Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Hi There...this question is for Seattlecruiselover...

Do you know anything about The Watertown Hotel? My understanding is that it is close to the University and 20 minutes or so from downtown. They have a free shuttle service to downtown both ways and also free service to the terminal for cruise passengers.

I liked what the Hotel had to offer, we can stay downtown just not sure if we want to spend the money or not, or if perhaps its better for the convience.

We leave on 7/27 and will be flying in Friday night the 25th.

Thanks for any input...you are most generous with your time and information!

Kathy

Kathy: I really don't know a whole lot about it, other than it is new. From looking at their website, it appears to be nicely appointed, and is in a reasonably good area, with plenty of things around it for dining and such. If the price is right, I imagine that it would be all right for you.

http://www.watertownseattle.com/

Hi There...this question is for Seattlecruiselover...

Do you know anything about The Watertown Hotel? My understanding is that it is close to the University and 20 minutes or so from downtown. They have a free shuttle service to downtown both ways and also free service to the terminal for cruise passengers.

I liked what the Hotel had to offer, we can stay downtown just not sure if we want to spend the money or not, or if perhaps its better for the convience.

We leave on 7/27 and will be flying in Friday night the 25th.

Thanks for any input...you are most generous with your time and information!

Kathy

We live near the Watertown and its sister property, the University Inn (a block apart from each other.) http://www.universityinnseattle.com/ We actually stayed at the University Inn for a week 18 months ago when a cedar tree in our back yard decided during a big storm that it had had enough of this standing up stuff, so it took a long nap across our fence and the power lines for the neighborhood. We were extremely popular with the neighbors for a week. Not.

Anyway, they're both quite nice, the Watertown being a bit fancier than the University Inn.

They're in the University District around 3 miles north of downtown. The University Inn has a decent restaurant on the premises, the Portage Bay Cafe; however it's only open for breakfast and lunch (and one of the better breakfasts in town.) Other restaurants from either it or the Watertown are a couple of blocks' walk (over to University Way) where the offerings tend to be what you'd expect in a college neighborhood - a lot of small ethnic restaurants, a couple of fast food places, lots of espresso stands, and so on. The neighborhood can be fun or a little off-putting if you're unfamiliar with street culture amongst today's college-aged folks. We like the U District, but we've lived here a long time.

You might check rates at the Inn as well as the Watertown. I know they offer the same shuttle services, since they're owned by the same people.

Renee: Other than the dirty looks that you might get for cutting in line, I'm not certain that they would actually stop you since you would be attempting to join others already in line, but you won't know that until you actually try it. The lines at Terminal 30 get horrendously long after about 10:30 to 11:00 am, and stay that way for several hours. They often snake around the building and out into the parking lot. (Why I'm going to get there at 8 am and be the first one in line for embarkation when I go...I may have to stand in line for a while early, but I'll be aboard way earlier than those who show up a couple of hours later..)

Wow! that's offputting ........

I'm sure the kids won't want to be up and out by 8 AM for the Transfer to Pier 30 :rolleyes:

I just might go in a Taxi w/ DH & myself @ 8AM and let the kids take the Van later.........

I will be too excited to sleep anyway.

Will the Porters be at curbside to take the luggage that early??

Then again, we'll have to see the weather - if it's raining and there's no cover for the First Security Screening line Outside - It may be better to go after 1PM and just walk right on through.

I'm driving myself crazy trying to tie up all these loose ends for everyone.....

Thanks for keeping me in the 'loop'......when we board here in FLL. you have a nice place to wait, and I've never had a problem at an Overseas embarkation, except at Osaka, where they were not prepared for the crowds! :rolleyes: We just dropped off the luggage and went sightseeing in the area until the crowds disappeared!

Thanks again,

:) Renee (aka GotToCruise)

I just called Springhill Downtown after seeing Karen's post on the other thread -We have 5 rooms there for our Aug. cruise.

Springhill said they will arrange a shuttle to Pier 30 for $6 pp :p

How great is that?? They said to just tell them at check in !

