Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Karen:

Approximately how much will a taxi charge going from Comfort Suites east of Airport to Amtrak Train station (we're heading to Vanc)?

Also how much time should we allow betw motel and station on a Thurs AM? -- we want to be at train station BY 6:30 AM.

The day before (a Wed) we want to drive from that same motel to a couple Woodinville wineries. Would I-5 or I-405 be the better choice?

Last year we took the Argosy Lake Union/Lake Washington boat trip. This year we are considering the Argosy Locks trip -- have you taken that one? taking a ferry across to Bainbridge or another spot -- any suggestions for me? Last year we stayed in Anacortes, took ferry to San Juan Island & loved our drive around the island.

Many many thanks for your assistance.

Sorry to read about you being laid off -- good luck with finding something else.

Karen, just wanted to say thanks for your suggestions. The duck tour was a lot of fun and the drive to Vancouver was beautiful...even stopped by the outlet mall on the way north...

Seattle is a beautiful city

Did you just frive from Seattle to Vancouver. We are planning this for May 09.

How long was the drive and border crossing?

Did you stop anywhere on the way?

Thanks for any Info.

Hi, my husband and I will be sailing into Seattle on Sept 14th. Our flight isnt until 2:45. Any suggestions on what we can do during the time we get off the ship and fly out? What can we do with our luggage and how do we get around?

Thanks,

Allison

Hi, my husband and I will be sailing into Seattle on Sept 14th. Our flight isnt until 2:45. Any suggestions on what we can do during the time we get off the ship and fly out? What can we do with our luggage and how do we get around?

Thanks,

Allison

Hi Allison:) the Pier has a storage service. I have used

them before. It used to be 3.00 per bag. (2 years ago).

You can leave your luggage there and go walking around

the city..Check out Pikes Market, stroll around.....its

a wonderful part of the city:)

If your flight it 2:45 you probably want to be at the aiport

near 1:00 or so.....you can go back to the Pier and grab

a cab to the airport.

This service (luggage)is through the City and its one

of the best ammenties I have found at any of the ports!:D

Kudos to the City of Seattle:)

Karen:

Approximately how much will a taxi charge going from Comfort Suites east of Airport to Amtrak Train station (we're heading to Vanc)?

Also how much time should we allow betw motel and station on a Thurs AM? -- we want to be at train station BY 6:30 AM.

The day before (a Wed) we want to drive from that same motel to a couple Woodinville wineries. Would I-5 or I-405 be the better choice?

Last year we took the Argosy Lake Union/Lake Washington boat trip. This year we are considering the Argosy Locks trip -- have you taken that one? taking a ferry across to Bainbridge or another spot -- any suggestions for me? Last year we stayed in Anacortes, took ferry to San Juan Island & loved our drive around the island.

Many many thanks for your assistance.

Sorry to read about you being laid off -- good luck with finding something else.

Taxi will be on the meter rather than flat rate, so you should expect $35.00-40.00 plus tip for two pax. I would plan on 60-90 minutes, because the rush hour traffic begins about 5 am and can be pretty heavy shortly after that.

I have not taken the Locks trip yet, that is on my agenda for October, after main tourist season is over. I used to live in Winslow (Bainbridge), so I took the ferry to Seattle every day. Nice trip, and only 1/2 hour each way.

I only ever take the bus to Woodinville and that area, and I think they go over the 520 bridge to get there (they go from downtown through the U district). From the airport, probably the I-5, but I would do a mapquest, just to be sure.

Isn't there a good science museum in Seattle? Would you recommend it for kids 13 and 10? Where is it in relation to the Marriott waterfront?

I don't know if this has been answered yet, I did not see one. But the Pacific Science Center is a great place. I know I enjoy it and our 8 year old niece did a few weeks ago. It is located on the old World's Fair Ground right next to the Space Needle. As for getting there I do not know the bus system so I could not help you there, so maybe a taxi would be a good choice. Maybe check with the Hotel they might have a shuttle.

Good Luck and enjoy

I did a search, but didn't find the answer so hope someone here can help.

Do I need to make reservations for the observation tower at the Space Needle ? I do not want to dine at the restaurant, just view the city from the Space Needle.

Thanks

Nope the last time I was there is was a walk up and get in line and they take you up and you come back down on your own time. I think it was $16 per adult and $8 for kids.

