever need answers to some "South Florida' questions ? Please e-mail me & I'll try to be as helpful to you! :D

Hi There...this question is for Seattlecruiselover...

Do you know anything about The Watertown Hotel? My understanding is that it is close to the University and 20 minutes or so from downtown. They have a free shuttle service to downtown both ways and also free service to the terminal for cruise passengers.

I liked what the Hotel had to offer, we can stay downtown just not sure if we want to spend the money or not, or if perhaps its better for the convience.

We leave on 7/27 and will be flying in Friday night the 25th.

Thanks for any input...you are most generous with your time and information!

Kathy

HOORAY & Thank you for 'spelling it out' for me......it's much as I thought after reading thru th entire thread the other nite :rolleyes:

Springhil to Pier 30 byTaxi:

3 Pax Fare=$15+$5 Tip=$20 X(5) Taxis = $100 Total

(Need to KEEP CALLING for Taxi Arrival)

vs.

Springhill to Pier 30 by Exclusive Van:

8 Pax Fare=$62+$8 Tip =$70 X(2) Vans= $140 Total

I can save money by using TAXIS - however, it may be a herculean effort to get (5) Taxis to the Hotel for Pick-Up on time???

I'm going to check this out with my kids - some may want to take Taxis and others leave a bit later w/Taxi???

I might just 'Split us up for Transfer' & keep (1) Van as confirmed reservation & leave some kids for Taxi Transfer.

:rolleyes: Thinking out loud here, I could go over early, with the Van and some of the kids - the others could follow w/Taxi.

This could prevent a 'Sheep Herder' situation for all 16 of us :eek:

(Wonder how 'nasty' it would be for the late arrivals to 'cut in the line' ?? ;) )

I have the 'nitty gritty' facts, thanks to you, & I can make an informed decision!

You are really so very kind to answer everyone's 'queries'.......

If you ever need answers to some "South Florida' questions ? Please e-mail me & I'll try to be as helpful to you! :D

Renee: Other than the dirty looks that you might get for cutting in line, I'm not certain that they would actually stop you since you would be attempting to join others already in line, but you won't know that until you actually try it. The lines at Terminal 30 get horrendously long after about 10:30 to 11:00 am, and stay that way for several hours. They often snake around the building and out into the parking lot. (Why I'm going to get there at 8 am and be the first one in line for embarkation when I go...I may have to stand in line for a while early, but I'll be aboard way earlier than those who show up a couple of hours later..)

Archived