I was driving myself crazy and had already arranged 2 ShuttleExpress Exclusive Vans for our Family Group.

The cost will be the same but now everyone can pick their own time for transfer & let Springhill handle it for them.

DH & I will leave EARLY as Karen suggested!

I'm a Happy Camper! :D

Wow! that's offputting ........

I'm sure the kids won't want to be up and out by 8 AM for the Transfer to Pier 30 :rolleyes:

I just might go in a Taxi w/ DH & myself @ 8AM and let the kids take the Van later.........

I will be too excited to sleep anyway.

Will the Porters be at curbside to take the luggage that early??

Then again, we'll have to see the weather - if it's raining and there's no cover for the First Security Screening line Outside - It may be better to go after 1PM and just walk right on through.

I'm driving myself crazy trying to tie up all these loose ends for everyone.....

Thanks for keeping me in the 'loop'......when we board here in FLL. you have a nice place to wait, and I've never had a problem at an Overseas embarkation, except at Osaka, where they were not prepared for the crowds! :rolleyes: We just dropped off the luggage and went sightseeing in the area until the crowds disappeared!

Thanks again,

:) Renee (aka GotToCruise)

The longshoremen actually start taking luggage between 8:30 and 9:00 am, which is about what time I figure I will be there after waiting for a taxi from here and the drive there.

And, yep, there is no shelter outside there at all . But we are probably mostly done with rain on other than a very occasional basis until September now.

To Obperal:

"Could you tell me what time you made it back to airport? I have 11:30 AM flight back to LAX, will I have problem? Thanks.:confused:"

I just did the same flight back to LAX this past Sat. I did the self-disembark, was off the boat by 8am and at the airport with luggage checked in by 9:05am. And this was with waiting for 15 min for the cruise shuttle to fill up. I had almost 2 hrs to kill before the flight started boarding. If you take a taxi, it could be even quicker (if all goes smoothly with your disembarkation process, of course).

"Aquarium is the closest of the three (down near Pier 66 cruise terminal). Zoo is some miles north of downtown, and the Museum of Flight is but 5 miles or so north of SEA-Tac airport, so both would be unlikely in terms of the target time to get there, tour and get back to pick up bags. Yep, two taxis sounds about right."

Hi Karen,

Just wanted to let you know 4 in our party ended up going to the Aquarium this past Sat and had a wonderful time. Thanks for all your advice on this thread! Our trip was wonderful and Seattle is a beautiful city. It looked like MN (where we're from) but more hilly and an ocean nearby:).

Kathy

"Aquarium is the closest of the three (down near Pier 66 cruise terminal). Zoo is some miles north of downtown, and the Museum of Flight is but 5 miles or so north of SEA-Tac airport, so both would be unlikely in terms of the target time to get there, tour and get back to pick up bags. Yep, two taxis sounds about right."

Hi Karen,

Just wanted to let you know 4 in our party ended up going to the Aquarium this past Sat and had a wonderful time. Thanks for all your advice on this thread! Our trip was wonderful and Seattle is a beautiful city. It looked like MN (where we're from) but more hilly and an ocean nearby:).

Kathy

Kathy: You're more than welcome. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Just got back! I wish we would have had more time in Seattle, what a wonderful city!

Here is a little bit I cut and pasted from my NCL review. I just wanted to share and hopefully this will help someone. :)

Flew Alaska Airlines from LAX to Seattle on Friday night. Luggage came at the baggage claim right away. We took the Greyline which is quite a long walk to get there. The bus driver gave us a “tour” while driving us to our hotel. Stayed at the Sheraton downtown and had booked it on Hotwire for $120. When we pulled up in front, I was surprised at what a beautiful hotel it was, quite upscale. I had requested the new tower and got it. Was treated well, no mention of Hotwire at all. Seattle is gorgeous!

We ate at The Cheesecake Factory for dinner (5 minute walk), there isn’t much around there for eating. Hotel room was very nice, but bed was small, a double.

For breakfast we ate a muffin, coffee etc at the little place in the hotel. $10.00 for the 4 of us.