When we took our niece to the science center she wanted to go up the Space Needle real bad, so we put out the $40 and we were there about 1 minute! Nice views

Hi SeattleCruiseLover (Karen, is it?)

I am not going to ask a question, because I am sure it is answered somewhere else in this thread (just haven't been able to find it yet:) )

I just wanted to say thanks for all the great info! I was lead over here by Got2Cruise, and it has been very helpful.

Thanks a million!

Hi SeattleCruiseLover (Karen, is it?)

I am not going to ask a question, because I am sure it is answered somewhere else in this thread (just haven't been able to find it yet:) )

I just wanted to say thanks for all the great info! I was lead over here by Got2Cruise, and it has been very helpful.

Thanks a million!

You are very welcome. If you don't find it soon, ask anyway. The thread is getting kind of long, and the search feature doesn't always work.

Hi Karen (and everyone)

We are planning on cruising on Star Princess May 10, 2009 and are looking into hotels. I found Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, SEATTLE-CITY CENTER 226 AURORA AVENUE NORTH SEATTLE, WA 98109 UNITED STATES

This looks promising however can you tell me approximate cost of cab to the pier for the cruise? Appreciate all the info you have provided even though I have many pages to read yet :)

Thanks!

Mary in NC

Well, if you insist:)

I have done some searching and gotten some great ideas, but let me ask you this...

Pretend you are a somewhat directionally challenged 27 year old male traveling across the country from North Carolina with his new wife who is even more directionally challenged:) You are in a new city on a new coast preparing for your first ever cruise on the Norwegian Pearl. You are arriving 2 days before your sail date to see a little Seattle.

What hotel would you choose to give you the most bang for the buck and allow the best chance of exploring the city without getting majorly lost? What transportation would you use to get from the airport to hotel and hotel to pier (again, without getting lost:) )? What do you think would be the easiest and most fun option?

Would you bite the bullet and book a pre-cruise package with NCL to make it fool-proof?

Thanks for all the answers you have given so far. I really appreciate the help!

Hi Karen (and everyone)

We are planning on cruising on Star Princess May 10, 2009 and are looking into hotels. I found Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, SEATTLE-CITY CENTER 226 AURORA AVENUE NORTH SEATTLE, WA 98109 UNITED STATES

This looks promising however can you tell me approximate cost of cab to the pier for the cruise? Appreciate all the info you have provided even though I have many pages to read yet :)

Thanks!

Mary in NC

I can tell you what it would be THIS year, but next year is a crap shoot (pardon ma francais) what with fuel surcharges and all. This year it should be between $10 and $15 for two people including fuel surcharge, but excluding tip. Extra for extra pax and $2.00 per trip fuel surcharge (today that is, could be, will probably be, more tomorrow with fuel hitting over $4.50/gal for low test here right now).

Well, if you insist:)

I have done some searching and gotten some great ideas, but let me ask you this...

Pretend you are a somewhat directionally challenged 27 year old male traveling across the country from North Carolina with his new wife who is even more directionally challenged:) You are in a new city on a new coast preparing for your first ever cruise on the Norwegian Pearl. You are arriving 2 days before your sail date to see a little Seattle.

What hotel would you choose to give you the most bang for the buck and allow the best chance of exploring the city without getting majorly lost? What transportation would you use to get from the airport to hotel and hotel to pier (again, without getting lost:) )? What do you think would be the easiest and most fun option?

Would you bite the bullet and book a pre-cruise package with NCL to make it fool-proof?

Thanks for all the answers you have given so far. I really appreciate the help!

I have a directionally challenged daughter, so I can appreciate the problem. Here in town, I tell her that the way to remember where you are is to always remember that the salt water (Puget Sound/Elliott Bay) is west, the fresh water (Lakes Union and Washington) is east, the Space Needle is generally north (from downtown that is, it is south from North Seattle), and the Stadia are generally South (unless you are in South Seattle, then they are north).

I would NOT book a pre-cruise with NCL, because they have been having a few problems with their hotel to pier transfers lately, but that is just my take.

What is your hotel budget? If you can afford $300 or so per night and/or have Marriott loyalty points, I would stay at the Marriott Waterfront, which is directly across the street from Pier 66, where NCL leaves from. It is relatively central to all of the major tourist attractions, and within comfortable walking distance or easy bus transport. If your budget is less than this, let me know an approximate and I will give you some additional suggestions.