The front of the hotel was a madhouse. We asked a Bellman for a taxi and told him there was 4 of us, 3 large pieces of luggage and one carry on. He said we would fit in one taxi, and we did.....it was tight though! The taxi driver was like a taxi driver from NYC and I was convinced we were going to die.....LOL. Cab fare was about $10.00.

Here are pics of Seattle.....pics # 18, 19, 20, and 22 are in the Pioneer Square area. I think we will stay there next time.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563892524SEJGDI?start=0

Just got back! I wish we would have had more time in Seattle, what a wonderful city!

Here is a little bit I cut and pasted from my NCL review. I just wanted to share and hopefully this will help someone. :)

Flew Alaska Airlines from LAX to Seattle on Friday night. Luggage came at the baggage claim right away. We took the Greyline which is quite a long walk to get there. The bus driver gave us a “tour” while driving us to our hotel. Stayed at the Sheraton downtown and had booked it on Hotwire for $120. When we pulled up in front, I was surprised at what a beautiful hotel it was, quite upscale. I had requested the new tower and got it. Was treated well, no mention of Hotwire at all. Seattle is gorgeous!

We ate at The Cheesecake Factory for dinner (5 minute walk), there isn’t much around there for eating. Hotel room was very nice, but bed was small, a double.

For breakfast we ate a muffin, coffee etc at the little place in the hotel. $10.00 for the 4 of us.

The front of the hotel was a madhouse. We asked a Bellman for a taxi and told him there was 4 of us, 3 large pieces of luggage and one carry on. He said we would fit in one taxi, and we did.....it was tight though! The taxi driver was like a taxi driver from NYC and I was convinced we were going to die.....LOL. Cab fare was about $10.00.

Here are pics of Seattle.....pics # 18, 19, 20, and 22 are in the Pioneer Square area. I think we will stay there next time.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563892524SEJGDI?start=0

I couldn't help myself but to laugh at the taxi driver comment.......:D

we were off ship by 8:15, took a few minutes to round up porter, loaded the shuttle, made the ride and were at the ticket counter just a few minutes past nine. We made sure we had early debarkation color/#. We could not do self debark due to Mom in wheelchair and Dad recovering from fractured wrist along with many bags. I would suggest self debark or at the least ensure you have one of the first colors along with pre-reserved transport back to airport. We did SHuttle Express exclusive van, not shared ($85 for six). It went flawless and would do it again. Another thought, had we done self assist, I think we would have been going off the ship around 7:20-7:30. Good luck and enjoy.

I reserved ShuttleExpress Exclusive Van, not shared, ($95.50 for 10 passengers w/AAA discount). We have flights at approx. the same time, but different airlines - the driver will make 3 drops, United, Delta & Nowthwest.

We plan to all be off the ship by 9AM - The ShuttleExpress Van is reserved for 9:30.

I was told there is an 'on site' supervisor that will dispatch the van. We would rather not do 'self assist' - We will request early disembark color.

1. Get off ship by 9AM

2. Get the luggage

3. Get Porter to help

(Send 1 in our party ahead to find the ShuttleExpress dispatcher)

4. Load Van by 9:30

5. Arrive SEA TAc by 10:30 (First flight on Northwest is 12:30PM)

(Mariner's Game in the afternoon, maybe traffic delays?)

Hope this helps w/other's plans :)

Renee (aka GotToCruise)

Hi Renee, I admire everything you are doing for the family:)

Have a question though, when it comes to disembarking the

ship, how can you be 100% sure you will be off at 9am?

I am just talking hypothetically....what if they have a problem

with folks who haven't paid and they are calling names for an

extra half hour?

Or just something out of the ordinary and the ship is late?

I hope when you made your reservations the folks at the

Shuttle Place have some sort of leeway period.......

I don't know how to access a "blog"! We got the Sheraton, on Priceline, for less then the Best Western at the airport. Thursday friends fron NJ, who originally hail from Seattle, are taking us around. Friday we want to do the Ducks tour in the AM and are doing Boeing tour with Gray Line in PM. Also using their airport shuttle back and forth. Want to go to the Bell Street Diner after tour for dinner. ? is whats the best way to go to the pier area from Sheraton? Do you know the Bell Street Diner? My doctor's office manager said it's very good, with nice scenery. True? Want to see the area and have dinner. Thanks, and how do I get to your blog?

I don't know how to access a "blog"! We got the Sheraton, on Priceline, for less then the Best Western at the airport. Thursday friends fron NJ, who originally hail from Seattle, are taking us around. Friday we want to do the Ducks tour in the AM and are doing Boeing tour with Gray Line in PM. Also using their airport shuttle back and forth. Want to go to the Bell Street Diner after tour for dinner. ? is whats the best way to go to the pier area from Sheraton? Do you know the Bell Street Diner? My doctor's office manager said it's very good, with nice scenery. True? Want to see the area and have dinner. Thanks, and how do I get to your blog?

Nancy: If you are a walker, I would just walk from the Sheraton to the Bell Street Diner from the Sheraton (it would be about 1.5 miles downhill), and then take the buses back up the hill. To walk down, go down Pike Street to the Market, go through the market to the elevator (anyone can tell you where it is) to the parking garage. Take the elevator to the waterfront/parking level. Go out of the garage to Alaskan Way, cross the street and take a right straight down to the diner.

To get back, there is a waterfront "streetcar" stop right out in front of the diner. Take it to the stop for the ferry terminal (just ask the driver), and transfer there to the 16 or 66 buses, which will take you to 3rd & Pike, then just walk back to the Sheraton (6th & Pike) from there.

Since I am a part time travel agent, I am not allowed to post my blog's URL here (sorry....:( ). I do, however, cross post some of my blog posts here from time to time. I have done some here on Pike Place Market, the Olympic Sculpture Park, and the Woodland Park Zoo, which you should be able to access using the forum search for the West Coast Departure threads.

From the Sheraton to the pier, if there are just 2 of you, I would just grab a taxi.

One thing though, your signature says you are sailing Sapphire Princess. I thought she sailed from Vancouver?

Hi Renee, I admire everything you are doing for the family:)

Have a question though, when it comes to disembarking the

ship, how can you be 100% sure you will be off at 9am?

I am just talking hypothetically....what if they have a problem

with folks who haven't paid and they are calling names for an

extra half hour?

Or just something out of the ordinary and the ship is late?

I hope when you made your reservations the folks at the

Shuttle Place have some sort of leeway period.......

We will all apply for the First Color called for Disembarkation (except my London kids - they are leaving in the eve. and should arrange to take the Princess Seattle (post cruise) Tour and be dropped off at the airport)

I assume the rest of us will be able to disembark by at least 9AM :rolleyes:

(off course the first 3 letters in assume - ...well - you get the picture :p )

If delayed for any reason, I'll just get off (alone & won't bother with the luggage - leave that to the ones behind me,) find the on-site coordinator and tell them the rest will be along soon with the luggage.....it's a plan anyway......best I can do.........

:) Renee (GotToCruise)

Karen - you've probably been asked this many times before but I scanned some of the pages of this thread and didnt see it so forgive me for asking.

We are staying at the Seattle Marriott waterfront the night before our cruise and wont have a car. Is there anywhere nearby for us to buy a couple 12 packs of soda and water to bring on the cruise? Hopefully not too far of a walk?

Thanks.

Karen - you've probably been asked this many times before but I scanned some of the pages of this thread and didnt see it so forgive me for asking.

We are staying at the Seattle Marriott waterfront the night before our cruise and wont have a car. Is there anywhere nearby for us to buy a couple 12 packs of soda and water to bring on the cruise? Hopefully not too far of a walk?

Thanks.

There is a little deli across the street that has sodas and water, but not in 12 pack configuration. To get those, you will need to go to either the IGA at 3rd & Pike or Dan's Belltown Market at 3rd & Bell, either of which are about 1.25 miles away, uphill there, downhill on the way back.