I just called Springhill Downtown after seeing Karen's post on the other thread -We have 5 rooms there for our Aug. cruise.

Springhill said they will arrange a shuttle to Pier 30 for $6 pp :p

GottoCruise: We are staying at the Springhill both pre & post cruise. Delighted to hear about the shuttle to the pier. Any idea if they pick you up at the pier to get back to the hotel?:confused: Guess I'll find out in about 8 days but if I can find out a little earlier, it couldn't hurt. Thanks!

As for hotel bookings we used Seattle Super Saver , operated by the Seattle Convention and Visitors Bureau. I spoke to a represenative recently and they do not have the prices for 2009 for the hotels as of yet. This past May we stayed at the Marriot's Springlill Suites on Yale . A breakfast is included in your stay and a shuttle is available but only to certain areas, free of charge . It leaves and picks up every half hour. The cost for our stay was $99 plus taxes. We thought this was a good deal for the price and plan to call back sometime in January 2009. The shuttle does not take you to the cruise port, they will call a cab when you are ready to leave.:)

As for hotel bookings we used Seattle Super Saver , operated by the Seattle Convention and Visitors Bureau. I spoke to a represenative recently and they do not have the prices for 2009 for the hotels as of yet. This past May we stayed at the Marriot's Springlill Suites on Yale . A breakfast is included in your stay and a shuttle is available but only to certain areas, free of charge . It leaves and picks up every half hour. The cost for our stay was $99 plus taxes. We thought this was a good deal for the price and plan to call back sometime in January 2009. The shuttle does not take you to the cruise port, they will call a cab when you are ready to leave.:)

Cruise terminal shuttle is new this year. $6.00 per person to either Pier 66 or Terminal 30 (though Terminal 30 should be replaced next year by Pier 92 cruise terminal). Room rates are climbing, too.

I just viewed someone's pictures from their Alaskan cruise. One of their Seattle pictures was in front of a flower stand at Pike's Market. The flower prices looked reasonable. I'd love to buy some flowers at the Market to put in our cabin once on board Princess. Does anyone know if Princess would let us do this? (I know you can order flowers from Princess, but the prices are a bit high.)

First, let me say I love this thread and appreciate the time and effort that you've put into it!

DH and I are staying at the Hampton (700 5th Ave N) and want to go to St. Paul's Episcopal on Roy & Queen Anne. Mass is at 8:00 am. Per Google maps, it's a straight line on Roy (I guess the hotel is at the corner of 5th & Roy) for .4 of a mile, which is walkable. But... do we want to walk it? Is it uphill? Safe neighborhood? Would we better off taking a cab?

TIA!

I just viewed someone's pictures from their Alaskan cruise. One of their Seattle pictures was in front of a flower stand at Pike's Market. The flower prices looked reasonable. I'd love to buy some flowers at the Market to put in our cabin once on board Princess. Does anyone know if Princess would let us do this? (I know you can order flowers from Princess, but the prices are a bit high.)

I've never known anyone to have problems carrying them aboard before.

First, let me say I love this thread and appreciate the time and effort that you've put into it!

DH and I are staying at the Hampton (700 5th Ave N) and want to go to St. Paul's Episcopal on Roy & Queen Anne. Mass is at 8:00 am. Per Google maps, it's a straight line on Roy (I guess the hotel is at the corner of 5th & Roy) for .4 of a mile, which is walkable. But... do we want to walk it? Is it uphill? Safe neighborhood? Would we better off taking a cab?

TIA!

You won't have any problems walking to the church. It is fairly level ground, and Lower Queen Anne is generally pretty safe. What I'm NOT totally certain of, though is if Roy goes all the way through, or if you have to walk out to Mercer. Mapquest it to be sure, because there may be a break in Roy Street near Seattle Center and the underpass.

What I'm NOT totally certain of, though is if Roy goes all the way through, or if you have to walk out to Mercer. Mapquest it to be sure, because there may be a break in Roy Street near Seattle Center and the underpass.

Thanks for the prompt reply! From what I can tell on the map, the hotel is several blocks west of the underpass, and the church itself is west of the hotel. The satellite image shows an uninterrupted stretch of street, so we should be good to go :) . Can't wait!

Archived