Hi Karen,

I just found this thread. We are staying at the doubletree at the airport 7/25 ship leaves 7/26..Could you tell me what is the best way to get to pier 30 on Sat. morning. Also we are going back to doubletree on Aug 2 after the cruise to stay overnight and would like to see some of Seattle that day. Should we go to hotel then see if they have some kind of tour to space needle, pikes market etc so we can drop off our luggage. We have an early 7:05 flight out on Sunday. I will be travelling with 2 grandchildren 12 and 16. Appreciate all of your help.

Thanks

Doris

Hi Karen,

I just found this thread. We are staying at the doubletree at the airport 7/25 ship leaves 7/26..Could you tell me what is the best way to get to pier 30 on Sat. morning. Also we are going back to doubletree on Aug 2 after the cruise to stay overnight and would like to see some of Seattle that day. Should we go to hotel then see if they have some kind of tour to space needle, pikes market etc so we can drop off our luggage. We have an early 7:05 flight out on Sunday. I will be travelling with 2 grandchildren 12 and 16. Appreciate all of your help.

Thanks

Doris

Since you are sailing on Golden, this is probably the most economical way for you to get from the airport to Termnal 30:

http://www.graylineseattle.com/cruiseexpress1.cfm

On the way back, you could take Princess' city tour, that will take you back to the airport, then the shuttle from airport to hotel:

Best Of Seattle

A visit to Seattle isn't complete without exploring the city's two most famous attractions, the Space Needle and Pike Place Market.

On a narrated tour through downtown, pass Seattle's new professional sports stadiums and the International District, filled with exotic aromas. Discover Pioneer Square, Seattle's 1852 birthplace and a National Historic District, which has retained much of its original flavor. Soar to the top of the Space Needle for an unforgettable view of the "Emerald City" and the scenic mountains and water that surround it.

Then, travel to Pike Place Market, home of the world-famous flying fish! The oldest open-air farmer's market on the West Coast boasts hundreds of artisans, local farmers, fishmongers and curio shops. After free time to explore the market, reboard your motorcoach for a ride to the airport or your downtown hotel.

For a nominal fee, include the Shipboard Airline Check-In Service and you'll receive your airline boarding pass before disembarking the ship; your luggage will be transported from the ship to the aircraft and will be available at your home airport after you deplane. If adding the Shipboard Airline Check-In Service the rate for the tour is $59 per adult and $32 per child. Please be advised that this service is only available to guests flying within the U.S. on the following airlines: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Continental, Delta, Airtran, Northwest and United. No international flights allowed.

To view video footage of this tour CLICK HERE

SPECIAL NOTES

This tour is available to passengers disembarking in Seattle and holding departure flights after 3:00pm the same day or overnighting in a downtown hotel. Airport transfer included. This tour can accommodate electric wheelchairs and scooters. Passengers with disabilities must contact the onboard Tour Office at least 48 hours prior to the excursion to ensure arrangements can be made to meet their particular needs.

You would, of course, not want to do the bag check option. This can be found in your cruise personalizer at princess.com under shore excursions for Seattle on day of disembarkation.

We've always wanted to see Seattle. Had a free companion ticket, but only good for lower 48. Sooooooooo, going to Seattle for 3 days, fly to Vancouver on Alaska Air, another free companion ticket, then cruise. We're transferring to Anchorage where we will begin 11 days on our own in a rental car. Made lots of reservations using a coupon book, everyone I've spoken to have been very helpful. I'm turning 60 the day we arrive in Seattle and we are celebrating my DH retiring this June. So BIG trip!;)

Hi SeattleCruiseLover,

We will be arriving at seatac by 9 and will be at pier 30 by 10.30. We will be sailing HAL Amsterdam on July 25. If we check in our baggages, can we grab a taxi and go to Downtown, check out some attractions for 2hrs and be back on time before the cruise leave? We are first time cruise people, so no idea how it works with cruise or Seattle Pier 30.

thanks

Archived